Jaundice - HELP

yvonne_ktw

We are home on Monday with 9.8 jaundice for my BB. Confinment lady didn't bring her to sunshine on Mon,Tues and say no need use a kind of chinese herb what "yellow yi" on Wednesday went PD checkup, jaundice didn't go down but yet go up to 11+ from Thursday to Sunday nanny bring her to shine and STOP liao.
she say no need le.
But i see BB still yellow lea. she say will recover de no need shine.
What she did is correct? How to justify her doing is wrong? Please teach me how to tell her if she's wrong.

boredmtb

Hi yvonne,

my baby was with 8.0 jaundice level which doc said is fine but first few days at home must have sunshine in the morning for about 15min, don't need direct sunlight, just place him in a very sunny room...

was staying with MIL during confinement and she too bathe baby with this yellow water and also told me no need to sun him..until 4th day, i told her what if first week check up and doc said jaundice level went up?

I told her she can carry on bathing him like that but must also let him have some sunlight in the morning..her friend came over and ask her if she did sun the baby....and the next day she did...

I think you should tell your confinement lady what is best for your child and not to be afraid. After all you are the mother.

yvonne_ktw

I think should sun but sun for how long ah?

She's 3weeks old now but I still see she's yellow. Cause stop sunning that's why yellow still there? Is there really such thing as no need sun yellow will go off slowly?

Hi yvonne,

my baby was with 8.0 jaundice level which doc said is fine but first few days at home must have sunshine in the morning for about 15min, don't need direct sunlight, just place him in a very sunny room...

was staying with MIL during confinement and she too bathe baby with this yellow water and also told me no need to sun him..until 4th day, i told her what if first week check up and doc said jaundice level went up?

I told her she can carry on bathing him like that but must also let him have some sunlight in the morning..her friend came over and ask her if she did sun the baby....and the next day she did...

I think you should tell your confinement lady what is best for your child and not to be afraid. After all you are the mother.

I heard that jaundice lvl too high will b dangerous? Cos some babies have to b retain in hospital or admit to hospital when the jaundice level too high. But i donno how high is high la. On the day we discharge, pd say baby jaundice abit high, needa bring back chk 3days later. Im to avoid eating ginger cos im breastfeeding. Can eat food cooked with ginger but cant eat the ginger itself.
Didnt bring my baby back to chk anyway. My mama every morning after bath my boy will 'sai tai yang', sounds like sunning clothes but she insist its a must. Im sorry i cant advise how long cos my mum did it for me n it was two yrs ago.. I only know use morning sun like those 9-11am, best n not harmful. Noon 12pm sun cannot. Morning sun best effect but i donno y.
But im surprise yr confinement says no need cos usually light jaundice u wont b able to c the yellow n when the baby looks yellow means quite bad. If very yellow then is very high liao. N usual those 40plus 50 onwards de 'older generation' they will insist the baby to b sunned de... Can try ask yr mother or mil or any other 长辈?

yvonne_ktw

Thanks dear for sharing. I am abit shock by this nanny's action too. My mother duno one. At fist my MIL go PD with BB n nanny and she came back tell me it's high n need sunning then she ask me keep quiet from nanny first i think she feel this nanny dun like to bring her go sunning.. But after that my MIL bo chap liao. she woke up quite late and she never question anything abt hows my BB doing or why the yellow still there. I told nanny by right should sun one. sun until it's gone isn't it? If 3weeks later go back the yellow still there and doctor say it's serious but the fact is we didn't sun isnt it worst?
she say i not scare BB black then sun lor, i say my BB wunt get black de our gene is not black it will recover de. yellow is more impt. (that few days she sun BB turn black and she ownself say will recover de no worries)

I'm quite shock in her action as a professional nanny shouldnt she feel sunning is more impt than afraid BB turn black?

PS: black is sun tanned skin...

I heard that jaundice lvl too high will b dangerous? Cos some babies have to b retain in hospital or admit to hospital when the jaundice level too high. But i donno how high is high la. On the day we discharge, pd say baby jaundice abit high, needa bring back chk 3days later. Im to avoid eating ginger cos im breastfeeding. Can eat food cooked with ginger but cant eat the ginger itself.
Didnt bring my baby back to chk anyway. My mama every morning after bath my boy will 'sai tai yang', sounds like sunning clothes but she insist its a must. Im sorry i cant advise how long cos my mum did it for me n it was two yrs ago.. I only know use morning sun like those 9-11am, best n not harmful. Noon 12pm sun cannot. Morning sun best effect but i donno y.
But im surprise yr confinement says no need cos usually light jaundice u wont b able to c the yellow n when the baby looks yellow means quite bad. If very yellow then is very high liao. N usual those 40plus 50 onwards de 'older generation' they will insist the baby to b sunned de... Can try ask yr mother or mil or any other 长辈?

Ok i just ask my mum! She says morning once u c sun come out can take go 'sai' liao. If the ray got shine into your hse then u can put matteress there let baby lie there. My hse will shine into living room so she use to put a materess near the gate then put baby then. Use hankie or cotton pad (those we usually use to remove makeup), make it damn so that the 'wool' wont stick to baby skin, to cover the eyes. Max up to one hr. If not 15-30mins also can, c baby mood lo. No need strip him. Wear short sleeves n shorts can liao. In case got wind catch cold cos still very lil.
Errr.. I think morning sun wont make baby 'black' ba... Not strong ma. Is the sun ray too strong hurt or kill skin cells then will bcome black. My boy now still super fair.
But y she dont want? Not very difficult to ma... Hmms. U try do it yrself? Lie there with yr baby. Xinku abit but bo bian. Since baby health more impt ma. She is confinement lady or nanny? I think if she c u do it yrself she will paiseh n help u?

yvonne_ktw

Thanks dear for asking yr mum n share with me. She confinement lady n I Duno wat her main purpose dun shine
My house here no sun cum in only afternoon no good sun. I insist her to shine but Duno will she do it or not. These two days rain n no sun see tomolo how.

Thank you dear
Ok i just ask my mum! She says morning once u c sun come out can take go 'sai' liao. If the ray got shine into your hse then u can put matteress there let baby lie there. My hse will shine into living room so she use to put a materess near the gate then put baby then. Use hankie or cotton pad (those we usually use to remove makeup), make it damn so that the 'wool' wont stick to baby skin, to cover the eyes. Max up to one hr. If not 15-30mins also can, c baby mood lo. No need strip him. Wear short sleeves n shorts can liao. In case got wind catch cold cos still very lil.
Errr.. I think morning sun wont make baby 'black' ba... Not strong ma. Is the sun ray too strong hurt or kill skin cells then will bcome black. My boy now still super fair.
But y she dont want? Not very difficult to ma... Hmms. U try do it yrself? Lie there with yr baby. Xinku abit but bo bian. Since baby health more impt ma. She is confinement lady or nanny? I think if she c u do it yrself she will paiseh n help u?

pixie

Yvonne, may I ask if you are breastfeeding? If yes, did you consume ginger in your diet?
If answer above for BOTH is yes, then apart from sunning your baby (true that 9-11am sun is more beneficial and not too strong), you should reduce consumption of ginger.

You may for the confinement lady, so you as the mother of your baby, does has the rights to tell the confinement lady that you WANT your baby to get sun daily or at least until the jaundice level has lowered.

yvonne_ktw

Yes dear I bfeed but nanny dun cook ginger for me cause of it.
Thats mean my nanny action is totally wrong right? Sun bb for abt 1week nia n stop totally which she claim will be fine is wrong right?

Or what she claim is true? No need shine will go down eventually?

Yvonne, may I ask if you are breastfeeding? If yes, did you consume ginger in your diet?
If answer above for BOTH is yes, then apart from sunning your baby (true that 9-11am sun is more beneficial and not too strong), you should reduce consumption of ginger.

You may for the confinement lady, so you as the mother of your baby, does has the rights to tell the confinement lady that you WANT your baby to get sun daily or at least until the jaundice level has lowered.

pixie

From what I was told (cos all my nieces and nephews have slight jaundice) babies need SUN to reduce the level. I am a fortunate mum as the PD told me that her jaundice level is safe.

You should TELL and make it clear to the confinement lady that you WANT your baby to get the morning SUN...NOT just for 1 week. And if she insists that it's not required, tell her that if the doctor came back and said the jaundice level is still high, is she going to be held responsible? I have heard of some confinement ladies who think they know better than anyone and does not do accordingly but they are not always correct.

apollo

ds has mild jaundice so we brought him to the corridor to sun him every morning b4 8am. we brought ds out ourselves, didnt rely on CL. if u are wry, den bring him to sun on ur own. by doing so, not only u can make sure ur baby get sunned daily and also let the CL noe she is not doing her job well. if she is 'zhi dong', aft 1-2 days, she will automatically take over. =)

PinkDiamonds

Actually I've read that sunning a jaundice baby doesn't really help much.

If you want to sun your baby, make sure he is well hydrated with breastmilk or formula milk or he will get sick.

My twins had prolonged jaundice for a month, the twin girl's jaundice lasted a little more. Turns out their jaundice is caused by breastfeeding. When you breastfeed the jaundice takes longer time to go down, and the only way to "cure" it is to continue to breastfeed to help baby rid the toxins.

I remember going to polyclinic every other day with the twins, the jaundice went up and down until quite high.

I know it can be worrying for a parent, and sometimes it does take time to go down. Just make sure baby is feeding regularly enough (jaundice cause baby to be more sleepy) so that he is well hydrated

jujuju

Yeah, doctor also told me tat sunning doesn't help. So we neve sun my girl tho her jaundice was high. I was breastfeeding exclusively and eat ginger confinement food too (but not too much). Doc told me to bf her more often so she cd 'flush' out the toxins. I gave up on visiting the polyclinic cos they poke my lil girl feet every other day : ( .... finally went to A&E KKH and did a series of blood tests ... kidney & urinary tract to rule out if these are the cause but all was ok.
So u jus have to be patient and monitor ... well, looking back 9 mths ago i was oso very stressed up by bb's jaundice. But after getting assurance from doc in KKH i had more confident. Just feed ur bb more regularly. And of cuz u must eat well on all the confinement food, its impt. to take K of urself during tis period.

xiaodaisy

its been a few days , how is ur girl doing ? is the jaundice gone?

i guess there is a kind of herbs to put under the pillow for jaundice and it will be gone in 1wks time or less ..

previously , i did that for my boys and didnt bring them to shine also and it will slowly be gone ..

its a kind of chinese herb , maybe if u go to chinese medical hall and ask them , they might know .. i've forget the name of it , if not i ask my mom tonite and let u know again =)

yvonne_ktw

Hello everyone, thanks for concern and sharing. Yday my bb went check up n to my surprise her jaundice went off. Luckily went off if not I think I'll yell at CL.

Btw, I wunt reco my CL to anyone as she's not very fantastic.
Her name ah Qing aunty. Will upload her contact in the nanny list soon.
Yday I ask PD infront of aunty why bfeed I cannot eat banana but can eat golden kiwi? PD say who say cannot? Can. Then CL twist her words say I ask her beta dun eat, eat after full month.
I ask PD if I drink lemon tea(without ice) why cannot give BB my breastmilk? PD say can. I said I've already thrown away my milk(as instruct by nanny)

Actually I've thrown away 320ml of breastmilk hearing advise from this nanny. She will waste my milk cause she say I have alot supply. At first I dun care let her do but now I lazy to pump n milk supply lower Liao I feel wasted le :(