Is ur child slow in talking?

Sylvia

Hi im quite a new member here =)

Currently my son is 2 yrs 1 mth & 18 days old. He is smart in a way that

what thingz he do or see b4 he will remember but den till nw he still cant

speak in proper sentences. He dun even noe hw to call 'mummi' or 'mama'.

(but like 'papa', 'yiyi', 'gong gong', 'car', 'kor kor' & 'ball' he noe hw to

say) Im quite worrying for him, is that normal? & do u all think aft he enroll

into child care his speech will improve? :embarrassed:

(p.s: im nt single parent cuz im quite new i doesnt noe hw to go abt sorry..)

Last edited:

rykiel

not to worry, he already opened his mouth to talk liao its ok..iits just that he still doesnt know how to call u ~ .. mama mummi all that.. can he sae mummum?? ... my boy 20months 2weeks ( 1yr8mths ) .. cannot sae a single word yet.. he plays on his own will talk alot of bb talk which i dun understand .. i feel that as long as they're healthy, it doesnt matter how long they learn to walk or talk.. cos my boy now still wobbling !! .. and it kinda bother me at times but i'm always assured that he's healthy and growing well !! =D:Dancing_wub:

Sylvia

not to worry, he already opened his mouth to talk liao its ok..iits just that he still doesnt know how to call u ~ .. mama mummi all that.. can he sae mummum?? ... my boy 20months 2weeks ( 1yr8mths ) .. cannot sae a single word yet.. he plays on his own will talk alot of bb talk which i dun understand .. i feel that as long as they're healthy, it doesnt matter how long they learn to walk or talk.. cos my boy now still wobbling !! .. and it kinda bother me at times but i'm always assured that he's healthy and growing well !! =D:Dancing_wub:

Ya he keep talking in his own language.. guess im over worried :tlaugh:

stonston

u must talk more often to him, facing him...children learn by imitation...they see our mouth movements n learn fm there....

u can start with reading to him simple stories with basic sentences so he can pick up fm there...

example:
This is a ball.
I am Mummy.
Where is the wall?
Do you want milk?

speak slowly n facing him....he will pick up soon...dun worry...some babies learn e slow n steady way....

rykiel

yes yes .. at times he stares at me when i talk . . i talk about vehicles he looks at me .. ask him cal l ' mommi ' he turns awae -.-"" .. low morale liao la !! hahahhaa.. takes time.. slowli .. im also one kan cheong spider.. ds 20mths liao.. golden mouth nt yt open.. bOo

stonston

btw, bois tend to learn to talk later than gals, so dun compare with ur fren's gals!

they learn by imitating at this stage...literally 'monkey see monkey do'...

deardar

my son oso the same
he understand simple instruction & he can obey them
bt then he jus simply dun wan to talk

was seen @kk been referred to speech therapist

rykiel

my son oso the same

what do they teach at the speech therapy ??

Last edited:

xiaodaisy

er.. mine wan ah.. i can understand wat e small wan say but dh cant haha.. while sometimes my fren also know some of wat he say but cos he wanna act cool like zhou jielun mah so his words always eaten by him.. haha he speak words like stick together like tat loh.. as e eldest wan cos he have some problems so he speak slower but so far everyone knows wat he say juz i feel his eng is not up to standard wif other kids i saw yet.. haha

priscilla

I think different child develops at a different pace. My boy starts talking at 9 months and his first word was daddy. And at one year old, he can use full sentences.

Just talk to him all the time and explain what you are doing, and once they started talking, you can never stop them.

stonston

what do they teach at the speech therapy ??
if i'm not wrong, they teach them how to move their mouth/lips/tongue to help form words...for some kids, they dunno how to do it, speech therapists have some 'tools' to help e child....

actualli, some children do start talking later than others...esp those who face e TV everyday without much human interaction....

i think there's nothing to worry abt since he's already opening his mouth to speak ;)

my son only knws hw to talk in full sentences aft he turns 3..
so he's consider slow.
we even had him go to speech therapy when he's 2 & a half yrs old cos we were so worried.
went for only 2 lessons, & the therapist said there's nothing wrong with him..
aft he starts to go sch, he started coming hm, talking in sentences...
now he is always singing & reciting poems!
(>.<)

so i think aft he goes to sch, he will slowly knws hw to talk..

deardar

if i'm not wrong, they teach them how to move their mouth/lips/tongue to help form words...for some kids, they dunno how to do it, speech therapists have some 'tools' to help e child....

actualli, some children do start talking later than others...esp those who face e TV everyday without much human interaction....

ya that wad they do during the session

jopeck

BMSG Moderator
don't worry too much. kids develop at their own pace really. my girl only started really speaking at 3yrs and she's finally talking in sentences now (3.5yrs). We knew she understood what we were saying all along so weren't very worried.

my eldest started at about 10mths and was quite a talker very early on. My #3... well, he's at the single word stage - when he feels like it. (2yrs)

liangmum

i tink i must stop my ds frm watching his cartoons in the mornings liao !!! ..
hi
my dd, 14mths also watch tv everyday. He also slow in talking, often speak language whch none of us understand. He likes to mumber a lot... always 'yeayea..'

liangmum

my son oso the same

Hi deardar
hw u manage to get the referred letter to see the therapist? would like to try for my dd also if he still continue his language.