Kid Surname possible to change after divorce?

faithster

Hi,

I need help and i wants to know if there is any mummies out there that gotten divorce and able to change the kid surname to urs or ur future spouse? :embarrassed:

Ting

i dont think u can change to your surname after divorce (not very sure, need to check with your lawyer), but if u n your future spouse marries, then both of u can adopt your child and your child can follow your future spouse's surname.

Amulet

i think it means for ur ex-husband to give up his paternal rights over his child and sign a consent form or something.. then you and ur future spouse can then adopt ur child under u and ur future husband's name..

faithster

Got it! i guess it gonna be lotsa of drama and emotion meltdown along the way n long process
:( any lawyer to intro?

Ting

sry, no lawyer to intro cos i havent found one yet, but i think can DIY also. just tt it takes slightly few months longer.

Ting

the documents u can just file on your own. there is this place to go for the adoption applications. i cant recal where, i think u can call up family court to check with them. i went there once, n they say i can do it myself, means, file the documents myself, then attend the court hearings.if not get a lawyer to do it, of cos that would be faster and they will be clearer on what to do. shld be costing arnd $1K+ as per the person told me.

siling87

Hi,

I am having this pro too.

I had heard of ways like- adoption.

Still need ex husband consent right?

My ex hub is currently MIA and I am sure he is not gonna give in allowing me to change surname.

Another way i had heard of is: Sole custody.

I heard that as long as we have sole custody of our child, we will have right to change the surname.

Not sure if above ways is are correct. I will see how it goes..

how my 2 points help.. haha..

Ting

Hi,

I am having this pro too.

I had heard of ways like- adoption.

Still need ex husband consent right?

My ex hub is currently MIA and I am sure he is not gonna give in allowing me to change surname.

Another way i had heard of is: Sole custody.

I heard that as long as we have sole custody of our child, we will have right to change the surname.

Not sure if above ways is are correct. I will see how it goes..

how my 2 points help.. haha..
there is a document that u can file to dispense his consent. i think if he disagree and u have strong valid terms or he MIA (need to prove u tried all means n ways to locate him).

quoted from Sub courts:

What if the natural parents refuse to give or revoke their written consent to the adoptions?
You will need to ask the court to dispense with their consent. An affidavit must be filed to explain the attempts made to obtain the consent of the natural parents. The Court may direct the Guardian in Adoption to investigate into the circumstances of the natural parents’ refusal to give consent. The prayer to dispense with their consent will be adjourned to be heard with the final hearing.

Last edited:
I had change my child surname as my ex husband had Mia. U had to go law firm to change and if go ica change passport, they will ask u to sign a form stating the natural father Mia and u must had sole custody of the child. If not u will need the natural father to agree. Change surname cost about $150 if I remember

siling87

there is a document that you can file to dispense his consent. i think if he disagree and you have strong valid terms or he MIA (need to prove you tried all means n ways to locate him).

quoted from Sub courts:

What if the natural parents refuse to give or revoke their written consent to the adoptions?
You will need to ask the court to dispense with their consent. An affidavit must be filed to explain the attempts made to obtain the consent of the natural parents. The Court may direct the Guardian in Adoption to investigate into the circumstances of the natural parents’ refusal to give consent. The prayer to dispense with their consent will be adjourned to be heard with the final hearing.

Hi,

thanks for your information!

Like what you mentioned, we need to prove that we had tried searching for him and this is going to cost alot. eg: posting on newpapers.

Even though the family court had records of him not paying the maintenance fees since 2008, this doesn't help even when I am filing for divorce.

my lawyer had to prove that he is still staying in that particular add so that we can serve him notice. And ya we need to serve him 3 times of notice before we can proceed at my side that he is not attening.

I guess I will need to go through this stage again when I am ready change my boy surname by adoption.

unfair ya, the father is so irreponsible and mummy had to go through all these stage. Hai..

Ting

Hi,

thanks for your information!

Like what you mentioned, we need to prove that we had tried searching for him and this is going to cost alot. eg: posting on newpapers.

Even though the family court had records of him not paying the maintenance fees since 2008, this doesn't help even when I am filing for divorce.

my lawyer had to prove that he is still staying in that particular add so that we can serve him notice. And ya we need to serve him 3 times of notice before we can proceed at my side that he is not attening.

I guess I will need to go through this stage again when I am ready change my boy surname by adoption.

unfair ya, the father is so irreponsible and mummy had to go through all these stage. Hai..
so u need to prove by posting on newspaper? i think can just let them know that he refuses to consent, then they will investigate.
anyway, u r changing his surname now, then later changing again after u marry??

znljubica

The child usually suffers from divorce. Child wants to keep both parents in some way. Changing the surname would only increase the sense of loss.

willows

The child usually suffers from divorce. Child wants to keep both parents in some way. Changing the surname would only increase the sense of loss.
If we have a choice who want to choose the road to divorce.

In my case I want to try and sustain my marriage for my child, but her father think otherwise. So I have no choice.
Think many mummy here also have no choice.

Ting

a divorce doesnt deprive children from both parents. they can still love n shower them with attention. it is up to the parents to make the effort. if both parents who cannot get along continue to live tgt, and neglect the child due to their arguments, the child will suffer more.