mummies with babies with GERD (reflux)

epicurean

Dearie, I think we both forgot something ... that our darlings' patterns change as they grow :wong19: Their cues & signals change but we keep reading them the same way! *pat pat* Add in their strong-willed nature and we're often left scratching our heads :err:

Are you aiming for complete removal of ome or switch over to zantac? If your dd appears to need the help of med to keep acid in check, do you want to consider the 2nd option? Is there a 'cut-off dosage' for ome to facilitate the switch over?

uddermummy

Both Dr Aw and I are actually aiming for the complete stop in medication. If that's not possible, then I'm open to using Zantec.

I read that Zantec can be used on an ad hoc basis, is that true?

epicurean

I read that Zantec can be used on an ad hoc basis, is that true?
It would be absolutely wonderful to get your dd completely off ome. I doubt Seb could be off Zantac, at least not for the next few months. So far, whenever he puts on weight, I need to keep pace with the dose coz otherwise he starts experiencing pain & arching his back.

Not sure about ad hoc use of the med. It works best for Seb on 12-hourly interval. Sorry, can't be of help :embarrassed:

uddermummy

think will try reducing her dose this week. She seems to be quite okay with the reduced dose.

How's Seb? Is he sleeping well at night, or is his circadian cycle still confused? :p

epicurean

Good luck, dear! Hope your dd stays happy & cheery on reduced dose. Happy baby makes for happy, relaxed household :001_302:

Seb's been good :tlaugh: He seems to have sorted out his circadian cycle by himself, thankfully! Been sleeping for longer stretches (6-8 hours) past 2 weeks. Quite an achievement for him, considering how he would be up for the day after 3-4 hours of sleep at night! I"m keeping fingers, toes & eyes crossed that he continues this very nice pattern.

He's also been having plenty of happy days and productive physio sessions that PT is pleased with him. He smiles & laughs during morning exercises with my mum and has this 'shiok' expression when my maid sarong's him. Previously it was impossible to get him into the sling coz he was so stiff and unbending. Now we could actually get him to sit cross-legged ala some yoga pose on the sofa supported by cushions. He looks like he's having a contemplative, meditative moment :tlaugh: He also likes my maid singing to him ... so much so that hubby has made up a ditty which he sings to him during bath-time. So far, it's working ... he stays calm & happy thru'out the whole time he's on his bath chair:Dancing_tongue:

uddermummy

Seb is so cute! He sounds like a v zen bb! :tlaugh:Hurray for all his achievements! And also many pats on the back for mummy and family for what they have managed to achieve with their unconditional love! :)

Yeah, so far dd's not throwing any hissy fits, and I'm also keeping all my digits crossed. :p

But she can be so fierce! Just this morning, she was actually glaring at me with real adultish sort of anger when I took the remote control away from her to take the battery out, so that she wouldn't turn the air con on and off. Wahhh, tell you, I was really scared man!:eek: And I all but cowered under that fearsome glance!

I quickly took out the batteries, all the while telling her that it's good to be feisty but she should reserve her fiestiness for big things, and she should just chill the rest of the time!:001_302:

No wonder they say you really have to be careful what you wish for.

epicurean

Hahahah I think being more zen is still AFI for Seb :wink: He's much less fussy, irritable now so I'm very thankful. When he's happy, all is well in my world ... that's probably why he knows that I'm such a pushover for him!

Your dd is a pint-sized firecracker! And so expressive and resolute in what she wants ... I wish some of my students are that articulate and decisive instead of cruising thru life like smurfs. Maybe can tell your dd not to sweat the small stuff and to channel her fiestiness into worthy causes :001_302: I must admit that's a very funny episode :tlaugh:

On the ome front, it's looking good for 'Operation Reduce Dosage' ... it does seem like her tummy muscles are strengthening and closing up properly, doesn't it? Good job, mummy! *wild applause*

uddermummy

Seb knows that you're not a pushover, but a really sweet mummy! :)

Talking about local kids, there's this recent issue about how they fare against foreign kids. I tend to agree with the view that some of our kids are mollycoddled, so much so that they can't fend for themselves.

Ah smurfs.... Those were the days! I wonder if most of the mummies here know about this smurf reference. :p. I guess there's nothing wrong about cruising through life if that's what you want. The thing is some want more, but don't want to put in the effort, and then they start to whine about this and that when life doesn't go their way. It's all about resilience...

Maybe your students will wake up their ideas after they've being given a few of life's hard knocks? :001_302: I heard from a friend that even JC kids can be quite mollycoddled today, and she's had interfering parents as well. Is that true?

epicurean

Hmmm, let's just say Seb knows my switch-board pretty well and he knows which buttons to press to melt my heart :001_302: When he does his pouty-lip cry, everyone gives in to him!

Eh, did I reveal my old age with that reference to smurfs? Heheheh. Yeah, I do find local students 'softer' than overseas students ... quite a few of them expect things to go smoothly and to go their way and whinge when they hit turbulent spots. And it's true ... some parents are over-protective so that doesn't help matters.

I'm all for the school of hard knocks! Esp for my JC students. They can be so sheltered in their worldviews ... fretting and problematising small matters (or getting emo :p) when there're much greater, more significant issues & causes to be addressed & championed.

epicurean

uddermummy,

I've checked with Dr Aw and she has decided to see Seb in April coz he's feeding well and she's quite happy with how he's doing on Zantac. So I won't get a chance to see you & dd in Feb.

Btw at Seb's last med review, his head circumference is still the same as 3 months ago :( Weight & height wise, he's fine. So it's back to persevering with nutrition & stimulation to help his brain to develop.

pinkdolphin

Hi all mummies,

my baby also hv serious GERD,everytime when she down wit flu or fever,she will volmit till dehydration n admit to hospital..this time is her 4th time in hospital..really heartpain when everytime see she cried badly when been poke for drips n do all kind of test to find reason for GERD...her doctor has suggested for fundopolition..need some advise/experience for you mummies..

is anyone's baby did went thru fundoplication for GERD/Hiatal hernia?how effective and is ther any side effects?heard fm the doctor,though it will reduce the volmitting as tighten the muscle but when cases hv flu or unwell baby's stomarch will be bloated and in serious case, need to send to hospital n insert the tube to draw out the gas..means in order not to let the food flow bk,will try to keep the food in stomarch but it will make the baby feel painful sometimes..we really worry after the opns,bk to square we still need to run up n down the hospital n let baby suffering more...

rae

hey pinkdolphin... my ger did her fundo @ age 4mths cos she had severe GERD and no meds worked for her. she never vomited again after that and we saw her smile for the first time cos probably no longer in pain. however, she is on tube feeding so that has not aggrevated her GERD further since she does not take in air.

pinkdolphin

Hi Rae,

thanks for your reply,we still at hospital,the test still on going,she juz did the endoscope and barium test,the result show she has hiatal hernia which cause the GERD,but need few more test to cnfm again,everyday seen my baby been poke for blood test and she cried badly bcoz of the pain..really heartpain about that,doctor say if really cnfm is hiatal hernia,definately need to do fundo but it doesnt mean that will sovle the volmiting problems,it may cause by other reason also,alrdy 14mths this problem ongoing,juz like no ending..dont knw how much my baby need to suffer again..:embarrassed:

naj79

hi mummies who has babies with reflux.
i am one of the mumy who has a baby from 5mths old to date he is 18months sufferng from silent reflux.
i am here to recommend mummies in singapore to help with your babies.i read from one of the forum about Dr Phillipe Raoux . i manage to find his full address and finally met him.he is an osteopathic who did not prescribed any medicine at all.he just do a magic touch and some tapping here and there and he got my son finally to sleep soundly at night.Trust me mummies im here because i feel emphaty for you.my boy can hardly sleep longer than 15minutes without getting up being cranky i have been suffering for 13 months and i have seen most of the paedatrician they prescribe him with zantac and motillium that do help but not with his sleep.after visitng dr phillipe for the first time he sleep soundly.i did not believe my eyes but mummies it do happen.i still look after his diet and still gives him his zantac and motillium but what,important most is his sleep at night.it has never been peacful and i always cried looking at the situation my son in. it not only bothers me but i find that he is suffering too.with his eyes close he sat up and cries.Dr phillipe from far east shopping centre his contact is 68361754.you can mention to him my son zaeem 18mth old boy who met him last week and this week. i really thanked to Godhe has shown me the way.But im really urging with mummies out there dont misunderstood me my son is not totally cured but there is huge improvement on his sleep.

naj79

for babies suffering with reflux you may try Dr Phillipe Raoux from far east shopping centre who had helped my son 80percent to sleep more soundly at night.Dr phillipe is an osteopathy he will not prescribed any oral medicine his contact number is 68361754