Kitchen sink gave way (corroded)

Angelmum

Nowadays, contractor tried to save cost by using wood instead of make a solid concreate stand to support the kitchen sink.

My wood stand corroded! Worse is I may have to pull off the almost the whole kitchen cabinet ....all affected (linked)... dead....$$$ .... anybody in similiar plight?

Last edited:

hope seow

Nowadays, contractor tried to save cost by using wood instead of make a solid concreate stand to support the kitchen sink.

My wood stand corroded! Worse is I may have to pull off the almost the whole kitchen cabinet ....all affected (linked)... dead....$$$ .... anybody in similiar plight?
Hi, I've the same problem, just got it replaced, paid $550 for it. Heart vry pain. The last thing that I would want to spend on if not necessary. Better replace it before it get worse. :)

Coelyn

Hi, I've the same problem, just got it replaced, paid $550 for it. Heart vry pain. The last thing that I would want to spend on if not necessary. Better replace it before it get worse. :)

$550 is for the kitchen sink, kitchen top and support?

Phoebii Cheng

Did you call back your contactor and ask like why it happen? For me, during my first year of moving to my new house, oso got a lot of problem, go back to them and get it replaced, thank God my contractor is good, get it replaced for free

hope seow

$550 is for the kitchen sink, kitchen top and support?
$550 for only the carpentry work.. use back the old sink and top... bought a resale flat, the ex owner already used for 5 years so when took over, dun want to spend on reno but everything is falling apart now... spending more money now.. :(

Angelmum

$550 for only the carpentry work.. use back the old sink and top... bought a resale flat, the ex owner already used for 5 years so when took over, dont want to spend on reno but everything is falling apart now... spending more money now.. :(

Hi
Carpentry means the cabinet below the sink and its support? I guess yours considered cheap. My kitchen granite top and the wooden sink support is linked to half of my kitchen cabinet thus if they 'collapsed' while removing the problem part, I end up paying $3000... top cabinet sits on my kitchen granite.

Now washing bowls in toilet :001_07::tconfused:, still sourcing for a contractor who 'dares' to promise will be careful and dont break my granite top n cos a diasaster (burnt my pocket + inconvenience)

Wonder anybody tried portable kitchen sink?

Oppsgal

Hi
Carpentry means the cabinet below the sink and its support? I guess yours considered cheap. My kitchen granite top and the wooden sink support is linked to half of my kitchen cabinet thus if they 'collapsed' while removing the problem part, I end up paying $3000... top cabinet sits on my kitchen granite.

Now washing bowls in toilet :001_07::tconfused:, still sourcing for a contractor who 'dares' to promise will be careful and dont break my granite top n cos a diasaster (burnt my pocket + inconvenience)

For me I really dont like stainless steel. Always got those water stains...

hope seow

Hi

Yes, just those parts. It's reasonable cos we check out a few before deciding. Must say that the workmanship is not bad and he can match the colour and handle to exactly what i have.

Poor u, heart must be very pain to spend money on these reno, especially when it's just replacing and not new design.. :(

allycat

$550 for only the carpentry work.. use back the old sink and top... bought a resale flat, the ex owner already used for 5 years so when took over, dont want to spend on reno but everything is falling apart now... spending more money now.. :(
I'm also in a similar situation. I too bought a resale and didnt do anything when I moved in. But now, there's cracks and leakage at the recess area which the previous bought over as his contractor used back then didnt do a good job at the pastering and waterproofing. Super upset :embarrassed:

Angelmum

For me I really dont like stainless steel. Always got those water stains...
Thot stainless steel meant to withstand rust? Stains means turned yellowish but still removable?

Yes, just those parts. It's reasonable cos we check out a few before deciding. Must say that the workmanship is not bad and he can match the colour and handle to exactly what i have.

Poor you, heart must be very pain to spend money on these reno, especially when it's just replacing and not new design.. :(
Lucky u found somebody with gd workmanship. Ya, not new design, designer has to fix and match existing cabinet which they told me end up more costly.... maybe I might as well hack the exisiting cabinet and just buy IKEA ready-made cabinets. Still hunting and comparing.:embarrassed:

Maybe yr kitchen smaller than mine thus cheaper?

I'm also in a similar situation. I too bought a resale and didnt do anything when I moved in.
All these r hidden problems u can't detected on hse viewing. :embarrassed:

stonston

Angelmum, not many contractors do the 'old fashion' method of using concrete for sink area already. When I requested for it for my previous rented place, the contractor looked at me weirdly.

Actually, there should not be erosion at all. There should be silicon in place to prevent water seepage into the wood. You need to replace the silicon on your own every year to maintain it.

hope seow

Lucky you found somebody with good workmanship. Ya, not new design, designer has to fix and match existing cabinet which they told me end up more costly.... maybe I might as well hack the exisiting cabinet and just buy IKEA ready-made cabinets. Still hunting and comparing.:embarrassed:

My sink is not link to anything cabinet cos it's in between 2 walls so quite lucky.. Contractor said was becos when washing, my sink top is flat n we didnt clean up the water and so water sipped in.. Got to be very careful after u change.. been reminding my maid to be very careful too till i think she also sian.. :)

All the best to your hunting, can be tiring but fun :)

Gladys

I've the same problem at the sink area. leakage under the sink and now water come out from the bottom . It has grown mushroom. :wefrown: see attached pic. Whenever the mushrooms grew , I need to take away. If I want to dismantle the whole area and the stove also affected. Anyone has recommedation contractor to build the concrete counter and how much. My friend has ask the contractor to do it for the new house , it cost her $1350 just build the concrete only and not yet add the top and cabinet.

Angelmum

Angelmum, not many contractors do the 'old fashion' method of using concrete for sink area already. When I requested for it for my previous rented place, the contractor looked at me weirdly.

Actually, there should not be erosion at all. There should be silicon in place to prevent water seepage into the wood. You need to replace the silicon on your own every year to maintain it.
you kidding ....OMG :eek:, I didn't know. The workmanship was quite bad and the slicone used was of inferior quality .... according to the contractor who came to give me a quote to fix the sink.

I insisted I want concrete to last longer but this contractor quite unwilling. He's more keen to replace with wood.

Last edited:

Angelmum

My sink is not link to anything cabinet cos it's in between 2 walls so quite lucky.. Contractor said was becos when washing, my sink top is flat n we didnt clean up the water and so water sipped in.. Got to be very careful after you change.. been reminding my maid to be very careful too till i think she also sian.. :)
All the best to your hunting, can be tiring but fun :)
My maid displayed annoyed/unwilling to change her style when I reminded her not to leave water on the wooden part.

Tks!

My friend has ask the contractor to do it for the new house , it cost her $1350 just build the concrete only and not yet add the top and cabinet.

err, didnt see any pic .....
My contractor told me concrete + wood to cover the concrete sink support and blend with my existing Zen design is above $1000, excluding kitchen top . We are using the existing cabinet doors (2). With kitchen top (matching tiles), cost about $1500.

Last edited:

Oppsgal

Thot stainless steel meant to withstand rust? Stains means turned yellowish but still removable?

Lucky you found somebody with good workmanship. Ya, not new design, designer has to fix and match existing cabinet which they told me end up more costly.... maybe I might as well hack the exisiting cabinet and just buy IKEA ready-made cabinets. Still hunting and comparing.:embarrassed:

All these r hidden problems you can't detected on house viewing. :embarrassed:
My bathroom stainless steel clothes hanger got dark brown water stains. Cannot remove stains even when I use toothbrush with soap.

Oppsgal

you kidding ....OMG :eek:, I didn't know. The workmanship was quite bad and the slicone used was of inferior quality .... according to the contractor who came to give me a quote to fix the sink.

I insisted I want concrete to last longer but this contractor quite unwilling. He's more keen to replace with wood.
Cant you insist you dont want any wood to be there? You are the one paying for the renovation. Tell the contractor what you want and put in black and white.

Look good dont mean last long. For me I prefer things that will last longer than look good.

CanCanMum

the concrete way of supporting the sink is an olden days method, most pple dont do tat anymore

i m not sure about wad stand u r tokkin about.....but i presume the sink sits on a wooden cabinet?

IF ur sink was not installed proper, even if its concrete, it will oso leak and water seeps thru all over, and still u will need replace a new sink coz underneath the sink, it corrodes due to constant water exposure

and if its concrete, u cannot change the opening size, in the end u still need to redo a new concrete top and oso a new worktop (in granite if u r tokkin about)

my house is using wood, been using tat for a good 6years, no rotting, only problem i have is the tap leakage, and i have so far, replace the tap 3 times, cut the silicon, install my new tap, reseal with silicon. MY tap always leak after 1 year plusss

and so far, my sink is still ok after taking out and reinstalling back for 3 times lOlzzzzzz

sometimes it not about saving costs but its about how well these problems have been taken care of/anticipated etc, before the decision to make wad materials etc....

this case will be worst with undermount sinks, i have seen undermount sinks tat gave way, leaving the counter top and the cabinet detached....its scary but it happens.

Last edited: