Losing a child

Angelmum

Someone loses a child
8 things you can do to help a friend through their grief

It's heartbreaking when someone loses a child. So heartbreaking that well-meaning friends are often at a loss as to how to help.

When it happens, the sympathy felt for the family is often great. But perhaps because of the acute anguish people know the parents must be going through, they are sometimes at a loss as to what to say or do to comfort them.

There is no need to say too much as no words can assuage the pain, say parents who have gone through this terrible ordeal.

A heartfelt "I'm so sorry", or even a wordless hug, is all that is needed to show you recognise how devastating the loss is. And that is appreciated.

While there is little you can do to lessen the heartbreak, you can help the family through the grieving process with some sensitivity and thoughtfulness.

Take it from parents who have been through the anguish – there are at least eight things you can say and do.

1. Offer practical help in the early days
In the days immediately after the child’s death, don’t just descend on the family to offer your condolences and leave. If they have no one helping out, the family will have to get food and drinks, attend to the many visitors and clean up at the end of the day, on top of dealing with their grief.

Friends can be of tremendous help by organising themselves and taking over the mundane chores from the family.

"It's just trying to think what tasks I can take away from these people so that they have some time and space to grieve," says Sonya Szpojnarowicz, president of Child Bereavement Support (Singapore), a new charity support group.

2. Be gentle
Stephanie Zagrodnik, 34, who lost her three-week-old son Daniel in 2003, recalls with anguish her experience at the hospital after he died, when the staff rushed her to pay her bill because they were changing shifts.

On the other hand, she speaks gratefully of the kind pathologist who listened to her sometimes incoherent questions, waited while she cried and patiently answered all her queries.

Bereaved parents only ask that people be gentle with them and show compassion during their ordeal. You may not be able to take away the pain but do not add to it.

3. Never say "Never mind. You can have another child"
Many young bereaved parents have heard this from people who mistakenly believe that having another child will be a source of comfort. In fact, grieving parents are often deeply hurt by the suggestion that the child they lost is replaceable.

"It's like saying, 'Your kettle broke, never mind, you can buy another kettle.' It trivialises the loss," explains Sonya, 37, herself a bereaved mother who lost her first-born, Max, three years ago when he was barely two.

Never try to minimise the loss. Says Stephanie, "I was very hurt by people who seemed to infer that just because he was so young, my pain was not as great."

Bereaved parents say they would rather people just acknowledge their loss. "'I'm sorry.' That's all you need to say," says Jeanne Tan, 42, mother of Ryan who died last year aged four.

4. Don't fear the tears
If the parents burst into tears, you have not failed in comforting them. "We're crying anyway. It's not something you say that makes us cry," says Sonya.

And don't be afraid of crying yourself – your tears are usually appreciated. "It shows you realise how important the loss is and that you care too," she adds.

5. Take your cue from the parents as to what to say or do
People deal with death differently. Some want to be left alone, some want people around. Some want to talk about it, others don't. Or they may feel differently about it from day to day.

"For me, it's okay if people want to ask what happened and then it's up to me to tell them how much I want to tell them," says Raouf Yeo, 33, whose twin boys, Kareem and Shakeel, were born premature and survived less than six months.

And after the parents have shared their story, curb the urge to probe. "Don't go on and on, asking for details about what happened. Most of us don't particularly want to go into that," says Sonya.

6. Don't judge or draw conclusions from the death
One bereaved mother had an acquaintance wag her finger and say to her: "That's why you have to take care of the immune system." Another had to deal with a policeman muttering his disapproval when he learnt that her son slept in an air-conditioned room.

Others had people questioning their choice of hospital or the mother's diet during pregnancy.

"That can be so hurtful when you are feeling so much pain, to have someone trying to blame you," says Sonya.

"Sometimes, things just happen. It has nothing to do with what we did," adds Aida, 32, mother of Kareem and Shakeel.

7. Continue supporting the family after the funeral
After the initial flurry of activity has died down, some parents find themselves completely alone with their grief. Friends keep away, perhaps because they feel awkward or because they think the family prefers privacy.

"After the funeral and in the early days, when you're left on your own and you've got this enormous loss, you need your friends even more," says Sonya.

"Friends are so important," adds Valerie Lim, 42, who lost her 17-month-old daughter Ning in 1999. "You can rely on family, but they are also grieving. Friends can help to lighten the load a lot."

She had friends who called her every week and took her out for meals, and she found them a great comfort.

Realise, also, that the hurt never completely goes away. Says Ryan's father Nicholas, 43: "Friends tend to think that after a while you get over it, that this episode is history. But we will never forget."

8. Remember the child
Many bereaved parents nowadays would like to cherish the memory of their children rather than suppress thoughts of them.

They are saddened by well-meaning people who advise them not to display pictures of the much-loved child, or urge them to keep busy so that they can forget.

Valerie is touched by friends who send her text or e-mail messages in remembrance of Ning on her birthday or death day. Parents like her appreciate people who are able to share their memories of their children’s short lives without awkwardness or aversion.

"They are our babies. We are never going to forget our babies," says Raouf.

extracted from Family

i1babes

we been waiting for my SIL's due day on 28/06 .... but this morning received bad news , baby no heart beat..he gone .......they call me to ask me advise whether need postmordem or not .. and how their can do with the body... i don know ... just feel sad ..and don know how to do ..............

Angelmum

we been waiting for my sister In law's due day on 28/06 ...
means the child almost full-term :eek: any explanation from doc?
If dont know how to comfort, maybe give a tight wordless hug to show you recognise how devastating the loss was. :001_07:

Keep her occupied with other matters + a proper confinement.

jasobias

we been waiting for my sister In law's due day on 28/06 .... but this morning received bad news , baby no heart beat..he gone .......they call me to ask me advise whether need postmordem or not .. and how their can do with the body... i dont know ... just feel sad ..and dont know how to do ..............
I am so sorry for ur family's loss.:embarrassed:I lost my baby when i was 22 weeks pregnant n i did want a post mortem done.Its for closure n also to help explain wht went wrong n if possible prevent it fr ever happening again.
Its going to be very difficult for ur sis in law to get over this lose.Just keep her company as much as u can coz she cld suffer fr depression.Wld also help if u cld help her in spreading the news abt the loss.She wouldnt want to go out and face pple who didnt know wht happpened asking her so how is her baby now?

stonston

we been waiting for my sister In law's due day on 28/06 .... but this morning received bad news , baby no heart beat..he gone .......they call me to ask me advise whether need postmordem or not .. and how their can do with the body... i dont know ... just feel sad ..and dont know how to do ..............
u mentioned before that the baby's heart got problem and require surgery once delivered right?

It's best to do a post mortem to check what went wrong and if there's any prevention/early detection for next baby.

i1babes

yes baby got lung problem but it's everything fine when check up cos still inside mummy , on 6/6 nite we still "playing" with baby then in the morning 7/6 morning suddenly no heart beat , v all feel so sudden and wonder why , why baby can just stop heart beat like tat ??????...at 1st sil don agree ..but now sister In law agree for the postmortem ..

i went to mortuary too see baby ..he was so cute and so handsome .. just that he is in deep sleep , look at his hair , eye , ear , finger mouth ..i cant believe this cute baby will never wake up again ............ ,.... sister In law demand to see baby but v stop her .. anyhow.. we / sister In law cant see baby anymore , 8am baby was sent to postmortem....
we can know the result after 5 days.........................................................................................

i cant sleep for the whole nite .. i keep dreaming .... i cant imagine if sister In law see her baby what will happened ...

Last edited:

i1babes

I am so sorry for your family's loss.:embarrassed:I lost my baby when i was 22 weeks pregnant and i did want a post mortem done.Its for closure and also to help explain wht went wrong and if possible prevent it fr ever happening again.
Its going to be very difficult for your sis in law to get over this lose.Just keep her company as much as you can coz she cld suffer fr depression.Wld also help if you cld help her in spreading the news about the loss.She wouldnt want to go out and face pple who didnt know wht happpened asking her so how is her baby now?

this is her 1st baby .... v worry she will get depression also ... she still in hospital .. uterus cant stop bleeding .. DR put " balloon" inside her uterus for whole day .. today dr release balloon pressure slowly ... till stop bleeding then will take out the balloon ...

i1babes

baby today go for cremation...and result of the postmerten will be out 2moro ...gov cramation fee $50 ..and baby ashes will leave it to gov ...
Eight-Eleven Funeral Services Mr Ho is a very honest man .. really tnx him for explain to me . been call to so many funeral servise ask for the price ,for them is terrible except mr ho...

SIL discharge today .. every thing is passed ... hope for a better 2moro .. baby rest in peace......................................................................................

jasobias

baby today go for cremation...and result of the postmerten will be out 2moro ...gov cramation fee $50 ..and baby ashes will leave it to gov ...
Eight-Eleven Funeral Services Mr Ho is a very honest man .. really thanks him for explain to me . been call to so many funeral servise ask for the price ,for them is terrible except mr ho...

sister In law discharge today .. every thing is passed ... hope for a better 2moro .. baby rest in peace......................................................................................
so very sorry tht u n ur family had to go through this.I hope with time ur sis in law pulls through.My prayers r with ur family

missblue18

yes baby got lung problem but it's everything fine when check up cos still inside mummy , on 6/6 nite we still "playing" with baby then in the morning 7/6 morning suddenly no heart beat , very all feel so sudden and wonder why , why baby can just stop heart beat like that ??????...at 1st sister In law dont agree ..but now sister In law agree for the postmortem ..

i went to mortuary too see baby ..he was so cute and so handsome .. just that he is in deep sleep , look at his hair , eye , ear , finger mouth ..i cant believe this cute baby will never wake up again ............ ,.... sister In law demand to see baby but very stop her .. anyhow.. we / sister In law cant see baby anymore , 8am baby was sent to postmortem....
we can know the result after 5 days.........................................................................................

i cant sleep for the whole nite .. i keep dreaming .... i cant imagine if sister In law see her baby what will happened ...
so sorry to hear ur story pls be there for ur sil as well as ur bro...its really heartbreaking to hear such news...we'll pray for baby to be in a happier place..

i1babes

tnx all ... my sil is fine now .. in her confinement but when he saw baby on tv she will cry .. and very moody ..

faith80

Eight-Eleven Funeral Services Mr Ho is a very honest man .. really thanks him for explain to me . been call to so many funeral servise ask for the price ,for them is terrible except mr ho...

sister In law discharge today .. every thing is passed ... hope for a better 2moro .. baby rest in peace......................................................................................

I am sorry to hear this.. condolences to you and your family.... sometimes things might not go the way we planned them to be.... maybe it's not fated to be... sigh.... hope things will turn for the better for you and family soon... I read about a similar situation here: www.TodaysMotherhood.com/current. Take care.

Angelmum

xiaochuan said:
Hi Angelmum

just thot i will drop you a note

My little gal Chuan Xin left us on Wed 16dec.
She lost it to her brain injury.
She left with no pain and struggle, in my arms. There were no warning signs except she did look pale and less movement on that day.
My boy and i hugged her and sang to her before we took her to Kandang Kerbau Hospital.

I wanted to say thank you to you for all your kind words of support during the most difficult period when i struggled to accept her condition.

Thanks for everything.
One of our special needs child has left this world without much pain.

tika

my deepest condolences to xiaochuan and her family. May God give them all the strength they need to cope with this difficult period.

autumn82

Sorry to hear this piece of sad news, xiao chuan & family. My deepest sympathy for the loss of chuan xin. I wish you all possible comforts at this difficult time. *pats*

jasobias

my deepest condolences to xiochuan..really broke my heart on hearing tht.May God give them the strength to get through this challenging period in their lives.