LNT OR Shichida

sharonk

Hi Mummies,

My girl is currently 2mths +old. Am thinking to sign her up for some enrichment classes for babies to dev her right brain when she reaches 3-6mths.

Any mummies has sent their babies to LNT or Shichida Method? What are your views then?

Please advise.

Thank You

Ting

i think 2 mths plus stil so young..
dun waste money bahs.
wait til 1 yo or so then enrol in "enrichment" classes.

mandymtb

i think 2 mths plus stil so young..
dont waste money bahs.
wait til 1 yo or so then enrol in "enrichment" classes.
hee.. mine going 10mths... so am interested to knw more as well...

i heard LNT is a branch out from Shicida... is it true or jus plain rumours?

Ting

hmmm sorry that i duno, cos i nvr send pin to these classes, she gain enuf "brain development" in her daily life/activities. :)

annie

i dunno bout LNT but my girl is attending shichida now. started her when she was about 1yr 4mths old iirc. i heard babies learn very fast when when reach 18mths plus minus so i enrol her.. i think its rather good. she always surprises me with her ability to learn there. eg the teacher ask her to touch the card which has more dots n she manage to always get it right though i sometimes get it wrong! lol. or when the teacher takes out 2 cups n hide something inside 1 of the cup n shuffle them up, she always manage to open the correct cup though i sometimes guess wrongly! :shyxxx:

BUT i do feel 2mths is still too young. i personally feel its better to bring babies only after they are somewhat independent eg can sit by themselves n can understand simple instructions. they need to sit when they learn in shichida(of cos they can sit on your lap too) n listen, follow etc. dun think a 2mths can learn anything there. 2mths has got more to learn before all these enrichment course imo...

Last edited:

mandymtb

i dont know bout LNT but my girl is attending shichida now. started her when she was about 1yr 4mths old iirc. i heard babies learn very fast when when reach 18mths plus minus so i enrol her.. i think its rather good. she always surprises me with her ability to learn there. eg the teacher ask her to touch the card which has more dots n she manage to always get it right though i sometimes get it wrong! lol. or when the teacher takes out 2 cups n hide something inside 1 of the cup n shuffle them up, she always manage to open the correct cup though i sometimes guess wrongly! :shyxxx:

BUT i do feel 2mths is still too young. i personally feel its better to bring babies only after they are somewhat independent eg can sit by themselves n can understand simple instructions. they need to sit when they learn in shichida(of cos they can sit on your lap too) n listen, follow etc. dont think a 2mths can learn anything there. 2mths has got more to learn before all these enrichment course imo...
which is why i was thinking to enrol my gal when she's bout a yr old... she's about 10mths now, so i tot to do some research first so that when she can join the class, i can already make an informed decision and not "the-blind-follow-the-blind" to join any class w/o knowing wat they are...

sharonk

[

Yeah. Thanks all mummies for your replies. Probably wait till she is older then bring her to shichida?

But whats the diff between shichida n lnt? I think LNT are more of flashcards base.

annie

shichida does alot of flashcards too.

for me, i bring my girl to attend all sorts of trial classes n see which she prefers n also which i prefers lol. of cos she prefers those classes which just plays eg gymboree.. but then the sch fee here for gymboree n shichida is very similar.. so paying so much for just play.. i rather pay for shichida since she learn something at least..

SH74

my personal opinion.. letting 2+mo attend class is too young n waste of $$. unless u wan to splurge $$, den can go ahead w it. seriously, whether kids' brain is developed or not, depends mostly on d parents. u can spend thousands on classes but if parents leave it TOTALLY to d teachers to do d job, i can b sure d child wont learn much fr it. if u wan to develop ur child's brain, try doing it at home 1st. when she's older, den send her to all these enrichment classes.

uddermummy

I've read up on early childhood development, and have attended a module in it, and I can tell you that most of the times, these 'better baby' lessons are just very expensive ways to spend time with your children.

Research has always shown that you need both your left and right brain in most things that you do. Even if you are using logic (left-brain), you will still need the use of right brain to use logic properly. There is really no such thing as just using either the left or right parts of your brains only! :p Children who do well in school have parents who talk a lot and read a lot to them, because they have a greater vocabulary.

For young babies, you can help in their development by stimulating their senses and their awareness of their surroundings. Talk to them, read to them, let them touch different textures, have different experiences. See what they're interested in and introduce more of the same things to them. Most importantly, have fun with them!

Things you can consider splurging on: Phonics at 2 years or older, music lessons at 3 years or older, books, travelling when your kids are old enough to understand what's happening.

Toys don't need to be expensive, instead the best toys are those that are free, like your pots and pans, tissue boxes etc. Toys that are open-ended in nature, like building blocks, are good for cultivating creativity cos kids can use them in whatever way they want.

I've been talking to my girl since birth, and reading to her from six months, and have never used flashcards, or brought her to left/right brain classes. I'm not trying to boast or say that my girl is smart but she has never ceased to amaze me with what she can do without enrichment lessons. She said her first word at 9 months, and now at 12 months, she understands when I want her to look for things, and picks up new words and will point to the things (but she can't say all the words though... )

She loves Dr Seuss' books, and will keep bringing me the books she wants me to read.

Last edited:

Ting

I've read up on early childhood development, and have attended a module in it, and I can tell you that most of the times, these 'better baby' lessons are just very expensive ways to spend time with your children.

Research has always shown that you need both your left and right brain in most things that you do. Even if you are using logic (left-brain), you will still need the use of right brain to use logic properly. There is really no such thing as just using either the left or right parts of your brains only! :p Children who do well in school have parents who talk a lot and read a lot to them, because they have a greater vocabulary.

For young babies, you can help in their development by stimulating their senses and their awareness of their surroundings. Talk to them, read to them, let them touch different textures, have different experiences. See what they're interested in and introduce more of the same things to them. Most importantly, have fun with them!

Things you can consider splurging on: Phonics at 2 years or older, music lessons at 3 years or older, books, travelling when your kids are old enough to understand what's happening.

Toys dont't need to be expensive, instead the best toys are those that are free, like your pots and pans, tissue boxes etc. Toys that are open-ended in nature, like building blocks, are good for cultivating creativity cos kids can use them in whatever way they want.

I've been talking to my girl since birth, and reading to her from six months, and have never used flashcards, or brought her to left/right brain classes. I'm not trying to boast or say that my girl is smart but she has never ceased to amaze me with what she can do without enrichment lessons. She said her first word at 9 months, and now at 12 months, she understands when I want her to look for things, and picks up new words and will point to the things (but she can't say all the words though... )

She loves Dr Seuss' books, and will keep bringing me the books she wants me to read.
my sentiments, exactly. :)

Mummy to Baby V

I only knew about flashcards when my home-visit nurse suggested me to start when my boy was 9 months old. After searching on the Internet, I learnt about Shichida and was very impressed by their research.

My boy just started Shichida classes at 13 months, considered late as I wanted to start at 10 months when he was learning very fast at home. We were travelling a lot and I ran out of ideas and materials to teach him more.

Only 2 lessons into Shichida and the Parent Education Class opened my window to giving my boy a very strong education foundation. Shichida classes includes both right and left brain simulation, and is much more than flashcard & games. It is backed by continuous child brain / psychology research and the methods keep evolving & improving. It also teaches me how to be a good mother so that I can enter my child's mind and he can learn anything he wants to.

Right after the Parent Education Class, I become much more patient with my boy and even more enthusiastic in planning and enjoying our home practices. Even my husband is impressed by what I learnt from the principal and he even asks to attend the class!

I am very glad to have started my boy with Shichida and keeps looking forward to the next class. :)

uddermummy

Good that shichida is useful for you, mummy to very baby! :)

BTW, just curious, what types of research back up Shichida's methods? Cos I'm not very clear on the shichida methods, but I've read a lot of research that says that conversation and reading are the keystones to emergent literacy, and that consistent everyday teaching from life examples are actually very useful for mathematical concepts.

Children learn meaningfully when they are exposed to real-life concrete materials. Reading is much more than memorising words or decoding words; there are a lot of children who are proficient decoders but who do not understand what they read well. A lot of these children think that reading is just reading out the words.

Maths is also more than just being able to count, or knowing the numbers. There are also a lot of children who can do mathematical operations but who are floored by higher-order thinking concepts.

There are many things that we can do to help in our children's development, but it's good to know that all normally developing children will pick up reading or mathematical concepts on their own. So there's no need to panic and try to make sure that our little ones can start reading or count by 2!

It's good to know the milestones of our little kiddos, so that we know how and when to help them master certain skills. Cos they learn best when they are just about ready to go on to the next developmental stage.

Actually, there are many good child development books for parents. I like Einstein Never used flashcards, Bright from the start, Baby minds etc. And if you are into the heavy, theoretical and research part, you can get Laura Berk's Child Development, which is actually a textbook.

Enrichment lessons are very expensive, and money spent on these can be spent in other ways that can provide just as good, if not better results! :p

A blog on right-brain training: http://gerryp.wordpress.com/2008/03/26/evaluation-of-superachievers-magazine/

uddermummy

I'm quite longwinded cos I'm really passionate about early childhood development.

The facts in the above article are really backed up by research.

And the fact that listening to mozart does not improve your mathematical abilities is really, really true! I've read the actual research myself, and also research that refuted the claims, and let me tell you, this mozart effect is a big joke among researchers!

The thing about learning foreign languages is that you must have constant, daily exposure to it. A few lessons a month will not help at all! So it's really, really pointless sending your kids to these foreign language classes if you don't speak the language to them at home! What the research says is that children who are exposed to a language from young will learn to speak it better than someone who picked it up in adulthood. But the thing is, the exposure has to be at very high frequency, or their mother-tongue. And it's not true that once past the age of 3 or 5, they can't pick it up anymore, the brain is malleable. I've got a friend who is a very proficient japanese speaker with a native-like accent, and she only picked up the language in her teens!

Last edited:

annie

lol i think.. every sch has their own method, every parents think differnetly, every kids are different so just go with your feeling? i believe in letting them try if $ is not a problem.. then see how. if good, continue. if not then stop. anyway there is nothing bad in letting them join these classes isnt it? :001_302:

Mummy to Baby V

To know the exact research done, please look for Mrs Jocelyn Khoo, the principal of Shichida centre in Singapore and KL. I have been very interested in preschool education and have yet to read the research. However, observing my own boy is enough to make me want to tap into his huge learning potential. Mrs Khoo's sharing at the Parent Education Class was very enlightening and the emphasis on parent-child bonding draws me to Shichida's philosophy.

Of course, there is a lot of emphasis on home practice / learning, which includes reading and using real-life examples to teach the young child. For instance, my boy sits on his highchair to watch me prepare his lunch, and i'd let teach him the ingredients (carrots, broccolli, etc.) and let him see / touch / smell the veges. This engages him, helps us bond, and he learns a lot. Through Shichida, I learn to actively stimulate my boy's senses, for accelerated learning.

Anyway, I still have a lot to learn on educating my boy well. I enjoyed my schooling years a lot and hope that he'd be able to enjoy learning as he grows.

uddermummy

I agree with annie. Your babies, your time, your money, your decisions. :)

I'm not trying to attack anyone; everyone has the right to do what they think is the best for their babies. Sorry if I came across like I'm being defensive. It's just that I'm quite angry at all the enrichment programmes that are trying to milk the money of concerned parents like us.​

If you have limited resources and time, then you'll probably want to want to do some reearch on your own first about the claims first before you commit to these programmes.​

I'm just trying to share what I know about early childhood development, and the fact that a lot of these enrichment learning programmes claim to be backed up by research. The thing is a lot of the times, they misquote the research or put it in a very simple form. Most of the times, there is no research that really backs up their exact claims. Like hearing something frequently will help in the development of photographic memory.​

And erm, I claim to be quite neutral and unbiased because I am not affilated to any of the programmes. :p

Mummy to Baby V

I agree with annie. Your babies, your time, your money, your decisions. :)

I'm not trying to attack anyone; everyone has the right to do what they think is the best for their babies. Sorry if I came across like I'm being defensive. It's just that I'm quite angry at all the enrichment programmes that are trying to milk the money of concerned parents like us.​

If you have limited resources and time, then you'll probably want to want to do some reearch on your own first about the claims first before you commit to these programmes.​

I'm just trying to share what I know about early childhood development, and the fact that a lot of these enrichment learning programmes claim to be backed up by research. The thing is a lot of the times, they misquote the research or put it in a very simple form. Most of the times, there is no research that really backs up their exact claims. Like hearing something frequently will help in the development of photographic memory.​

And erm, I claim to be quite neutral and unbiased because I am not affilated to any of the programmes. :p
Uddermummy, what you said totally makes sense. I also don't support centres that claim to educate children when they are actually in for the money. Especially nowadays when there are many copycat centres which simply try to replicate what the original Shichida centres try to do.

I am also a careful parent and looked around, assessed Shichida, read parents' testimonials and searched for feedback from parents with children in Shichida for some time before deciding on it. Many Shichida children have excelled in different areas such as music and sports, not just academic. This all-rounded development is what I'm looking to instil in my child(ren).

Of course, it would be great if someone could do a scientific research on Shichida children to prove its method. However i can't let my boy wait for the research results. In the meantime, going to class as a pair is fun and I get ideas to teach him at home. Time would tell if the classes and home practices are effective for him. Therefore, I'd be reviewing our updates on my website, to help other parents decide if it is worth the time and money. Hmm... Like a 'research' done on my own boy? Ha...