Maths tutor for special need student

SunShine07

Hi, My neice is in P1 this year. Looking for a good tutor to teach her, as my sister don't know how to teach her to make her have a better understanding.

Because my neice has difficulties understanding the concept when we teach her, and her current tutor also don't know how to teach her, that's why now need a tutor who had experience dealing with special need child in maths.

Anyone had someone to recommand? Please help, thank you.

Angelmum

Teaching experience from a SPED teacher ....

"she recalls that when she encountered a student who had refused to do work, the first thing she did was to draw visuals to communicate with him, thinking that he needed more instructions. But she later came to realise that it wasn't that he didn't understand instructions, but that he didn't know how to ask for help and had "shut down".

"I had taken many things for granted and assumed the students had a certain level of maturity to be able to do what I thought were simple things. But it turned out I had to break down the instructions to even simpler steps and also take time to understand each student's needs, which can be quite different from one another."

how about trying this - break down the instructions to even simpler steps?
some steps or ways we thot very simple but to them is too complex/confusing.

SunShine07

Teaching experience from a SPED teacher ....

"she recalls that when she encountered a student who had refused to do work, the first thing she did was to draw visuals to communicate with him, thinking that he needed more instructions. But she later came to realise that it wasn't that he didn't understand instructions, but that he didn't know how to ask for help and had "shut down".

"I had taken many things for granted and assumed the students had a certain level of maturity to be able to do what I thought were simple things. But it turned out I had to break down the instructions to even simpler steps and also take time to understand each student's needs, which can be quite different from one another."

how about trying this - break down the instructions to even simpler steps?
some steps or ways we thot very simple but to them is too complex/confusing.
Tried, but sometimes she seems to understands, sometimes don't. And she will suddenly get very frustrate and shout too.

Her exam coming, so my sister very worried....

stonston

Liang jia, can you describe ur niece's special needs in more detail?
Different children have different abilities and it's best if the tutor knows more about the child before they can step up and say "yes, I can definitely help this child.".

I'm trained in special needs but the special needs students I tutor at the moment are dylesxic students and some with mild autism.

SunShine07

Liang jia, can you describe ur niece's special needs in more detail?
Different children have different abilities and it's best if the tutor knows more about the child before they can step up and say "yes, I can definitely help this child.".

I'm trained in special needs but the special needs students I tutor at the moment are dylesxic students and some with mild autism.
As far as i know, she is mild autism. Global delay, short attention spent, can't focus, need to push her a lot to study....something like this.

stonston

Liang Jia, in this case what your niece needs is constant supervision. She needs someone who can sit down with her, plan with her how she is going to finish her homework/revision with adequate rest and play in between (to help battle the short-attention span).

Hiring a tutor isn't going to be a long term solution. For my students with autism, they have someone at home to monitor them consistently. Tutors are not able to do that due to the amount of time spent with the child each week. I've helped the main caregivers plan their timetables and give them occasional calls/SMSes to check on them and I'll go over to teach them twice a week.

The main aim is not to improve the child's academic results only but equip the child with life-long skills (time management and self-management). Once the child understands herself better, she'll be able to perform to her maximum potential.

SunShine07

Liang Jia, in this case what your niece needs is constant supervision. She needs someone who can sit down with her, plan with her how she is going to finish her homework/revision with adequate rest and play in between (to help battle the short-attention span).

Hiring a tutor isn't going to be a long term solution. For my students with autism, they have someone at home to monitor them consistently. Tutors are not able to do that due to the amount of time spent with the child each week. I've helped the main caregivers plan their timetables and give them occasional calls/SMSes to check on them and I'll go over to teach them twice a week.

The main aim is not to improve the child's academic results only but equip the child with life-long skills (time management and self-management). Once the child understands herself better, she'll be able to perform to her maximum potential.
Yes, my sister did that also, she teach her, but somehow she dun seems to understands. She also dun know how to teach then she will understand the concept. Hence she is frustrated, lost and anxious...

If you are saying that wait for her to understand herself better, then will it be too late? Actually she is 9yrs old, now then P1, already delayed 2 yrs....

Do you help this kind of student?

stonston

Liang Jia,

It's hard to wait for her to know herself better. It must be taught to her explicitly.

For example if she has short attention span, ask her what would she like to see/hear? Or what is her favourite colour? And try to use her favourite items in teaching her to attract her attention. And also observe how long she can sustain her attention. If she needs a break every 15min, work out a schedule that will allow her to get a break every 15min.

I've a student who is ADHD. He knows that he will get fidgety every 20minutes and he has a timer which will vibrate every 20min. everytime it vibrates, he'll get up from his seat and stretch, hop on the spot and 'loosen up his body'. then he'll sit down to concentrate again. he was taught that he needed movement once in a while and after careful observations, it was decided that 20min is a good interval. His school teachers are happy with his improvement (less disruption during lesson, more attentive) and at the same time, he realise he needs to spend his energy, so recess is spent going to the school playground to play.

there are some things you can teach them, but you will still need to structure n guide them. it's hard to give a definitely 'plan' without looking at the detailed medical assessment, teacher's feedback and seeing the child's actual abilities by spending some interaction time.

SunShine07

Liang Jia,

It's hard to wait for her to know herself better. It must be taught to her explicitly.

For example if she has short attention span, ask her what would she like to see/hear? Or what is her favourite colour? And try to use her favourite items in teaching her to attract her attention. And also observe how long she can sustain her attention. If she needs a break every 15min, work out a schedule that will allow her to get a break every 15min.

I've a student who is ADHD. He knows that he will get fidgety every 20minutes and he has a timer which will vibrate every 20min. everytime it vibrates, he'll get up from his seat and stretch, hop on the spot and 'loosen up his body'. then he'll sit down to concentrate again. he was taught that he needed movement once in a while and after careful observations, it was decided that 20min is a good interval. His school teachers are happy with his improvement (less disruption during lesson, more attentive) and at the same time, he realise he needs to spend his energy, so recess is spent going to the school playground to play.

there are some things you can teach them, but you will still need to structure n guide them. it's hard to give a definitely 'plan' without looking at the detailed medical assessment, teacher's feedback and seeing the child's actual abilities by spending some interaction time.
Ya, my sis has been doing and plan after the therapy. Her problem is she don't like to study at all, like to play all day long. she likes TV like barney.....she is always asking for food like snacks, cakes and so on....give her. She also set the time like 20mins then she get to eat or play.

But worried is her study. Don't know how to teach her then she will understand the concept. And when teaching her she dont seems to listen and anyhow do her work.

The problem is now dun know how to teach her.

stonston

To be able to teach her successfully, must try many different methods, and explore many different ways. it's not an overnight solution, neither will it be a instant solution by hiring another tutor.

it'll be good if her mother can read up on montessori methods (keeping the child engaged and interested) and try out some of them. it takes time and patience to discover how a child learns. :)

SunShine07

My sister has do and spend what she can. She just want a tutor for her math because my sister 'don't know' how to teach her. No matter how she teach, she don't seems to get the concept. Of cos, she is not even well trained to teach to a special need student. She knows, it need time and patient, but she just dont know how to make her understand the concept.

All she wants now is a math tutor, of cos the tutor must have patient and know how to teach this kind of student.

Anyone there? Or to recommand? Please PM me. Thank you.

Hi, I happened to stumble on this site and saw the postings. I was browsing the net the other day and saw this ad by a lady who provides tuition for special needs.

While I agree with stonston abt the long term solution. I sense that Liang Jia's sister is currently @ wits end and wants a short term solution. I've been there. And although there's no quick fix, perhaps her sister needs a short break from teaching her child for now. So I thought I'll paste the link BUT Liang Jia, please speak to your sister about StonSton's recommendations going forward.

Tuition for special needs - Education Tuition & Seminar : Tuition

SunShine07

Hi, I happened to stumble on this site and saw the postings. I was browsing the net the other day and saw this ad by a lady who provides tuition for special needs.

While I agree with stonston abt the long term solution. I sense that Liang Jia's sister is currently @ wits end and wants a short term solution. I've been there. And although there's no quick fix, perhaps her sister needs a short break from teaching her child for now. So I thought I'll paste the link BUT Liang Jia, please speak to your sister about StonSton's recommendations going forward.

Tuition for special needs - Education Tuition & Seminar : Tuition
Ok, sure, will tell her all the suggestion given.

Thank you very much :)

stonston

Liang Jia, I just spoke to my friend who is also a trained special needs teacher in mainstream schools like me but her schedule is full at the moment though she would love to help. I'll help you ask my other friends :)

Angelmum

Besides Learning problem, could the child be mild Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) :err:

Helping Special Students Integrate Better into Society :
http://www.schoolbag.sg/archives/200...ents_integ.php
(Pathlight School was the first school to offer mainstream education for children with specific special educational needs who have IQ's above 75. It caters for children cognitively able to cope with the mainstream syllabus yet unable to cope socially and emotionally in mainstream school. Students are provided with autism friendly facilities, small class sizes and qualified teaching staff in the field of autism)

SunShine07

Liang Jia, I just spoke to my friend who is also a trained special needs teacher in mainstream schools like me but her schedule is full at the moment though she would love to help. I'll help you ask my other friends :)
Thank you so much for your help. :tlaugh:

joecrystl

Hi Sunflower07

I thinks the most important is that your sister must be patient with her.

Try using more real life examples to explain the mathematical concepts with her. By this way, she might be able to understand it much easier. For example, May has 10 apples. Jane has two more apples than May. How many did they have altogether. Perhaps, your sister can ask her to eat something which she likes to eat and countable so that she will understand it much better.

By the way, does her daughter has difficulty in counting? If she does then I think must start from the basics. This is because she needs to build up her foundation first before she can progress further.

CrystalWee

Hey, I have tutored such students before and they have shown improvement. As i use different ways to engage with them such as dramas and games which they will enjoy and naturally understand. Results guaranteed.

Furthermore, im a passionate and patient tutor. Hence, im confident in grooming the child to her fullest potential. My rates are Cheap @ 15-20/Hour :)

SMS me @ 91279230. For a FREE trail. :)

educator

Special needs children need a lot of patience. Getting the right tutor would be important even if one is trained does not necessary be able to click well with child. An experienced teacher does make a different but must have the passion to help and not just aiming for the money.

Last edited: