Maternal Sanitary Pads. Is it nessesary?

pocus2000

Hi Mums and Mums-to-be,

Abit Paisei:shyxxx: to ask but:

Is it really nessesary to buy maternal Sanitary Pads?

The reason I ask cos my wife and I have been shopping for maternal pads but very hard to find. And so far only got 1 brand and it's without wings.
Can just wear normal non-slim pads?

Where can we shop for more choices of maternal pads?

Thanks in advance....

junebug86

Hi,

Congrats!

Your wife will most probably need maternity pads especially the 1st few days after birth as the lochia can soak a normal pad as soon as its put on. Hospitals do provide maternity pads but at an extra cost.

So far I think all maternity pads are only available without wings. I have seen 2 brands at Giant hypermart before. One is Pureen and the other is Kotex.

Hope this helps. :)

Itsy Bitsy

I used the usual normal pads that I had been using. Just need to change more often, my lochia just like my normal period, just lasted longer than the monthly ones.

pocus2000

Thanks for the advise ladies,

We saw Pureen one but Wife not sure if it's good. Never see Kotex brand. Think we will take a trip to Giant.
Btw do the hospital (TMC) give pads?

How about disposable maternal panties? Is there such thing? We looks around but they only sell the normal types, none specially made for maternal. Is it needed or normal ones can do?

KiBin

no need to feel awkward...

you can try watsons for the maternity pads.. as for disposable panties, try mothercare?

babymummy39

Hi Itsy Bitsy,

May i know what normal brand u using & longer type (cm) & u using normal panties/disposal. i had check Kotex maternity pads are only available without wings.

Itsy Bitsy

Hi Itsy Bitsy,

May i know what normal brand u using & longer type (cm) & u using normal panties/disposal. i had check Kotex maternity pads are only available without wings.
Hi babymummy39,
I always use Laurier Slimguard 30cm, with wings. It's those very slim pad, 1mm I think.
I can't take thick pad, very uncomfortable for me.
I did use the maternity pads that the hospital provided when I gave birth.
When I got home, I used the Laurier, and it worked just fine for me.

pocus2000,
Watson's does sell disposable panties.
Buy the cotton ones for comfort.
Just make sure the cutting is not 'mini' type, cover till the waist if possible.
The reason is if it's a c-sec delivery, the elastic will not touch the wound bandage.

SheauWei

Tmc will give one pack of Kotex maternity pad, actually is chargeable at $5+.
Will suggest buy one more pack for spare cos I finished the first pack during day 2.
The flow is really like fountain n for hygiene purpose, need to change often too. Tmc pharmacy is also selling it at $3+. Or u can go to ck stores, cheaper.
i personally feel the texture of kotex is good n soft. Although no wing but if it can stay well with the disposable panties from tmc.

KKH has the superb cooling pad! Very ex... has ice packs in the pad which helps cool the wound.

anyway, for both pregnancies, I only used the usual super long night pads... maternity pads are thick and uncomfortable!

Qookie

Regular pads work as well. Depending on the flow, your wife can use the thick long night pads for the night and regular pads for the day.

lynntoh

talking about disposable panties, do your use them? I was thinking maybe this would be a better choice during confinement since we cant touch water?

june83

talking about disposable panties, do your use them? I was thinking maybe this would be a better choice during confinement since we cant touch water?
Hi lynntoh, i use disposable panties for my whole confinement. Those cotton type disposable one is more comfy.

mrsred

I used Kotex looped maternity pads (without wings) for my previous pregnancy and will use it for this pregnancy as well. I like that it was smooth and i didnt have to worry abt the episiotomy stitches being entangled in the "net-like" layer that normal period pads may have for better absorption. I bought my stash from Taka baby fair at $1.80 per pack of 10! NTUC has the winged version, but more expensive.

lynntoh

I used Kotex looped maternity pads (without wings) for my previous pregnancy and will use it for this pregnancy as well. I like that it was smooth and i didnt have to worry abt the episiotomy stitches being entangled in the "net-like" layer that normal period pads may have for better absorption. I bought my stash from Taka baby fair at $1.80 per pack of 10! NTUC has the winged version, but more expensive.
I forgot what type i used for my first confinement also le. Lols! now its as if i am a FTM

Tannie

I tried kotex, pureen n mothercare... my comment is pureen is thick ... unless u r big size else u will feel uncomfy... mother care ones has wing but ex... kotex is so far the most comfy.

since u will be resting most of the time with minimal movement, u dun need the wing type... cause u shld be resting on bed n u will also scare of big movement due to the wound.

Meowmummy

I tried kotex, pureen n mothercare... my comment is pureen is thick ... unless u r big size else u will feel uncomfy... mother care ones has wing but ex... kotex is so far the most comfy.

since u will be resting most of the time with minimal movement, u dun need the wing type... cause u shld be resting on bed n u will also scare of big movement due to the wound.
Hi Tannie,
out of the 3 brands,
kotex, pureen n mothercare which one of them is the cotton
type? Not the Dri-weave type (plastic looking)

Gladdyheng

I used "Madame" Maternity pads bought from Giant. Quite cheap too. After I ran out of it in the 1st week, went to buy but couldn't find and end up buy kotex. didn't really like the loop coz didn't know how to loop it in. Actually I think the maternity pads are better as it does not stick to the bottom and allows the wound to air better. I had super heavy flow so it helped to have a bit of "space".

Disposable panties are not a must. Can stick to own panties if it is more comfortable. I just bought normal travel disposable panties. My mum told me after confinement..."Actually it's just so you don't need to keep washing your panties and it's best you don't touch cold water when you wash too. Plus your mother-in-law doing confinement for you, you will feel paiseh to ask her to wash your undergarments for you right?" Okay so the revelation came later.