Maths in primary school are not easy

bingxu3

even my son is having a hard time coping and hes only primary 1 he gets confuse with de wats 1 more den 17 but 1 less 19

jedamum

even my son is having a hard time coping and hes only primary 1 he gets confuse with de wats 1 more den 17 but 1 less 19
ya..i feel that this type of question is actually testing english rather than maths. my boy finds it difficult too, especially those type of..
___ more than 9 is 15
6 more than ____ is 20
7 more than 5 is ______
____ is 9 more than 2
6 is ____ more than 3
7 is 5 more than ____
___ less than 9 is 5
6 less than ____ is 20
7 less than 15 is ______
____ is 9 less than 12
6 is ____ less than 13
7 is 5 less than ____

you see is it test english a not?

leey

hi,
in our side (hong kong),for kids' math,

only one word from me: "hard",

lucky it is not as senior math topic like "caculus" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:embarrassed:

bingxu3

ya..i feel that this type of question is actually testing english rather than maths. my boy finds it difficult too, especially those type of..
___ more than 9 is 15
6 more than ____ is 20
7 more than 5 is ______
____ is 9 more than 2
6 is ____ more than 3
7 is 5 more than ____
___ less than 9 is 5
6 less than ____ is 20
7 less than 15 is ______
____ is 9 less than 12
6 is ____ less than 13
7 is 5 less than ____

you see is it test english a not?
YA LO and my boy can tell me marmie headache la u do for me can and i tell him cannot u try 1st den see how lol

pink lady

Hi all,

I also do agree that the maths papers is a test of English. My daughter is facing this problem as well. But don't know why some of her classmates can score very high marks (mock tests and practice papers though) lei. My husband was saying why are they having this kind of maths at P1. He said at P1 they shouldn't be having this kind of questions!

EnFlor

Don't schools conduct workshops for parents to tackle on tough subjects/topics ? It will be good to have such sessions. I guess, in future, i will have to bother my SIL who is a primary school teacher. :001_302:

Looks like if topics are getting tougher these days, parents will have to buy texts early to orientate themselves first. So when the kids have qs for us, we may be of help....probably! :embarrassed:

leey

Don't schools conduct workshops for parents to tackle on tough subjects/topics ? It will be good to have such sessions. I guess, in future, i will have to bother my SIL who is a primary school teacher. :001_302:

Looks like if topics are getting tougher these days, parents will have to buy texts early to orientate themselves first. So when the kids have qs for us, we may be of help....probably! :embarrassed:
Yes, most parents spend much on this;

and also on some tutor school for the child of secondary school like F1-F3.

:wong19::we2Randy-git:

jedamum

so..is your SIL willing to conduct workshops for us? :001_302:
i read somewhere at at some point around P3, due to the subject's 'complexity', parents will have difficulty coping with coaching their kids in school work.:elvis:

EnFlor

would be great if we could have our own group workshops (according to areas) conducted by acquaintances who are teachers or even forummers here who are primary school teachers. Teaching us methods to tackle tough topics.

Personally, i don't mind paying for their services if it is going to be beneficial. (pssssttt....voluntarily would be better, :001_302: ) If we have to wait for the respectives schools to conduct educational workshops....well, gotta wait 'long long lah'

Anyone here wants to start the ball rolling in organizing it ? Do announce it here in the forum.

1568mummy

Its really so hard to be a child in this new era.

I really pity them. There simply any childhood fun, especially those kids that are slower in absorbing what was taught, they need tution just to get by with the daily homework...its tough....

I had been a tution teacher for years and I saw the changes in the syllabus, its way to extreme, in my point of view. In no time, the secondary school students will be study what the Uni are teaching now.

*sigh*:nah:

mosupdate!

I must confess that I was fuming as well when I saw the maths test papers for my P1 boy. Certain concepts are way beyond what we learnt in P2 or 3 during our time.

I am no child expert in the area of mathematical concept acquisition but I think what we could do is to concretise the experience for them. I tried some techniques myself which I wrote about in my blog.

You could read it and try it out. ;)

Re: GW

why do i keep seeing all those gold, war etc which have no link to all the disccusson?

can moderator pls do something about it?

my boy also get confuse over these kinda maths.

i try to give him example.... and maybe take pencils out to show him 1 more then 5.... so i took 5 pencils out and then add one more in and told him more means plus...

maMaSan

Re: GW

Mine too gets very confused especially for problem sums which require 2 or more steps. I just signed him up for MPM maths which is supposed to help kids with higher order thinking...

Angelmum

Long long ago .... during mada cheng tay ko time, my Maths was great! I like so pro, can even give tuitions!
Now, I look at my P5 son's Maths I dont dare challenge him :nah:. I see the complexity = blur. Lazy to damage my brain cells, otherwise, I sure get more grey hairs. P5 std almost like my Sec 3.

So kids now forced to learn harder stuff to make entry to U more difficult? or more kids to suffer depression, matured faster, get more grey hair/stress? Really dont like this kind of style :Dancing_sad::swoon:

Friend

I agreed with mummies here. Maths in Primary school is a test of English language command understanding and resolving it in a mathematical way with step by step to correct answers. At any step, it will be awarded point, it does not mean that student got correct answer, they will get full marks for that sum.

Teacher did feedback that students that get the answers are majority due to they do not understand the english question and minority is student do not understand how to solve it by steps to the correct answers.

So parents needs to look for enrichment classes that provide step by step working, as I know some kids can get the correct answers straightaway...xin suan....etc...