Looking for phonics tutor

mstan

I hope to get my daughter to learn phonics. She will be at K1 next year.. As I heard children should learn phonics from young & so I hope to get a tutor for her, if possible, my elder daughter will join in this tuition. Pls let me know if you are interested, have experiences & have passion to teach (4 & 6 yo old girls)

briskcross

Just thinking, instead of doing a one-to-one tutoring, which may be boring for a young child, how about sending her to a place such as Julia Gabriel or Lorna Whinston? They don't teach Phonics specifically but I think it's very good exposure and the sessions are very interesting.

I personally benefited from attending Lorna Whiston when I was in primary school, now my son is attending Julia Gabriel.

mstan

I can't afford Julia Gabriel or I CAN READ fees... Moreover, my elder daughter has attended tuition class before, unfortunately, after 3 months there, she still learn nothing... I guess 1 to 1 is best for her... as she showed improvements after few months... I also hope to get a tutor to fully concentrate on my daughters & not whole class..

akiva

you can try RC and CC ... they reasonable and small group. try their holiday programmes for speech and drama for both chinese and english.... son went to lorna whiston and also RC phonic classes. he said he enjoyed and learned more from the RC teacher (an eurasian, ex-teacher).... he was able read simple book on his own when he was 4+.

busybeemama

I hope to get my daughter to learn phonics. She will be at K1 next year.. As I heard children should learn phonics from young & so I hope to get a tutor for her, if possible, my elder daughter will join in this tuition. Pls let me know if you are interested, have experiences & have passion to teach (4 & 6 yo old girls)
I am teaching phonics. If interested,plse send email to:

learning2read@hotmail.com

mstan

priscilla, this website is good, I can get my daughter to read & click on the words where she doesn't know how to read.. Thanks!

celine lim

Hi, i have a good phonics teacher to recommend too. may i know where u r staying? maybe u can contact me at 8168 2266 to know more. thanks

does phonics really help?

I am teaching it at the primary 1 and primary 2 level... i still feel that word recognition is more important than phonics...

soniasiow

Hi! My gal is 6 yrs old K2 class nw but she is a very slow learner and her phonics till now after all extra classes still no improvement. Any suggestion?
I can see that she is struggling and really need advice here.

sonia, what is it that you want her to learn?

word recognition?

as in...when she sees the word "park" she knows how to pronounce it?

or u want her to be able to spell "p-a-r-k" by hearing the sound of it?

having said that, do u think she is able to understand the meaning of "park"?

sending your kid to all these phonics classes may not necessarily help them

mummii_elaiine

Lowest tuition rate in town!!

K1/K2 --$40/mth
Pri 1/Pri 2 -- $56/mth
Pri 3/Pri 4 -- $80/mth
Pri 5/Pri 6 -- $120/mth

Subjects being teached: English, Mathematics and Science

PM me to know more ~

Daddy D

Alpha Male
sonia, what is it that you want her to learn?

word recognition?

as in...when she sees the word "park" she knows how to pronounce it?

or u want her to be able to spell "p-a-r-k" by hearing the sound of it?

having said that, do u think she is able to understand the meaning of "park"?

sending your kid to all these phonics classes may not necessarily help them
I hear from DW tat those branded Pri will give u a list of words that they expect the kid to know/read/spell before 1st day of sch. Poor kid... Sibei stress leh....

soniasiow

Yes i hear bout that too thats y i am worried for my girl. My gal know most meaning of english words as we speak english at home, its just that she cannot spell out the word by word recognition way or the phonic way...
I am stressed

well, so much for modern methods, sometimes ah, when it comes to spelling, if the child doesnt write out a few times, it will not go into their heads..

i still believe in writing lines...

but of course if to spell the word "park" ...the kid writes ppppppp then aaaaa, followed by rrrrrr ..... it defeats the purpose lah..

I have seen some students, yes, with phonics background, it helps them to sound out the word "p" and ending sound "k"

then the middle sound is all rubbish! hahahha

just my sharing...

mstan

I've enrolled my 2 daughters (7 & 5) to phonics lessons on every Sat (1&1/2hr) with $76 per month... Both had improved in reading & able to recognize words. My elder daughter making use of phonics to learn her spelling words & my youngest daughter is able to read simple & short storybooks.

Currently, I'm thinking of sending my youngest daughter for tuition - k1.. followed by next year, k2 - preparation for P1.. anyone interested to teach? Must come to my house at Ang Mo Kio.. let me know....

RayRay

Hi I am teaching phonics. I will be starting another new class soon, interested please call me at 90752752. Class size: 4

You could try teaching Phonics yourself. These are the resources I use:
1) The Phonics Handbook by Sue Lloyd (bought from Amazon)
2) Jolly Phonics DVD (bought from Early Learning Centre at Paragon)

Phonics is a good kickstart for learning spelling. However, there are some irregular words which can't be learnt using Phonics, so mnemonics can be used instead.