mummies with babies with GERD (reflux)

uddermummy

Hi epicurean, happy new year to you, Seb and all your loved ones!

My girl can shake hands with Seb; she loves to burrow into my armpits when she's sleeping. :001_302:

Seb is one cool dude! That scene of him sighing must have been really cute! :tlaugh:

You must be gearing up for the start of the new term at work. :p Hope that your workload will be lighter this year, and that your gong gong sup will be more enlightened!

epicurean

Hi uddermummy,

Sorry, it took me a while to resurface coz these past few nights, Seb turned his day-night routine upside-down. Been sleeping thru'out the day and being wide-eyed & wanting to play at night. At 2-3am, he's wide awake with his 'game on, let's play' expression while I stare blearily at him hahaha. I've a week to get his routine back to normal before I start work next Monday! Btw my gong gong sup got demoted (there's justice in the world after all, eh?) so got new sup who's better. Yay!

Our arm-pit burrowers .... it's heart-warming that they like our unvarnished smell so much :tlaugh:

My apologies that we didn't get to meet during the hols coz Seb was tussling with his ulcer & then fevers. I still hope that we'll get to meet up in the new year :001_302:

PS. My bro's back with the 'Baby Minds' book ... looking fwd to reading it!

uddermummy

hi epicurean, oh dear, it must be really tiring to have to amuse Seb in the wee hours of the morning! Are his ulcers still acting up?

What goes around comes around. Karma, retribution, what-not, finally came around and bit your sup in the butt. *cue evil laughter*

Things have been a wee bit tense at home recently, due to the issue of the second kid that I'm supposed to have like, soon. My pils have been hinting a lot of things recently; mainly, that i should go back to work and leave dd in their care, and that i should get knocked up soon.

They are so intent on having a grandson; you should see how their faces fell when they realised that oops, I was having a girl. :nah:

I'm quite against the idea of having another one because they will def favour the boy over the girl. And pple being pple, I don't think they will be any more sympathetic or helpful the second time round, even if the bb has reflux, and i get hit by postnatal depression again.

epicurean

uddermummy,

Seb's ulcer is much better now ... his physio found him a NUK bottle nipple that works well for his jaw development plus avoids contact with the ulcer. so it's healing nicely. But he has developed a habit of grinding his teeth when he's upset/angry and occasionally the tip of the ulcer bleeds coz of that action. His dentist explained that the teeth grinding is likely due to his hypertone which extends to his jaw & facial muscles ... which makes sense ... when he's upset, he stiffens and now that stiffening has extended to those muscles. We try to give him a chew toy and scramble doubly fast to resolve whatever that's making him upset or angry.

Yeah, it's been pretty tiring the past week. At one point, Seb was sleeping 7 hours straight at night ... such a blissful period that was!

Deciding on having a second child is a very personal, private decision bet you & hubby ... likewise the decision about staying home and/or working. PILs should butt out ... besides, in this day & age, they're still obsessing over gender? Every child is a blessing! And Eva is such a charmer :red:

Hubby & I came to the conclusion that his parents want a trophy grandchild whom they can show off to relatives & friends and play with. That's why they don't want Seb in their lives (he's too much trouble to take care of and they're always looking for ways to outsource him) ... keep asking us to 'fix' him by doing temple rituals & TCM. I told them he's a baptised Catholic, so back off and that he can't take TCM med which could interact with his seizure & other meds that are constantly in his system. Acupuncture is out, given the severity of his hypertone ... his muscles can be so tight & stiff that we don't trust anyone to stick needles correctly into the relevant acu-points. Of coz they don't listen to our logic and still continuing to harp about that *rolls eyes* :nah:

I think our PILs track records speak for themselves. I doubt mine will be that helpful the second time round either. For now, for the life of me, I don't know how to manage looking after Seb and no.2 so I told hubby we better KIV plans for no.2 until Seb is more stable.

uddermummy

oh dear, what usually makes Seb upset? :(

I've also been trying to get dd into a routine, and am now reading the no-cry sleep solution. Dd's sleeping hours have been rather erratic recently, and she's still intent on crawling around and sitting up instead of sleeping. :p

Will tell you if i'm successful... In the meantime, hang on dear! *hugs*

Yup, i think my pils want a trophy male grandchild. :( They do seem to dote on dd tho, but a recent diarrhoea scare when they fed dd table foods without asking us made me rethink my decision of putting dd in their care. I also wonder if other caretakers will be able to love dd unconditionally, cos she can be really fussy.

But your pils really win hands down liaoo.... No worries though, Seb has so much love from you and your family that he's seriously not missing out on much from your pils.He's got daddy and mummy to love and play with him, ahmah to regale him in teochew of happenings in the market, and ahgong to let him sit on his lap in the evenings. Seb doesn't need your pils!:Dancing_wub:

epicurean

Oh, please tell me if you're successful with the sleep routine for Eva and share some tips. I'm trying to adjust Seb's day-night sleep patterns back into more normal, sane hours! In the wee hours of the morning, he's so perky, wants to sit on my lap & look around. I tell him it's international sleeping time (and definitely not play time!) and do the stuff that signal his usual sleep routine ... he would whine (yes, whine, not cry or scream) until I relent & put him back on my lap.

About him getting upset, it's the usual suspects - trapped air bubbles in his tummy that he's trying to burp or fart out, wet or dirty diaper, wanting to be carried in a certain position or rocked or to lie down or sit, wanting to drink water or milk or to purge his phlegm (like those ah peks at coffeeshops). Anyway I'm going to check with his dentist at next visit about his teeth grinding and see if there's anything I can do about it.

That's the thing about finding a suitable caregiver ... to find someone whom we trust to always be patient with our kids, follow instructions and not to simply do anything 'experimental' esp in terms of diet. Do you have any relatives (eg. aunts or cousins) who can help?

Thanks for your affirmations, dear :) Life has certainly been more peaceful and productive with pils being out of the picture. We're impatiently waiting for our flat to be ready so that our little family can stay together under one roof. The commuting is driving my hubby nuts!

Btw when your gal's next appt with Dr Aw? Seb's appt is on 19 Jan. Maybe we'll get to bump into each other in the waiting area!

uddermummy

actually, the book is v similar to other advocates of the no-crying sleep solution. I guess the only thing that is slightly different is the use of a detailed log book. :p So far, I've been too lazy and tired to really carry out the suggestions.

Hmmmm.... Could the fact that you're on holiday and had more time to spend with him contributed to his changed routine? I think the fact that my hubby had more time and we went out more disrupted dd's routine.

Seb is like dd, both know how to pull at our heartstrings to get what they want! :001_302:

I've got my aunt who helped me out during my confinement, but she's not in good health now and lives too far away. :(

Congrats! Where's your new flat? Is your mum going to help you out?

Aiyahhh, I just saw Dr Aw yesterday. She must have been really busy cos she seems to have lost weight. :p

Let's meet up when you've got a lull period in your schedule?

Last edited:

polopolo

Hi mummies, it is the first time reading n posting for this thread. My son, Ayden, has reflux n i think his is rather bad. He was hospitalised in ICU 2 weeks after he was born. He simply cun keep his food down. He was super dehydrated when he was admitted......

He had x-ray, doc says the sphinta is not matured yet as it couldn't close to prevent food from flowing back. His medication is Motillium. Now he is 4 months old already!!! Hehe!!! Everything is so much better now.... Thank god...

It hasn't been easy for him n for us, parents. We are extremely careful when it comes to feeding. Once in a while, he still vomits but not merlion le....

uddermummy

hi polopolo, it's good to hear that your boy's reflux is getting better!

My girl's reflux has also improved. She's on omeprazole, and we've cut her dose to once a day. Her pd has given the go ahead to totally wean her off the med. We've tried to cut down her dose more than twice, but always had to up it again when she starts getting cranky.

So there's hope for bbs with reflux!

KJ mummy

Hi

My son has GERD when he was younger. He was on Ome (6ml 2 * a day) for about a few months until the last check up when his gastro doc switched the medication from Ome to renatidin (pardon me for the wrong spelling) - another medication for reflux but milder type when his reflux has improved. So far so good after he has switched to this milder medication. It was a relief to us too in terms of financial cos his Ome medication can easily cost over $200 for a month's supply! The current milder medication is less costly. Thank God!

According to the gastro doc, Ome is a very good medicine to treat severe reflux and a patient will not suffer any side effects even when on Ome for a long period of time. Reflux will improve too when the baby starts on semi solid food.

Epicurean, my son has been waking up a few times at night for the past 2 weeks too. It has been very tiring for me esp when he has not been like this for some time and my body has already adjusted back to the "normal" sleeping hours :001_302:.

Before all these waking up, he was able to sleep thru from 10pm all the way to 7 am without waking up for milk. Hmmm..dont know what is the cause of him keep waking up nowadays. I suspect is due to his teething cos I saw that there are 2 white stuffs appearing on his upper gum. He has 2 teeth on his lower gum already. He did not cry after he woke up at night but kept making noises as if like"calling" me to wake up and carry him :eek:15:.

uddermummy

hi kjmummy, good that your son's reflux is getting better!

I suspect that my girl is waking up because of teething as well. :( Cos there are like white bumps waiting to break through her gums.

epicurean

KJ mummy,

Seb is also on Ranitidine (also known as Zantac). It tastes awful ... I tried it once *sheepish* and found out it's bitter & sharp-tasting but Seb always settles after taking his usual dosage. He either falls asleep or wants to sit on someone's lap, calm & happy. I'm just thankful that it has worked in managing his GERD since he was started on it.

I'm so so envious about your boy sleeping from 10pm to 7am. Up to now, Seb has only slept thru the night around twice. Most of the time, he sleeps for 4+ hours straight and then he's up for a feed. Sometimes he doesn't want to feed but is woken by his hypertone so I try to relax, soften & pacify him back to sleep. Anyway, I'm resigned to being perpetually sleep-deprived and going to work in that condition. All I can say is thank goodness for Oldtown coffee! :Dancing_tongue:

epicurean

uddermummy,

I tried some tips from the Baby Whisperer book ... some helped (like repeating the same pre-sleep routine & motions) but the main idea about cluster-feeding can't be applied coz Seb's tummy can't take consecutive feeds that are too close to each other. Wah, need to do detailed log book? That could be beyond my cognitive ability coz I'm so zombie'fied! :mtongue:

Seb has been sleeping pretty ok during the holiday period except for those bouts of fever. I try not to take things too personally but the other night I asked him if it was coz he knows I'll be started work next week. He just looked at me wide-eyed ... I could almost hear he going "heheheh" under his breath!

Our new flat is at Toa Payoh, the DBSS project, The Peak. Only ready in 2012 so need to be so very patient. Yeah, my mum will still be helping me then ... I'll either bring Seb & maid over to her place or she'll come over.

It's a pity that your aunt can't help you :(

Yeah, Dr Aw is really busy. Our appt got pushed back by a week coz she's going for overseas conference. As GI paed, she shouldn't have weights issues, rite?? :p

Ok, I'll keep an eye out for lull periods plus make sure Seb doesn't fall sick! So we can finally have a chance to meet up & gossip about our gerdlings :tlaugh:

uddermummy

epicurean, yeah, i'm putting off the suggestions from the book cos of the detailed logbook. Too lazy and tired to do it! El cheapo me actually did a quick scan of the baby whisperer after you recommended the book. The no-cry sleep solution also talks about routines, but the baby whisperer is better in that it actually tells you what signs to look out for when bb is sleepy.

Seb is one smart bb! He's prob trying to maximise his time with you! :tlaugh:

Whenever dd can't sleep, I try to cheer up by telling myself she just wants to see more of me! Heehee. But when I'm really tired, I'll be like frowning at her and asking her v sternly why she's not letting me sleep. The chili padi that she is, she will actually retort back by snorting at me every time i chide her. What have i got myself into?*wipes sweat off brows*

The peak is nice! But your poor hubby has to commute for another 2 years. :p

Yes, yes, let's meet up! This thread is now like our (not so private) chatroom. :001_302:

epicurean

uddermummy,

Yeah, the Baby Whisperer book is handy about interpreting Seb's cues. Sometimes he does that 7-mile stare when he's about nod off ... very funny! I would then stroke his forehead & head and somehow that gets him to fall asleep. But if he's not doing that stare, the stroking doesn't work :err: Anyway, getting him to sleep is not a problem ... it's getting him to sleep long long, that's my crusade :shyxxx:

Wooo, your gal's habit of snorting retorts back to you doesn't bode well for her teenage years :p Strong-willed, articulate chilli paid ...

I really like The Peak! Location is so central .... easy to get to wherever I need to bring Seb to. Hubby is really quite poor thing .... he so sian of commuting but what to do ...

Pai seh, rite? We're kinda monopolising this chat thread ... hahahah. Btw, you mentioned wanting to see pic of Seb's scowling during exercise ... here it is! The scowling & smiling pics were taken within the same hour ... during & after physio. Talk about Dr Jekyll & Mr Hyde!

epicurean

wahahaha! So cute! Seb looks really fierce! *hides in one corner* Must be his bushy eyebrows!:001_302:
Hahahah ... I think he probably wants to intimidate people with his frown but I just find it hilarious!

Btw has your dd put on weight at her latest check-up with Dr Aw? Hopefully that's one worry taken off your mind.

uddermummy

yup, she did. She put on a grand total of 300g. :( Sigh!

I know she's doing fine, and she's prob never going to be a baba baby. But sometimes I still feel stressed out by comments that she's small for her size, especially from family members. :nah: Doesn't matter if we keep telling them that she gets her weight checked by a pd every month, and the pd is happy with her progress.

The prob is, dd's height gain is now even slower than her weight gain. Aiyohh, i feed her as much as I can, but her stomach is so small, she actually vomitted 4x the day before yesterday cos i fed her from both breasts 2 hours after her dinner. :( She was like puking at least 500ml of stuff, and we were so freaked out that we rushed her to a & e.

epicurean

uddermummy,

I know putting on 300g seems like a puny matter for other babies but I'm glad that Eva has managed to do that, seeing how she's been grappling with weight issues. Yes it's excruciatingly frustrating, annoying and discouraging when people keep passing comments about her size and probably keep telling you what to do instead of taking the time and making the effort to understand the context and the issues she has to deal with on a daily basis.

The common perception is the chubbier the better without considering the variables that apply to different babies & children. The capacity of our gerdlings' tummies increases slowly, gradually and I get reminded of that when I get too ambitious and attempt to increase Seb's feed amount too quickly ... and out comes the vom. Your gal is ok after being brought to A&E?

She may be smaller in size and petite but the MOST important thing is that she's healthy and happy :) And she's definitely that with her bo geh smile, reduced dosage of ome, crawling around and being a firecracker at talking back to mummy! It's slow & steady for her weight gain and never forget that you're doing an absolutely great job with her and her gerd-related challenges. People who don't understand can go fly kite!

uddermummy

thanks epicurean! I hereby appoint you my personal cheerleader on mummysg! :tlaugh:

Yup, dd's better now. But she was so tired and listless on friday that we were so freaked out. And I felt so guilty and bad for overfeeding her. :(

I think I should get ready a lot of kites for the coming new year! Hahahaha!