Maternity Leave.

Pwiincess

I will be eligible to apply for my maternity leave. We have 3 months of that, in the law of MOM, right? My EDD is in Mid-March 2008. So when should I start taking my Maternity leave? Which date to take is the best to wait for Baby's arrival? Or work til my EDD date?

Any advices?

Thanks In Advance.

Hi,

For my first child, I work till i deliver so my maternity start on the day i deliver (which is monday), better for me cos i need it more after the baby is born, the breastfeeding and no sleep, so for my second child, it will be the same too :)

JenLee98

To be precise, it's 12 weeks of maternity leave..... including weekends and public holidays. I was working till I delivered on a Sat, did not take early to stay at home.

Jane_Mummy

Hi, i will also work till my edd date then i stop working liao but i dunno my company will give mi maternity leave or not as i resign liao then after tat i found out i was pregnant then my company ask mi to stay .

Pwiincess

Aren't you all worried that you might suddenly go into labour when working? I mean, we do not know when baby decides to pop out. Or the gynae will let you know the exact date? Sorry if too many qns. =x

Jane_Mummy

die man nw i dunno my company still wan mi or not coz they just tell mi to convert to part time lei then i will entitle maternity leave liao then will have no money to give birth and check up already.

shopaholic

I worked till I deliver. Actually 2 weeks before my EDD, I had already handed over my work to my replacement. So the last 2 weeks was very free-and-easy for me. :p And at that time, I was working in a hospital, anytime my baby wanna pop, my colleagues will rush me to the labour ward! :D

shopaholic

die man nw i dunno my company still wan mi or not coz they just tell mi to convert to part time lei then i will entitle maternity leave liao then will have no money to give birth and check up already.
I think it's better to check with MOM if they can do that? That may be your company's excuse for not paying the full maternity leave.

CynCyn

Aren't you all worried that you might suddenly go into labour when working? I mean, we do not know when baby decides to pop out. Or the gynae will let you know the exact date? Sorry if too many qns. =x
There will always be symptoms and signs to show that yr going into labour . Most of my friends work till they are in labour . While working if ur waterbag burst or there's a show meaning that there's blood or you can monitor yr contractions . It won't be too late one .

In my own opinion it's best to take maternity leave when in the midst of working u felt tt yr going into labour . Then you can have more time to spend with yr baby .

Gynae will only give the EDD , estimated delivery date which is only a rough gauge . And majority delivers before or after EDD date there's still miniority who delivers on their EDD . There's no exact date the gynae can gauge accurately .

muman

Actually, no need to worry to much. I Planned to work till the day before EDD. But the week before my gynae suggested me to rest at home already, then went for c-setion.

Jane_Mummy

I think it's better to check with MOM if they can do that? That may be your company's excuse for not paying the full maternity leave.
coz i already resign tat time but i haven found out i was pregnant then after i submit the letter then found out i am pregnant then they ask mi to stay to work for them as they need ppl lor then i said ok lor , nw i veri stress lor .

Pwiincess

There will always be symptoms and signs to show that yr going into labour . Most of my friends work till they are in labour . While working if ur waterbag burst or there's a show meaning that there's blood or you can monitor yr contractions . It won't be too late one .

In my own opinion it's best to take maternity leave when in the midst of working u felt tt yr going into labour . Then you can have more time to spend with yr baby .

Gynae will only give the EDD , estimated delivery date which is only a rough gauge . And majority delivers before or after EDD date there's still miniority who delivers on their EDD . There's no exact date the gynae can gauge accurately .
So CynCyn, you advising me to work til I go into labour? Then apply maternity when I delivered DD?

Hi Pwiincess,

Yep, I feel it is better to work till give birth, cos you really need the time with the baby! How's everything coming along for you?

Pwiincess

Hi Pwiincess,

Yep, I feel it is better to work till give birth, cos you really need the time with the baby! How's everything coming along for you?
Cos my superior ask me to take one week before my EDD. And proposed another way of Maternity leave. They propose for me to take two months of leave, then the 3rd month of maternity leave to be stretch over 6 months. What do you guys advice?? Oh ya, another ans.. once you give birth, would you be automatically priviledged with the two days child care leave?

thanks smurferoos. i'm doing well. baby is kicking as vigorously. check up next week. i can't wait to see my princess' progress!! :001_302:

naze

I worked till a day before my EDD to deliver my DD. As for whether to take Maternity Leave early or not ? Is depends on your health & your condition. If there is a need, then no choice, you have to take early, if not dont waste your Maternity Leave. Might as well, take them after you have delivered your baby & have a good rest during your confinement.

stonston

i worked till i deliver....n i nvr regret it cos i got more time with baby...n got more time to adjust back to going to work....

n my boss was v nice, she lessened my workload when i was preggie so i din have a hard time at work...in fact, i enjoy my work alot n love going to work everyday :)

aoi

my company needs me to give advanced notice of maternity leave. so i have to send in my maternity leave application form at least 1 month in advance. my company is very particular on "paper procedure". they prefer matters to be informed as early as possible, as they do not encourage last-minute notice.
:wong13:

i shall be starting my maternity leave 2 weeks before EDD, which is from week 38 of pregnancy onwards. i am pretty anxious, as my gynae says that it is possible for labour to begin anytime from or after week 37 onwards.

meanwhile, i have also saved up at least 1 month of annual leave, so that i can extend my 12 weeks of maternity leave further, with another month of rest at home.
:wong9:

Last edited:

vodkager

Cos my superior ask me to take one week before my EDD. And proposed another way of Maternity leave. They propose for me to take two months of leave, then the 3rd month of maternity leave to be stretch over 6 months. What do you guys advice?? Oh ya, another ans.. once you give birth, would you be automatically priviledged with the two days child care leave?

thanks smurferoos. i'm doing well. baby is kicking as vigorously. check up next week. i can't wait to see my princess' progress!! :001_302:
same.. my co. also work this way.. they scare after maternity leave we quit.. so stretch 3rd mth.. siansation.. i also having the same probs now.. dunno when to take my maternity leave.. but im thinking one week before EDD..