Methods to stop breastfeeding

Hi mummies,

Other than taking medication to stop bf, can you share how you wean off or stop pumping milk eventually? How long does it take to completely stop bf and what are the issues encountered while trying to reduce milk supply?
I aim to stop bf Ive oversupply issues so not sure if I can stop bf naturally. Keeps getting breast infection while trying to drag pumping time to 5-6hrly, pls share your experience. :)

adelynn

my friends has taught me this - drag your pumps, if u feel engorgement/discomfort, pump but don't empty your breasts. over time ur body would understand that you dont need to produce so much milk and reduce supply...

diymummy

For me, I dragged my pumps. From every 3 hrs to every 4.. Then when I feel less full at every 4 hrs, I dragged to every 5, then to every 6 and so on. Then it became once a day, then once in 2 days. You'll notice your breast milk will get lesser and lesser. After that you wouldn't feel the urge to pump anymore.

meiteoh

I timed my weaning just before my menses came (about a week or five days before and during) as my supply dips like crazy during my period. So I didn't have to put up with any engorgement at all and by the end of the week, I stopped producing milk already. :p

summerp

For me, I dragged my pumps. From every 3 hrs to every 4.. Then when I feel less full at every 4 hrs, I dragged to every 5, then to every 6 and so on. Then it became once a day, then once in 2 days. You'll notice your breast milk will get lesser and lesser. After that you wouldn't feel the urge to pump anymore.
Thats what i did too! :)

Humpty

Or apply cabbage like crazy? I overheard this being discussed the day I was at the LC's clinic. She mentioned something like applying regularly until the milk disappears. Sounds weird, but the cabbage treatment really works to relieve engorgement. Makes sense for it to help with weaning as well.