More incentive support for family with special needs child/children

Angelmum

REACH gov - More incentive support for family with special needs child/children

Missed the boat (entry closed), not sure whether we'll be seeing any incentive.
Let's wait till next wk for official announcement.

Posted this:
Having a special needs child is extremely expensive.
Example 1 - Early intervention in govt special school cost $100 - 300/mth whereas a normal child attending nursery or K1/K2 is spending so much lesser.

Example 2 - Primary school fee cost less than $20 whereas govt special school cost above $50/mth.
We were forced to spend more yet our Edusave funds are unable to cover the yearly fees in govt special school. We are relying on the cheapest form of education in Spore yet still find the costs high. The special schools are not doing much as the provide therapies to selected children. Claimed my child is good enough so had to be discharged from therapies - my child is facing poor fine motor skills, as well as speech. If I don't rely on school and therapists, who else can help? Private therapies are so expensive, charging above $100/hour - not everybody is able to afford without feeling the pinch. School claimed not enough therapists - Claimed didn't get enough funding to hire to let all children benefit from therapies

Example 3 - a normal child can buy a stroller cost $50 to a few hundreds depending on their budget.
We were forced to buy special needs stroller (cheapest is Maclaren upright buggy) that cost above $550. Funding only available to household income of $1500-2000/mth. What about those who are caught in between, having household income $4000 each mth? We were left to fight alone and trying hard to survive .... so helpless to be borned in Spore. I believe special needs parents don't mind having 2nd hand items but are we being offered this choice at a much lower cost - 50 to 75% from usual price?

AWARE posted this " - Currently married parents with children under the age of seven are entitled to up to six days of paid childcare leave a year. AWARE would like to see this converted into six days of paid ‘dependent’s care’ leave applicable to any working Singaporean, with ‘dependents’ including older children and parents.

This, AWARE believes, would be a more equitable policy as it acknowledges the needs of working Singaporeans, whether married or single, who have to care for aged parents or dependent siblings. Furthermore, children above seven years old will still need the care of their parents."

I like this idea of Dependent's Leave. I had not applied childcare leave before as my child was already 7 yrs old when I re-joined the workforce. I had to take annual leave to attend Parent's meeting, bring her to KK hospital for regular reviews, attend therapies (previously, too costly/unaffordable), child falls sick, check on maid/child's progress in school, etc.

Nobody had looked into our plight, understand our concerns nor tried to extend some extra help eg childcare leave to us. Hope this time, it will be given to household with disability. A simple nod makes us feel we are not forgot by Spore govt.

It would be great if the levy for our domestic helper can be further slashed. We were not offered a childcare centre to place our children with multiple disabilities. We didn't employ a maid to show off, it is a necessity so that we can work in order to cope with Spore high costs of living. Having a special needs child is already traumatizing, pls don't make our lives more miserable.

Pls give us an easier pathway to survive here!

Last edited:

faith777

Angelmum, so confirm government has granted 6 days childcare leave for us who have special needs child? Need to make sure and tell my husband to inform his bosses about this...

Angelmum

Angelmum, so confirm government has granted 6 days childcare leave for us who have special needs child? Need to make sure and tell my husband to inform his bosses about this...
erm ... I'm not powerful enough to get govt grant us 6 days childcare leave .... so disappointed!
Means my online post and private feedback/emails to CEL, MCYS and ministers were in the wastebin.
MCYS no reply. Minister arrowed CEL to assist on my enquiry but they said childcare leave not in their territory... same, my request to build another childcare centre similiar to AWWA so that we need not rely on maids also went fruitless.

Angelmum

Minister for Community Development, Youth and Sports Dr Vivian Balakrishnan has assured that the lack of money for low-income families with special needs children will not impede the development of their offspring. The Ministry of Education had earlier announced the inclusion of Special Education school students under its financial assistance scheme.

Minister also noted that every Singaporean child in the Early Intervention Programme for Infants and Children (EIPIC) receives a $300 subsidy. In addition, low-income families will receive additional subsidies of up to $600 and support from voluntary welfare organisations (VWOs). Over the next four years, seven new EIPIC centres will be built, boosting the total capacity to 2,700 places.

What more can be done to provide greater support for children with special needs?

In my opinion, support still lacking. The goodies they announced didn't benefit me. My simple request to extend 6 days childcare leave to special needs parents with child above 6 was also turned down.

I had wanted more special needs subsidies (accross the board) but govt focused on early intervention ... at least somebody gets extra $300 but that person is definitely not me!

I decode as govt didn't look at ways to help middle-class. Govt actually encouraging people dont work so as to qualify for their goodies target at low-income. Think I must stop working ... this time, I think I'll be able to get subsidy since they've increased the income cap. I also got a valid reason for not working, ie MOM over protected maids and agencies, thus, better for me to stay home them to keep offering these people money yet don't get quality output + I dont earn that much, most of my salary used to feed govt, maid and agency , makes more money-sense to stay home.

Last edited:

bitsweetz

Read your thread, you remind me of myself years ago. I have an autistic boy now aged ten and I totally feel your pain and frustrations. Hand in there, some how things work out.

bitsweetz

The $300 subsidy is just for EIPIC? What abt kids beyond that?
For eg. Pathlight costs us $500/mth for school fees alone, n school bus fees ard $250/mth, both fees payable during school holidays even..why is Pathlight not subsidised? My boy is in mainstream now..but i would put him back in Pathlight anytime if the fees were lowered, at least he never complained abt bullying while he was there..

Angelmum

Read your thread, you remind me of myself years ago. I have an autistic boy now aged ten and I totally feel your pain and frustrations. Hand in there, some how things work out.

bitsweetz

Hi!

so you've given up hope or 'attained cool mind'?
Got to force myself hang on cos I have a girl who's really my main worry. Maybe women worries more cos tend to look beyond and want to plan a smoother future rather then take one step at a time.

This evening, there was a SPD charity show where the hosts kept asking people to donate so that those SPD beneficiaries need not worry as they'll be taken care of ... you believe?
The number fortunate enough to receive help is small in relation to the overall total of individuals in SPD. Some cried worried as they are aging and cant stop worrying for their children if pass on. Having disabilities are signals to life sentence for parents, given that their children could expect to live as long as the rest of us.

Last edited:

Angelmum

The $300 subsidy is just for EIPIC? What about kids beyond that?
The article I read indicated only for EIPIC.
TODAYonline | Singapore | Special needs children to get more support (click link)

I just found this "The MCYS will also build a new day activity centre and a new home for the disabled by 2013. " ahh so my request got thru? But must tahan till 2013 ... don't know where it will be built. Hope near Rainbow YPS or my place. Thought I read on hardcopy TODAY this day activity centre meant for elderly ... must go surf further.

Full article: Updated 05:05 PM Mar 11, 2011 (click link)

SINGAPORE - For low-income families with children with special needs, the lack of money will not impede the development of their offspring.

This was the assurance by Minister for Community Development, Youth and Sports Vivian Balakrishnan yesterday in response to Nominated Member of Parliament Laurence Wee's point that such families require "special attention" and more financial aid in the development of their children.

The Ministry of Education had earlier announced the inclusion of Special Education school students under its financial assistance scheme.

Dr Balakrishnan also pointed out that every Singaporean child in the Early Intervention Programme for Infants and Children (EIPIC) receives a S$300 subsidy. Also, low-income families receive additional means-tested subsidies from the Government of up to S$600 and support from voluntary welfare organisations (VWOs), he added.

Said Dr Balakrishnan: "This allows me to say, hand over heart, that for the low-income families with disabled children, money is not the limiting factor."

The number of EIPIC centres has increased to 13 from 10 in 2007, with the number of places going up from 1,400 to about 2,000. Over the next four years, seven new EIPIC centres will be built, which would increase the total capacity to 2,700 places. For older children, the Ministry of Education has extended the age limit for Special Education to 21 years. From this year, SPED students will start their vocational education from the age of 13.

Responding to Jalan Besar GRC MP Denise Phua's suggestion to extend basic health insurance coverage to those born with congenital diseases, Dr Balakrishnan said the Ministry of Health is reviewing this.

The MCYS will also build a new day activity centre and a new home for the disabled by 2013. The S$1 billion Community Silver Trust, which was unveiled during the Budget on Feb 18, will be used to support VWOs looking to provide innovative services for the disabled elderly.

Said Dr Balakrishnan: "I expect that we will see new models of group homes, new concepts of community-based care facilities, and the piloting of new technology which hopefully can improve care and lower costs." (Corrected 04:58 PM Mar 11, 2011)

Last edited:

Angelmum

The $300 subsidy is just for EIPIC? What abt kids beyond that?
SPEECH BY DR VIVIAN BALAKRISHNAN, MINISTER FOR COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT, YOUTH AND SPORTS, AT COMMITTEE OF SUPPLY 2011 - OPENING SPEECH, 08 MARCH 2011, 12:00 PM AT PARLIAMENT HOUSE (click link)

Young Children
Point 9 Let me now move on to young children. Dr Lily Neo has spoken about the need for holistic and early support for children in need. And I agree with her. The key to social mobility is to work with young children, in particular, their education. We had a long debate yesterday at the Ministry of Education’s COS session. But today, I want to remind members that my Ministry has been investing considerably in early childhood education to make sure it is affordable, of high quality and accessible to all. That is why we raised the income caps for the Kindergarten Financial Assistance Scheme (KiFAS) and the Centre-based Financial Assistance Scheme for Childcare (CFAC), in order to benefit more children. In addition to having a larger group of children eligible, we have also made adjustments to the quantum. In this term of Parliament, the quantum of subsidies for both schemes has increased significantly. For instance, for the lowest income tier, we raised the maximum CFAC subsidies from $300 to $340; this is over and above the $300 universal subsidy. So, in other words, the lowest-income family gets $340 every month available for childcare. For KiFAS, members of the House would be familiar that we raised it in this term of Parliament from $65 a month to $108 a month.

(B2) Top Up to School Advisory Committees/ School Management Committees Fund and SPED School Boards [$5 million]

The Government will provide a one-off top-up of $4.7 million to School Advisory Committees’ and School Management Committees’ funds. Each school will receive between $10,000 and $15,000, enough to cover about half of what they spend each year to help needy Singaporean students. The VWO-run Special Education (SPED) schools, will also be given an average of $15,000 per school to help needy Singaporean students.

(C2) Ministry of Education Financial Assistance Scheme for SPED Schools (click link)

The Government will extend the Ministry of Education Financial Assistance Scheme to pupils from lower-income households in the VWO-run Special Education (SPED) schools. It will mean that SPED students from these families will be fully subsidised for their school fees, uniforms, and textbooks, and receive a 75% subsidy on their examination fees.

Ok, I can confirm my/our frustrations .... child beyond not entitled to anything unless you get yourself in the low-income category ...:9898::wemad: ... as indicated in yesterday's 05:20 PM post. That's why I've indicated goodies not given across the board - all special needs students. They only zoomed into EIPIC!

I totally agree early intervention is a crucial step towards a higher degree of independence but what about the rest, those graduated from EIPIC? Shouldn't the older children continue the program and deserve relevant support & subsidies? Why can't we have more Edusave top up/funds so that we can sign up for private therapies as the govt special schools are UNwilling to provide adequately?? Instead of pumping funds into the schools (can't see the benefit on us), let parents have more funds in our children's Edusave account. Let us decide what's best for our children!

Last edited:

kumkum01

HI guys......According to me these are more informative post in this site...thanks for nice sharing in here...

regards,,
kumkum