living with pets

mskyliee

Hi... Does anyone has babies and dogs/cats staying in one roof... How do u survive the "dogs and babies cannot be together" saying... Really tired of hearing this over and over again...

And also, I know dog fur can be the cause of coughing. But my son doesn't cough as and when like when u r having a cough... Only once in a while when he wants to get rid of the phlegm. ( he's only 6mo, so doc say no med for him regarding that, can only heal on his own) is it possible that dog fur might cause this?

TIA!!

Wanni

I think it's okie. I have an old Yorkshire.. And I'm expecting now, think no issue for them to be in1 roof ba..

Alisa

old ppl and those ppl that are not animal lovers will always say throw away dog! thats happen to my husband's side relative too. all of them said that. well, if u are worried, shaved yr dog. that is what i did. i will wash my son hands & feets if my dog lick him cuz my son likes to taste his hands & feets.

Jojoai

I'm expecting now also have 4 dogs at home many people told me to give away I told them is like asking me to give my child up for adoption. I don't believe in all this they say when pregnant have dogs around baby will have asthma. -,- so I think it's okay. I have relatives having few dogs and a newborn around too. So I guess it's okay. :)

Janellebb

I have 3 dogs at my house and 2 at my inlaw house! 24hrs with dogs! Scared pantang but they are too cute and i just cant live without them.. They brighten my everyday, when my hubby goes to work.. Haha

Alisa

i feel that long fur will float and short fur will sink that is why i shave my chihuahua long coat. maybe i wil shaved him till my son is around 1-2 yrs old lor. see how. i actually like my son being shaved, he looks cutier! hee...

mskyliee

I have always this qns of how people take care of baby with dogs around... I cannot do anything with their fur, unless I shave them... but pretty for me to shave them since my dogs r jrt...

And.... my mom keep saying the dogs will step on ds.... or the dogs will bite him... but u all will know our furkids will nv do that...

All I can do is minimize their moveable area when my mom is around.... but I believe asthma are not caused by dog furs, and for sure, my son's cough is caused by it too... how is it possible that it will cause phlegm now right... I always think dogs and babies should mingle with each other once in a while....

Hi,
I think its really fine, its just the old folks belief that dogs and babies shouldn't mix. I have 3 mini schnauzers at hm and my mom told me to give them away and i told her the dogs all were with me all along till baby came along so maybe i should give away the baby instead?? then she gave up.

Even if your dogs do bark, it is ok as your baby will get used to it.

didy

I have 2 dogs at home and my son is 9months old now. I restrict the places that my dogs can go at home. Living room where my son crawls and plays in the day time is definitely out of bounds for the dogs. As well as my bed room (son sleeps in my bed room) also out of bounds. Now my son can crawl he always try to crawl to my dogs. But other times when I let my son and my dogs play together, it is really a very heart warming sight to see them making friends! And playing with my dogs never fail to make my son laugh.

PinkDiamonds

A recent article I read online found that dogs can actually help to prevent childhood asthma. More info here.

I recently gave up one of my rooms in my 4 room flat for a friend to stay. She has a small dog, a westie, and my kids love him! I don't find my kids falling sick more often because of the dog.

I do not have a dog myself, but I don't see why people have to give up their pets when they get pregnant. When you decide to have a pet, it's a lifetime commitment to them, no matter what happens. This is ever more applicable to those who say they treat their pets like family. You don't give up one child when you're pregnant with a second, do you?

mskyliee

I totally agree and I have read the article... but showing all this to the elders, they won't accept it... seriously.

This issue v hard to have strong evidence to support jus to show ur stand... all we can do is prevent the old people from saying and nagging - minimize the dog area till my boy can walk.

trudywee

I have always this qns of how people take care of baby with dogs around... I cannot do anything with their fur, unless I shave them... but pretty for me to shave them since my dogs r jrt...

And.... my mom keep saying the dogs will step on ds.... or the dogs will bite him... but u all will know our furkids will nv do that...

All I can do is minimize their moveable area when my mom is around.... but I believe asthma are not caused by dog furs, and for sure, my son's cough is caused by it too... how is it possible that it will cause phlegm now right... I always think dogs and babies should mingle with each other once in a while....
Even if you shave off, it will come back. What sort of dog do you own? Some dogs tend to shed less

missgale

How do you deal with dogs that pee everywhere n do not want to be confined? I'm thinking of putting my son at my in laws place but they have a dog n he pees n poops everywhere, his toys are also everywhere n barks like mad if we confine him in the kitchen. It's nerve wrecking. We love him but with him ard, my son cannot crawl ard since we always see pee all over the place. Btw they tried toilet training him but of coz failed n give up.

vel

I have 2 dogs, a 12 yr old mini schnauzer ( no shed fur ) and a 2 yr old shiba inu ( sheds fur 2 times a year). we train them to keep out of the nursery room even before baby is born. should be OK as long as initially you keep the dogs out of the room and always keep an eye when you bring the baby to the living room . prepare a confine area for the dogs if necessary . I do punish my dogs if they refuse to co operate with me - " for a start " , afterwards no trouble from them.. dogs are like kids need to know who is the boss. save the human and animal energy and time.

I prep treats / their fav stuffs when they willingly enter the confine area and gives no trouble within 2 hour. the command we give is "inside" , now the dogs eagerly enter their cage whenever we command them.