low milk supply

any moms here who also has low milk supply like me? i can only pump about less than 50ml each time and has to feed my baby with formula. :(

how old is yr baby? in the early stage, disadvantages of pumping milk is when u see little milk pumped out, u will be stressed with the amount u see.

why not latch baby most of the time, then move to pumping after latching.

my baby is 6 weeks old. i latched during the first 2 weeks but gav up and jus pump instead. does it affect supply if u dun latch but jus pump? she's drinkg about 90ml now and my supply isnt enough to catch up :(

lydlydlyd

How often are you pumping? And for how long?

For myself, I exclusive pump after the first week, every 2 - 3 hours, even in the middle of night. Each time for about 15min (i used a dual pump) It's important to pump regularly especially in the initial stage.

There was a period where i drop pumps and my output decrease slightly. I had to increase the frequency of pumping sessions to bring back the supply. You may want to try pumping more frequently to increase supply.

if u wanted to do exclusive pumping, best to pump on a fixed schedule like 3 hrly, include night pump helps alot. from there , milk should start to increase.

a good pump is very important. dual electric pump.

diza

4 sessions means every 6 hours, pump once.. That's not enough. If you want ur child to be BF exclusively and you want to increase ur supply, then do what ilovebbdylan suggested. Pump every 3 hours so in a day, u will have 8 pumping sessions.

mei05

any moms here who also has low milk supply like me? i can only pump about less than 50ml each time and has to feed my baby with formula. :(
I have the same issue as u... my bb is 25days old... I can only pump are 40ml from both side.. even midnite pumping yields the same too.. my bb now drinks 90-120ml.. I also have to supplement with formula.. I latch & pump but still no improvement..

i also want to highlight to new mummies, try to do some read up on how to create more "let down" for milk to flow better. stimulate etc etc. it might help.

i realise some mummies cannot get good amount when they do not have proper let down. happen to me inital stage, sometimes until now if i am too stress, tired, let down does not happen. so i switch off pump and wait and try again.

I have the same issue as u... my bb is 25days old... I can only pump are 40ml from both side.. even midnite pumping yields the same too.. my bb now drinks 90-120ml.. I also have to supplement with formula.. I latch & pump but still no improvement..
that's why... i see others can even pump for the next few days and i dont even have enough for a few feeds for the day :( tried fenugreek but no use, tried drinking fish soup, no use also...

i also want to highlight to new mummies, try to do some read up on how to create more "let down" for milk to flow better. stimulate etc etc. it might help.

i realise some mummies cannot get good amount when they do not have proper let down. happen to me inital stage, sometimes until now if i am too stress, tired, let down does not happen. so i switch off pump and wait and try again.
i tried but doesn't help at all...

ling.er

Hi, i consider low supply also.. When my baby was 6 week, i latch n latch she will cry n cry.. Meaning hungry. I nv give up contiunes latch her to slp. After latch i pump is as little as 20ML only.
Now i'm working which every 3-4 Hour i pump i only have 100ML.
I try Oat / Milo / red date / green papaya soup with fish tail / feguneek but seem no help. I understand your feeling,
till now i still dun wan give up.. Looking for other way to boost my supply too.

milyve

Hi, this is what I do hope it helps the mummies out here.

I do exclusive pumping for my bb since day 5 as he was admitted for Jaundice. After he discharged we decided to bottle feed to monitor his intake. This is how I build my supply and have freezer full of milk.

Intial stage you have to pump frequently every three hrs even at night. Try not to skip at most drag to 4hrly at night. The thing about pumping ia to relax don't look at the bottle and feel stress about the amount coming out. Do something like read fb, read mummysg foum, watch show, etc. Get yourself a comfortable chair and set a pumping corner to make yourself comfortable.

I supplement by drinking Mother's Milk tea. You can get it from iherb.com. One tea bag per day. I usually drink one cup after or before I pump. So one tea bag can be used for a few round.

Important thing is to replenished your fluid. Drink plebty of water or the milk tea. Usually I will drink one cup of water before pump then one cup of tea after pump.

After your supply is enough, you can adjust your pumping schedule to 4hrly.

Hope it helps the mummies out there!

I started with 40-60ml for every 3hr pump... to boost more I pump every 1.5hr in the noon as 3 pump equal to bb 2 feeds. once stabilise I drink nursing tea n do power pumping. Must b patient n pump diligently

mei05

Hi, i consider low supply also.. When my baby was 6 week, i latch n latch she will cry n cry.. Meaning hungry. I nv give up contiunes latch her to slp. After latch i pump is as little as 20ML only.
I try Oat / Milo / red date / green papaya soup with fish tail / feguneek but seem no help. I understand your feeling,
till now i still dun wan give up.. Looking for other way to boost my supply too.
Ya my boy too always latch & latch & still not satisfy.. you continue to let your bb suckle even if you know she's not drinking? I latch him to slp however once nipple is out of his mouth he will wake up. So you have never supplement any formula before?

mei05

Hi, this is what I do hope it helps the mummies out here.

I do exclusive pumping for my bb since day 5 as he was admitted for Jaundice. After he discharged we decided to bottle feed to monitor his intake. This is how I build my supply and have freezer full of milk.

Intial stage you have to pump frequently every three hrs even at night. Try not to skip at most drag to 4hrly at night. The thing about pumping ia to relax don't look at the bottle and feel stress about the amount coming out. Do something like read fb, read mummysg foum, watch show, etc. Get yourself a comfortable chair and set a pumping corner to make yourself comfortable.

I supplement by drinking Mother's Milk tea. You can get it from iherb.com. One tea bag per day. I usually drink one cup after or before I pump. So one tea bag can be used for a few round.

Important thing is to replenished your fluid. Drink plebty of water or the milk tea. Usually I will drink one cup of water before pump then one cup of tea after pump.

After your supply is enough, you can adjust your pumping schedule to 4hrly.

Hope it helps the mummies out there!
I did exclusive pumping for awhile too as my boy's weight gain is not ideal.... I pumped every 3 hrs even thru the nite but my supply nvr increase...

thanks for sharing.. :) i currently supplementing with formula and also feeding baby with whatever i have. i tried drinking more water too but it doesn't seems to help much. I'm also wondering if boob size matters haha. i noticed that women with bigger boobs like above C cup have more milk and those sadly, B and below, has no milk.

By right it shouldnt be due to breast size. I remember reading its more about the capacity depending on individual.. for example 6 hr n 9 hr of no pumping. I will still pump 280ml. If I go out I bring extra empty bottle to hand express out so that I can have more milk to pump out once I reach hm. Every drop counts as my supply is just enough.

breast size will not affect milk supply. but big breast means can store more milk compared to smaller breast, but does not mean make more milk.

to make more milk is to remove milk from breast frequently so that out body will know we need more milk.

so if u are smaller size than others, u need to be more diligent to remove milk efficient even at night without fail. it really takes up time and very tired.

that's based on my friends and people i know. those who has bigger boobs said they have so much milk and those who has smaller boobs like some of my friends and i have no milk :(