martial arts too young?

thepinkcream

Hi, i have an active 5YO, wondering if 5YO is too young to expose my son to martial arts, coz in my eyes its a bit like fighting with structure...?? Feedback anyone?

personally i wont let my child learn that. i rather them learn swimming, piano, dancing, etc. then again, its just my opinion.

stonston

Every child is different. There are some with more mature thinking and do not fight around, then I think it's good to introduce martials arts. But there are some who may not understand sport fighting and real fighting, then it's best to wait till they are slightly older.

I will let my boy try if he shows interest (bring him to nearby CC to observe lessons first).

Ting

actually martial arts is also abt discipline. i see no harm as long as your kid is old (mature) enuf to understand.
but for 5 yo, i dun think they will teach them those super kicks n punches, just some basics only.
if pin is interested, i dun mind letting her try. :)

lemontee

If he shows interests then go ahead, but if he uses the skills to kick and punch people around him, then perhaps can consider again and let him learn at an older age.

curiobaby

Hi, i have an active 5YO, wondering if 5YO is too young to expose my son to martial arts, coz in my eyes its a bit like fighting with structure...?? Feedback anyone?

Hi, kids have the ability to learn well at a young age so its good for them to start as early as they can cope.
Martial arts not only teaches fighting skills but also builds confidence, motor abilities, and discipline. I have been an assistant instructor coaching wushu to young children for many years. I have seen these positive benefits for the children. There are many 4-6yrs old as well as older children, and they are able to cope well with training after a few months.
Children at this age also have strong interest to achieve goals & learn skills, and they also have the flexibility to do so. Its an optimal time to build their interest for this sport. The difference in their attitude as their learning progresses is particularly noticeable after 2 years of training.
For your active 5 yr old, it is also a good way to disperse his energy.
I do hope this helps. Kindly PM me if you need more details. :)

AugBoyz

I have a spirited boy who have endless energy. And becoz of his bursts of energy or activeness, he is always getting into trouble, coz not all the kids in class/school is able to match up to his energy n activeness. And when he is in one of his moods, takes a while for him to calm down. I have ever thought of sending him to Akido lesson where I heard fm a fren that they teaches u to control ur energy and disperse them etc. I have yet to find out more about this, may try to look at this later this year or early next year as he is attending drama classes on Sat which has also taught him to slow down and listen to instructions etc.