Mandarin Speaking

autumn82

I can't agree with you more. I dunno what the older generation were taught when they went to school coz i keep hearing the older generation mispronounce simple words like ci4 or chi4 instead of chi1 for eat.

Ya, my mil says this too!

It gets on my nerves every time i hear such bad chinese. My mil can only speak mandarin and she speaks like that. Can't stop her from speaking to my gal in this case lor. She tried speaking to my dd in English that day and i politely corrected her terrible attempt. It went something like this: Is this your one? This is not your one ah? Then whose one ah? *faint*
When Belle says that, I'll just say :err::err:your 1, 2 or 3? :tlaugh::tlaugh:

Eloise Chen

Hello, everyone. I'm new here, 1st post.:shyxxx:

My boy only 8 months old now. My hubby and I speak mandarin or english to him, but my parent in-law sometime will speak dialet to him. Like tat will made him confused???

joeichen

then you have to do the teaching! Grandparents/ aunts/ uncles of your boy can speak dialect to him lor...
Funny thing is tat the grandparents speak to him in mandarin.
I different dialet so scare teach wrongly oso.
The aunties n uncles all speak to him in mandarin oso.

joeichen

My boy only 8 months old now. My hubby and I speak mandarin or english to him, but my parent in-law sometime will speak dialet to him. Like tat will made him confused???
Actually, thr is a research shown tat children below 6 or 7 r very smart. They can learn up to 7 languages without getting confuse.
My mum told me tat oso, she say when we young we can speak to them in mandarin or english then once turn to grandma we can immediately change to dialet without any pro.
Din know we r so gd.... :red:

Ottermum

Actually, thr is a research shown tat children below 6 or 7 r very smart. They can learn up to 7 languages without getting confuse.
My mum told me tat oso, she say when we young we can speak to them in mandarin or english then once turn to grandma we can immediately change to dialet without any pro.
Din know we r so gd.... :red:
yeah yeah i totally agree!!!

last time i could speak dialect to my grandparents too...

but my spoken English was sooooo bad! STILL REMEMBER 1st day Pri 1 i didn't know a SINGLE WORD of English too...Pri 1 leh...7 yrs old still dunno...there's only 1 boy who understood English n whenever he said 'yes' everyone followed....hahahaaaa...~~yesterday~~....

snowbear

Not really. Exposing your child to different languages when he's young enables him to pick these up easily. When i was young, my family spoke English and Teochew to me, my nanny and her family spoke Chinese and Hokkien. I dun think i was confused la. I'm proficient in both English and Chinese compared to my brother who is proficient only in English coz he was not fostered out and wasn't exposed to Chinese.

snowbear

Funny thing is tat the grandparents speak to him in mandarin.
I different dialet so scare teach wrongly oso.
The aunties n uncles all speak to him in mandarin oso.
Maybe they're afraid that you or your hubby dun like them to learn dialect? Different dialect also can teach la... my hubby's hokkien and i'm teochew. i think it's ok to learn both coz i did that when i was young! :)

Oppsgal

I am also having one kid... Then can concentrate plus no jealousy between kids.

I speak mixture of language with bb. :tlaugh:Sometimes speak "bb language" too. When bb start screaming non stop I started the same whining sound together then bb will look at me like I am nut. :001_302:

yeah yeah i totally agree!!!

last time i could speak dialect to my grandparents too...

but my spoken English was sooooo bad! STILL REMEMBER 1st day Pri 1 i didn't know a SINGLE WORD of English too...Pri 1 leh...7 yrs old still dunno...there's only 1 boy who understood English n whenever he said 'yes' everyone followed....hahahaaaa...~~yesterday~~....
ahahaha. so im not the only one. both my parents are not english educated. and in kindergarden teacher teach in mandarin too. i learnt my eng since pri1 onwards. got b3 for o's. already consider very good to me cause i only use english in school.. with friends, singlish....
i guess children pick up languages quite fast. so expose them to as many different language as possible. i can understand hokkien, teochew and cantonese. cause my parents speak hokkien to each other, mum speaks teochew to my granny, and she also watch those hk dramas. but can only speak hokkien.. cause no chance to try speaking other dialects. haha.

I can't agree with you more. I dunno what the older generation were taught when they went to school coz i keep hearing the older generation mispronounce simple words like ci4 or chi4 instead of chi1 for eat.

Ya, my mil says this too!

It gets on my nerves every time i hear such bad chinese. My mil can only speak mandarin and she speaks like that. Can't stop her from speaking to my gal in this case lor. She tried speaking to my dd in English that day and i politely corrected her terrible attempt. It went something like this: Is this your one? This is not your one ah? Then whose one ah? *faint*
cannot blame them la. education system not that good back then. during their days not everyone has a chance to go to school you know. even if they do, they dont put in as much effort in learning cause education not as important to them as it is to us now..
and also, they are use to their own dialect la..
i use to laugh at my papa or mama when they 'try' to speak english. cause the way the pronounce words always sounds so funny. they would always jokingly say, 'mama dont know you never teach mama then how mama learn..' then one day, it suddenly struck me. hey, its this two not educated adults who sent me to school to study leh. not for them, i will be like them, kana laugh by other people lo..