manual or electric breast pumps

Satellite

I am currently 26 weeks pregnant and am thinking of getting a breast pump for when the baby arrives.

Not sure which I should get? Would you suggest a manual one or an electric one?

Do they let you try these out at the hospital when I deliver? (I am going to deliver at KKH)

jassmine

i prefer the electric pump... easy flow n wont tired ur hand... haha im the lazy type... i recommend medela pump ... even kkh is using this brand too really good

Sara

Hi! I would definitely recommend the electric breast pump. With my 1st dd I used Pigeon brand and it did the job fairly well. Now thinking of switching to Medela of Avent to see if brand makes any difference. lol.
Whatever it is, must perservere with the pumping to establish good flow of milk. Good Luck, dear! :)

I am currently 26 weeks pregnant and am thinking of getting a breast pump for when the baby arrives.

Do they let you try these out at the hospital when I deliver? (I am going to deliver at KKH)
i am using the electric breast pump Pigeon brand, it very useful at home. but when back to office, i found that very noisy, so i never use it in office (coz i press in toilet ma, so sian if ppl know i am press BM). :001_302:

cc_2

I am using Avant Manual pump. It's quite tiring to pump and now my veins are popping out..quite ugly. But since it's my last baby dont wanna spend too much so got to live with it..

ling76

Is it safe to go ahead & buy the electric breast pump coz im not even sure if i will have enough or any milk to produce (at all ) after delivery of my boy in about 17 days time ??

autumn82

Is it safe to go ahead & buy the electric breast pump coz im not even sure if i will have enough or any milk to produce (at all ) after delivery of my boy in about 17 days time ??
My personal advice is to latch on yr bb to increase ur supply since u would be ard for the next 2-3mths if u r working. It wouldn't be too late to get it after full month if u r gonna continue to bf. :)

ash.rebecca

hi what are the electic recommended? was thinking of ameda dual.. cos the avent manual really very tired the hand while pumpin....

oblong

hi what are the electic recommended? was thinking of ameda dual.. cos the avent manual really very tired the hand while pumpin....
i was using medela mini e during my ML. Find that it takes a long time for me... since decided to go back to work, need to quickly pump so using medela pump in style (PIS). Found it a lot better. Saves time and quite effective pump.

whinypooh

I'm using Ameda Dual..

Love it so much!!!

I previously used the Avent manual till I got so fed up.. Then I when down to BMSG to try out both PIS and Ameda.. Both are about the same so bought Ameda instead (cheaper by 50%)..

I'll advice that you go down to BMSG to try out after delivering yr baby. Then you can buy there cos it's cheaper than other places.. You can also join as their member to enjoy other privledges..

And most imptly, you WILL definitely have breast milk!! As long as you keep latching/ pumping, you will produce enough bm to bf yr baby!!

Jia you!!!:wong19:

pinkie

i used avent manual for 2 years each for my 2 boys. so that's 4 years!! Love it love it. i found electric pumps too painful too strong and too noisy. avent manual is non-intimidating for first time moms, can press as lightly as you want, and also, can speed up or slow down depending on whether u are having a let down etc...

Joyjoy

satellite,
if you are too concern, can try medela swing. Its a eletric pump, silent and can be battery- operated. Some ppl find electric pump too powerful, would cause sore nipple while battery-operated can be weak after nurmerous pumping rendering extraction less effective.. Try Medela swing, if you can afford. Can adjust the power too.

Satellite

thanks. Would it be better to get the pump that does both breast at the same time or better to get the pump that does one side at a time?

Where is "BMSG " - quite keen to try it before buying.

jassmine

pump both breast at the same time would save alot of time, but i feel one side a time will b better, as in wont feel pumping pain together n wont make me feel likei m a milk cow

yvonne_ktw

I'm wondering did your breast gets bigger when you are pregnant,feel any engorge/pain on it?
If i'm not wrong after asking around doing survey i think those who's breast get bigger when pregnant they will have milk supply. THose who did not does not have any milk supply at all even thou they latch on, pump out.

Joyjoy

mine is a single...but i have seen many mummies expressing using double pump. Really effective. N it comes in handy too if you intend to give EBM as double pump will maintain your milk flow.

bluechin

BMSG Moderator
Personally i was determined to breastfeed long term and found the electric pump a worthy investment in the long run despite the price.