medi for baby on long flight

cutieseah

Hi mummies, am checking out if any of u noe that there is one type of medi for baby to take to let them slp on flight while on a long hr flight??
If yes, where i can get it?? Thanks.

apollo

i rmb my fren told me b4 that there is such medi for babies. But i feel that u shd consult a doc (if possible, a PD), to ask if there is a need to give such medi and if there is any side effects. and i believe such medi cant be bought at any pharmacy, have to consult doc bahh.

cutieseah

Ya.. My sil told mi abt this but i was thinking to check out first before i consult pd.. But does all pd have or depend??.

apollo

I not sure abt this. U may want to check with ur pd. btw where r u going to? cos IMO, i feel that best is not to let bb take those medi... =)

jasobias

Hi
no dr will prescribe u any medication tht causes drowsiness for babies below 1 yr of age.Its dangerous.It can slow down the heart n cause death.
If your child is older than tht dr cld prescribe certain anti histamines which cld cause slight drowsiness .But if its not necessary i think u might just want to skip this.

apollo

Hi
no dr will prescribe u any medication tht causes drowsiness for babies below 1 yr of age.Its dangerous.It can slow down the heart n cause death.
If your child is older than tht dr cld prescribe certain anti histamines which cld cause slight drowsiness .But if its not necessary i think u might just want to skip this.
ya very dangerous.. i think even nw or in future i also dare not ask dr to give ash this.. my fren said her sis saw some parents giving their babies ( or maybe toddlers?) such medi that will cause drowsiness and let them slp thru out the flight.

cutieseah

I not sure abt this. U may want to check with ur pd. btw where r u going to? cos IMO, i feel that best is not to let bb take those medi... =)
hi.. mi gg to Texas.. a 20+ hr flight.. worry tat bb will find it too diff to take it as can onli sit on our seat all the while on plane... bb like to carry and stand. so thinking if there is this kind of medi n bb r allow to take it then y not....

apollo

we brought ds for a short trip to KL when he was 11mth old. aft the plane take off, we let him stand on our lap and play =P prepare lotsa baby biscuits, water and toys. =)

cutieseah

we brought ds for a short trip to KL when he was 11mth old. aft the plane take off, we let him stand on our lap and play =P prepare lotsa baby biscuits, water and toys. =)
but mine is only 5 mth by the time we go... so dunno got wat to entertain her too... any suggestion?

jasobias

i brought my kids on long haul flights to usa since they were abt 4 months old..its a yearly affair
to distract u cld bring ur baby's fav toys ,walk ard the plane with her,sing her a song..just all the things tht u wld do at home
u can just be mentally prepared for the worst(long bouts of crying) but nothing much u can do abt tht too
so take it in your stride

gumbokins

I survived a 20 hour flight to the US with my then 10 mth old daughter.

We did go to our GP, asked him about giving us some drowsy medication before the flight. He said to come back just before our departure..think it was some flu/cold meds that he gave us. (He said that he did the same for his kids too when they went on hols, just so he and his wife could have some quiet time, haha).

It worked pretty well, apart from the fact that the flight experienced quite a bit of turbulence and I had to keep taking her out from the bassinet.

meiteoh

I agree with Jasobias.

Y'know, the last time my friend gave her kiddo medication onboard a long haul flight, it was cough medicine and instead of making her 2 yo sleepy/drowsy (my friend thought no harm, etc), the toddler ended up fussing and awake for the entire flight except the last two hours. My friend was utterly worn out throughout the flight.

The air pressure and what-not can play havoc with what seem to be okay for consumption medication, so seek medical advice from your paed before attempting any self-medication or attempt to get some "rest" during a long haul flight.

cutieseah

i brought my kids on long haul flights to usa since they were abt 4 months old..its a yearly affair
to distract u cld bring ur baby's fav toys ,walk ard the plane with her,sing her a song..just all the things tht u wld do at home
u can just be mentally prepared for the worst(long bouts of crying) but nothing much u can do abt tht too
so take it in your stride
which meani can walk around the flight after it take off?? my hubby was saying to get the medi but dun let my gal take it first. if on plane she start to fuss then maybe let her have it then hope it will let her drowsy n slp..

cutieseah

I agree with Jasobias.

Y'know, the last time my friend gave her kiddo medication onboard a long haul flight, it was cough medicine and instead of making her 2 yo sleepy/drowsy (my friend thought no harm, etc), the toddler ended up fussing and awake for the entire flight except the last two hours. My friend was utterly worn out throughout the flight.

The air pressure and what-not can play havoc with what seem to be okay for consumption medication, so seek medical advice from your paed before attempting any self-medication or attempt to get some "rest" during a long haul flight.
Yup.. think will bring her to pd n ask for this medi or like u say, cough syrup. :)

Frenchkitty

How long is your flight? The longest flight my son took is only 7hours to Melb. he was 8mths old then... apart from crying initially, he drank milk and slept throughout cos we took a night flight which coincided with his bed time.

The next longest was to HK. what was meant to be 3hrs became 5hrs due to delay, further due to the Qantas airplane which engine caught fire. But he was 17mths old then, and had his own seat.. so he watched cartoons, ate flight food and slept.

I think you can pack lots of toys, puzzles, iphone, snacks on yr handcarry.

cutieseah

How long is your flight? The longest flight my son took is only 7hours to Melb. he was 8mths old then... apart from crying initially, he drank milk and slept throughout cos we took a night flight which coincided with his bed time.

The next longest was to HK. what was meant to be 3hrs became 5hrs due to delay, further due to the Qantas airplane which engine caught fire. But he was 17mths old then, and had his own seat.. so he watched cartoons, ate flight food and slept.

I think you can pack lots of toys, puzzles, iphone, snacks on yr handcarry.
my flight is abt 20hrs. bb still so small 5mth onli.. dunno wat can entertain her oso...

Ting

i think 5 mth olds still nap n slp alot dont they?? i also dont agree in giving meds to babies so young just so that the adults hv enough rest time. just pack the usual stuffs u use to entertain her at home.

Frenchkitty

5mths old is the best time to travel! they dont do much but sleep and drink and probably sit up. When they get older and start having a mind of their own, that's when the trouble starts :001_302:

Ting

5mths old is the best time to travel! they dont do much but sleep and drink and probably sit up. When they get older and start having a mind of their own, that's when the trouble starts :001_302:
keke, i agree, i think i will hv more problems with my turning 4 yo pin when we are travelling in jan. :D

apollo

ya.. 5mth old wont crawl ard, keepwanting to walk ard and wont ask "mummy what is this? mummy what is that?" LOL!!!!