mummies with babies with GERD (reflux)

epicurean

Ok, I'll start hunting for cutesy outfits & matching pom-poms :mtongue:

Important thing is that she's fine now. I know ... maternal guilt always is quick to surface whenever anything happens to our kids. But you also need to pat yourself on the back when things go well, for making the right judgment call :)

Yeah, I also need to buy kites in bulk with the coming CNY ... I can see all the comments coming my way too .... *rolls eyes* I should start training Seb to aim his vom at those people who make insensitive, nonsensical & irritating comments :red: That could add an interesting dimension to the conversation, eh?

uddermummy

You are hilarious! Chatting with you always makes my day! :tlaugh:

That's a good idea! Will also make sure dd aims her vomit at irritating know-it-all smart alecks! Wahahaha!

BTW, am starting my masters again, and judging by the amt of notes that i have to read, don't think i'll be able to log into mummysg so often anymore.

How's the new year at work?

We'll take our chatting offline?

epicurean

Thanks, dear :) I need to maintain my sense of humour and fight back with Seb's help coz otherwise those comments will drive me up the wall *evil chuckles*

I take my hat off to you ... that you're able to balance caring for dd & tackling your masters. Yep, let's take chatting offline ... you'll have your hands full, literally & metaphorically!

So far work has been ok :) A bit tiring coz adjusting to work hours. Full workload hasn't come in yet so got time to acclimatise. :001_302:

uddermummy

Heeheehee... I'm supposed to be starting on my notes, but I've yet to overcome my inertia. :p

Yah, I also need to acclimatise so that i can get used to reading all those boring research studies again. :001_302:

Use your sense of humour to deflect those evil energy away from seb and your family! I think God gave us a sense of humour to keep our chins up in difficult times. If you can't beat them, well, laugh at them! :)

epicurean

Hahaha you sound exactly like a friend of mine who has taken PDL to finish her thesis after extending the deadline a few times coz bogged down by work. She wants to get it over & done with but still plodding along, battling inertia. Jia you, ok? :Dancing_wub:

Yeah, need to hang on to my sense of humour to maintain my sanity. I can just envision the conversation during cny:

Nosy relative: What, Seb still cannot .... Why are you not doing ....? You should ..... so that he can .... (Seb hits nosy bull's eye with vom)
Me: Hey his vom goes quite well with your NEW cny dress. Btw you were saying something about Seb?
Tenaciously nosy relative: Yes, I was telling you that you should .... (Seb obliges with another accurate round of vom)
Me: I think you might want to clean up before the vom sets in and become a permanent pattern on your dress. Seb, you didn't get any vom on yourself? Oh, you clever clever boy! *big kiss*

Hahaha ... hubby agrees with the strategy ... he wants to coin some military sounding codename for it!

Btw, I'm so proud of Seb :tlaugh: He had to do a blood test a few days ago for his neuro to check on the level of his seizure med in his blood before medical review next week. When the nurse inserted needle with tube into the vein in his hand, he didn't cry, fuss, stiffen or go into hypertone. I was cuddling & stroking him ... he was whimpering softly which I think he's perfectly entitled to doing! Hubby was outside procedure room coz he couldn't take the sight of the nurses taking Seb's blood ... heart pain. Seb didn't cry at all thru'out the whole process and of coz he was much happier after the whole thing was over and the plaster was placed on his hand like a badge of some sorts :001_302:

uddermummy

Nosy relative: What, Seb still cannot .... Why are you not doing ....? You should ..... so that he can .... (Seb hits nosy bull's eye with vom)
Me: Hey his vom goes quite well with your NEW cny dress. Btw you were saying something about Seb?
Tenaciously nosy relative: Yes, I was telling you that you should .... (Seb obliges with another accurate round of vom)
Me: I think you might want to clean up before the vom sets in and become a permanent pattern on your dress. Seb, you didn't get any vom on yourself? Oh, you clever clever boy! *big kiss*

:001_302:
ROTFL! If this ever happens, you should catch it on video and post it on youtube! This will definitely become the viral video of the month, if not year! hahahaha.

Btw, I'm so proud of Seb :tlaugh: He had to do a blood test a few days ago for his neuro to check on the level of his seizure med in his blood before medical review next week. When the nurse inserted needle with tube into the vein in his hand, he didn't cry, fuss, stiffen or go into hypertone. I was cuddling & stroking him ... he was whimpering softly which I think he's perfectly entitled to doing! Hubby was outside procedure room coz he couldn't take the sight of the nurses taking Seb's blood ... heart pain. Seb didn't cry at all thru'out the whole process and of coz he was much happier after the whole thing was over and the plaster was placed on his hand like a badge of some sorts :001_302:
Brave Seb! Give Seb a pat on the back from auntie uddermummy!

But the part about him whimpering really makes my heart ache! It's really heartwrenching when we have to watch our babies go through all these invasive measures. :(

epicurean

Ok I'll start working with Seb on his target-shooting practice :001_302: *rubs hands in glee* Those who kena can take it like some kinda blessing from Seb!

Yeah he was so brave when the nurse was extracting blood from him. And it is traumatic for us parents to see. During a previous hospital stay, he had to be suctioned using the machine and had a plug inserted into a vein in his foot ... the way he was crying made me wanna cry too. We're seeing Dr Aw tomorrow ... hopefully she says no need for scan or pH probe.

uddermummy

During the coming CNY, maybe you could take pics of the more irritating relatives and let Seb practise on their pics for the rest of the year? :001_302:

my next appt with dr aw is on 11/2, at 3.55pm. Possible for you to see if you can get an appointment on that day too? :p

Stan

yup, she did. She put on a grand total of 300g. :( Sigh!

I know she's doing fine, and she's prob never going to be a baba baby. But sometimes I still feel stressed out by comments that she's small for her size, especially from family members. :nah: Doesn't matter if we keep telling them that she gets her weight checked by a pediatrician every month, and the pediatrician is happy with her progress.

The prob is, dear daughter's height gain is now even slower than her weight gain. Aiyohh, i feed her as much as I can, but her stomach is so small, she actually vomitted 4x the day before yesterday cos i fed her from both breasts 2 hours after her dinner. :( She was like puking at least 500ml of stuff, and we were so freaked out that we rushed her to a & e.
Oh dear, hope your DD is better now...

yup, a lot of pple comment like how little milk my DD drinks too... arrghh... so stupid me kept forcing her to drink milk and sometimes she pukes and i tot she has mild reflux...how dense can i get??... sigh... i am a horrible mummy!
Now i dont anymore! As long she is happy and her PD is happy with her growth, i am going to throw whatever charts out of the window! Not chubby is good right? Too Chubby EQUALS to FAT!

Last edited:

Angelmum

Hahaha
:tlaugh:

That's 1 gd n innocent way :001_302:

uddermummy

Oh dear, hope your dear daughter is better now...

yup, a lot of pple comment like how little milk my dear daughter drinks too... arrghh... so stupid me kept forcing her to drink milk and sometimes she pukes and i thought she has mild reflux...how dense can i get??... sigh... i am a horrible mummy!
Now i dont anymore! As long she is happy and her pediatrician is happy with her growth, i am going to throw whatever charts out of the window! Not chubby is good right? Too Chubby EQUALS to FAT!

Think of it this way, our darlings will prob never have to join TAF club in school!:001_302:

epicurean

During the coming CNY, maybe you could take pics of the more irritating relatives and let Seb practise on their pics for the rest of the year? :001_302:

my next appt with dr aw is on 11/2, at 3.55pm. Possible for you to see if you can get an appointment on that day too? :p
uddermummy,

Yeah! That's kinda like the 'relative' equivalent of using horrid ex-boyfriends' pics for dartboard practice :mtongue:

We're like 2 ships that keep passing by each other in the night ... coz Dr Aw sees Seb once every 3 months so it looks like we may only get to bump into each other outside Clinic A many moons from now!

uddermummy

uddermummy,

Yeah! That's kinda like the 'relative' equivalent of using horrid ex-boyfriends' pics for dartboard practice :mtongue:

We're like 2 ships that keep passing by each other in the night ... coz Dr Aw sees Seb once every 3 months so it looks like we may only get to bump into each other outside Clinic A many moons from now!
Aiyohh, like that how? Can I book you in advance for the march hols? :p

epicurean

uddermummy,

Aiya, 11 Feb is a Thursday and Seb has physio every Thurs :err: Dr Aw wants to see him in 3-4 weeks' time coz of feeding issues. He of the ferocious hair hasn't been wanting to feed regularly ... he would fight his bottle, refusing to latch on. When I remove it, he would be happy & quiet. It's been like that for some feeds for more than a week.

So I've been advised to stretch the interval between feeds for a week and see what happens. If no improvement, frequency of zantac is to be increased to 3 times. If still no improvement, she wants to consider switching him over to ome. We've been scratching our heads over the cause of his changed appetite - he's not sick, his throat is fine, his tummy & gut are not bloated or distended. So, methodical as she is, Dr Aw gave us this game plan.

uddermummy

dd has another appointment at nuh on 1/2, monday for some other issues. Don't suppose you'll be there? Seb's physio isn't at nuh?

Could Seb's lack of appetite be due to teething pains? But fighting the bottle sounds like a symptom of GERD. :( How's his weight gain?

epicurean

It doesn't seem like teething pains coz most of his teeth are out and when he was teething, he was drinking like his usual voracious self. Dr Aw pointed out that coz he's not mobile like normal kids, his energy requirements may not be that high so he could be stretching his feeds. I certainly hope so coz not keen on increasing his med dosage. Wah, trying to get him to drink when he's fighting the bottle is tiring ... he's happy as a clam when we give up. I tell hubby that Seb gets his stubborn streak from him!

Not much weight gain ... he's now 9.9kg (& 77 cm), up 200g from last weigh-in 3 months ago. He was sick for quite a while in Dec so that would have taken a toll on his weight. Yeah, the bottle-fighting does appear to be GERD-like behaviour ... need to confirm the suspicion.

Nope, his Thur physio session is outside at private clinic. Sorry, 1 Feb is too early for him to see Dr Aw :( Let me see how else to work out the scheduling for optimal opportunities to bump into each other :001_302:

uddermummy

Hmmm, then again, like Dr Aw said, it could v prob be because his caloric intake is slowly decreasing, cos usually bbs' intake of food slows down after the first year...

We'll persevere to make sure that we'll bump into each other at nuh, or somewhere else! Hee...:001_302:

epicurean

Hmmm, then again, like Dr Aw said, it could very prob be because his caloric intake is slowly decreasing, cos usually bbs' intake of food slows down after the first year...

We'll persevere to make sure that we'll bump into each other at nuh, or somewhere else! Hee...:001_302:
uddermummy,

So far Seb's taking well to the 3.5 hourly feeds :) He doesn't fight the bottle the way he did previously ... I feel like such a goondu mummy for not realising that he's trying to stretch his feeds! That I kept following his feed schedule religiously :shyxxx:

Yeah, must persevere to meet somewhere, somehow :001_302: I'll see how Seb's feeds go and check in with Dr Aw about when she wants to see him. Will try to conspire to match your appt date :Dancing_tongue:

uddermummy

Good to hear that Seb just wanted to delay his meals! aiyohh, please lahh, not goondu lahhh. It happens to most mummies a lot of times. :001_302:

You are def better than me. I, for one, am very good at forcing dd to drink and sleep when she doesn't want to, and not letting her when she wants to. I'm definitely getting worse and worse at reading her signs. :shyxxx:

Am down to 2ml of ome once a day. Wonder if it's possible to totally cut it out cos dd does seem to be getting fussier tho. :(