Mixing of ebm

iwan2noe

Dear mummies,

I've been expressing milk and storing it for bottle feeding my baby.
However, sometimes the yield I got is less a glass bottle I used to store it(<90ml) my baby us taking around 90ml per feed & it'll last her around 2-3 hours.

As I expressed milk, there tends to be at least a few half/partial filled milk bottles.. My qn is can I mix the currently expressed (fresh)milk with the previous (refrigerated) one to make it to the right vol needed for my baby's feed?

Pls advise. Thanks so much!! :)

Last edited:

Ivy Miao

Dear mummies,

However, sometimes the yield I got is less a glass bottle I used to store it(<90ml) my baby us taking around 90ml per feed & it'll last her around 2-3 hours.

As I expressed milk, there tends to be at least a few half/partial filled milk bottles.. My qn is can I mix the currently expressed (fresh)milk with the previous (refrigerated) one to make it to the right vol needed for my baby's feed?

I do that.. I warm up the one in the fridge and mix em with the current ones to get 120ml for little one. How many ml is ur little one drinking now? and the interval to feed him?

shiyi

if im not wrong.. if u wanna mix them, they muz be the same temperature..
First u put the fresh bottle in the fridge. after that then consolidate both refrigerated bottles together

iwan2noe

I do that.. I warm up the one in the fridge and mix em with the current ones to get 120ml for little one. How many ml is your little one drinking now? and the interval to feed him?
She is less than a mth and is drinking
abt 90ml...

Ivy Miao

She is less than a month and is drinking
about 90ml...
Oh.. Mine is drinking 120ml - 130ml... Always make 90ml for him but he'll cry for more. So ended up that much. And he drinks 2 - 3hrs in day time and 4 - 5hrs at night. Is this ok??? Looks like my little one drinks ALOT??

camom

if im not wrong.. if you wanna mix them, they must be the same temperature..
First you put the fresh bottle in the fridge. after that then consolidate both refrigerated bottles together
That's what I do. I will warm up the consolidated ebm.

Refrigerate for 30 min shld be safe.

shiyi

Oh.. Mine is drinking 120ml - 130ml... Always make 90ml for him but he'll cry for more. So ended up that much. And he drinks 2 - 3hrs in day time and 4 - 5hrs at night. Is this ok??? Looks like my little one drinks ALOT??
wow mayb cos u can produce alot? the most i can produce is 70ml only =\

cmeilim

Dear mummies,

mummies shiyi and camom's methods are correct. refrigerate the current EBM for at least 30min to achieve same temperature as previously pumped EBM, before combining. ivymiao's method may still not get the same temperature for the two batches of EBM because it depends on how long the chilled EBM is warmed up for and what temperature it is warmed up to. EBM of different temperatures should not be mixed together cos of the risk of contamination.

iwan2noe

I do that.. I warm up the one in the fridge and mix em with the current ones to get 120ml for little one. How many ml is your little one drinking now? and the interval to feed him?
mummies shiyi and camom's methods are correct. refrigerate the current EBM for at least 30min to achieve same temperature as previously pumped EBM, before combining. ivymiao's method may still not get the same temperature for the two batches of EBM because it depends on how long the chilled EBM is warmed up for and what temperature it is warmed up to. EBM of different temperatures should not be mixed together cos of the risk of contamination.

How abt mixing ebm that is expressed freshly from the same breast and then mixing the ebm fr the same breast but it was being suckled by the bb at the same time, but is cleaned with a wet tissuebefore continuing to express the milk n mixing it with themilk expressed previously..

Ashbaby

Yes u can mix. When I started expressing my milk, TMC lactation consultant advise I could consolidate the milk to make up 1 feed volume. Make sure the temperature of the EMB is the same before mixing. Hope it helps.