Jaundice after 1 month

zen

Alpha Male
Hi parents,

My one month old baby is having jaundice. His bilirubin level is 148 umol/l, carried out blood test for liver and liver is ok.

Think its probably caused by breast feeding.
Anyone experienced this before? Any advice?
Stop breast feeding?
Please share with me. Thanks.

PinkDiamonds

It's quite normal for breastfed babies to take 2-3months for the bilirubin levels to go down.

My twins are coming to 1 month old but their bilirubin levels are about 200 & 160.

Don't think there is a need to stop breastfeeding nor introduce FM as long as it is going down.

mi_dun_noe

Alpha Male
I think this is common as most of the babies will have it for the first 2 months ba. Subsequently will be better de. As long the blood test result for the liver is normal then no need worry too much, ok. Slowly will decrease day by day. Breastfeeding will cause jaundice. However no need to stop if doctor say "no problem go ahead."

zen

Alpha Male
This is my first baby. Brought my baby to polyclinic for injection in early afternoon, asked the doc to check his jaundice. The nurse don't know how to take out the blood, poke the needle in, no blood, poke again... my baby so painful.... Did blood test, results was 148, doc say very serious, ask us to bring him to nuh emergency...

Doc at nuh very young n inexperienced, says its not so serious, say she cannot do anything, did blood test for liver.... the doc don't know how to take out the blood, poke the needle, keep screwing the needle etc... my baby cried like hell..... Results came out, liver ok.... asked for for follow up next week.

My heart so painful that my baby go through all these suffering.. Don't wish to bring him back for another blood test but yet very worried.... really dilemma.....

Please share yr experience and advices. Thank you so much!

camom

My son's was very high when he was born. It was almost 350 umol/l (I did the conversion online cos the bilrubin level given by paed was in mg/dl) when we went for the 1st checkup a week after he was born and hospitalisation was recommended for phototherapy. He continued to be yellow beyond 2 mths actually with exclusive bf.

I found this on the internet. Wapedia - Wiki: Neonatal jaundice

chiro

my son still have jaundice even up to when he was 1 mth old

After the blood test showed that his liver is ok, PD told us to feed him on FM instead of breastmilk for 3 complete days.

True enough, no more jaundice

In fact, on that day before we brought him for the blood test, we fed him FM..and we found that jaundice have cleared alot lor...

and the following afternoon on that day PD clinic called to tell us to feed him on FM exclusively ...

advise u to pump out ur breastmilk when ur baby is on fm...otherwise ur supply will drop

btw, i really miss the days when my son was a new born...hahaa.. look left look right, smile,,lift up legs,.

now..at 21mths..he is very adventurous...playing with his own 3Gphone...

and got funny stunts that make me luff....

and most of the times dun let me carry him...sighhhhhh

jon409

ya ...damn heart pain when see them poke the needle for blood test!!!
my poke 2 time still wants to go back review...i dun care...reject them...change to formula milk...sun tan morning sun...goes away after 2 weeks...i think important is to check the blood test if its not endangering the baby then its ok...dun let the doc to to numeral test...sometime very angry with them! treat us like guinie pigs!!!
all from my own experience...jus to share...cheers