My Baby did not poop for the whole day!

Hi Mummies,

My baby did not poop for the whole of yesterday and today.

I have cut down my breastfeeding to 2 feeds a day only as I am returning to work soon, so the rest are formula feeds.

I started this on last Friday, and till Monday, she still regularly poop once a day but suddenly today and yesterday, she did not poop at all.

Is this normal?

stonston

Think she's not used to the FM yet. Press her tummy to check if it's cramped/hard. If it is, need to see doctor to use the suppostory to make her poop.

If her tummy is not cramped or hard, then try to dilute the FM a little more (maybe 5ml more).

tika

how old is your baby ahh? try giving gripe water or more plain water. i think her tummy might be taking afew days to adjust to fm. if she doesn't poop tomoro...then bring go doc. If she happen to poop today, take note of the consistency of the stool. even if she never poo for 3 days and when she does, her stool is soft, she's not constipating. so no need to worry, some babies, like my girl last time... poop only every 3 days...but stool is soft soft kind.

you shd worry only when you notice her stool is hard. then bring her to doc and they'll give her lactulose.

once, my girl didn't poop for 12 days when she was 5 months. i kan cheong so bring her to hospital. They give her suppository to put inside backside, her poop came out soft. He said different babies different pooping schedules. Some everyday, some every 3-4 days. Doc said my dotter one of a kind, she takes on average 7 - 10 days but stool still very soft.

Phoebii Cheng

I think bb never poop for 1 day is ok, that time my son oso did not poop for 1 day, then the next day he poo.....

Try giving ur bb more water.....and see how

kathtan

Give little bit of gripe water, massage the stomach area(not after feed though), lift the legs up and make "urn urn" sound to help baby to poo. My twins now 5 mths, used to poo 7 times a day(till they scare), then i changed milk powder and now they poo every other day. Just make sure the stomach area is soft not hard hard.

candy_ian

i think she's adjusting to the formula one day is okay i guess. But if she looks uncomfortable then betta bring her to the dr.

Thank you everyone.

In fact when I was breastfeeding her fully, I actually add in 1 FM feed per day so that slowly get her use to it. Maybe now she got more FM feeds thats why she never poop.

Um.... I shall observe and see how it goes. Thanks, Mummies!

Love!

Mummies,

She finally poop! Its abit greenish, normal anot?

I can't remember bout my last 2 DDs 1 so gotta ask... Hehe...

some FM will cause constipation. and some FM has vegetable extracts which causes baby's poop to be green. my dear son has always had green poop after i stopped breastfeeding him. when i told my pediatrician that dear son has green poop he only asked if the poop was watery/foamy/phlegmy (looks like phlegm). otherwise the pediatrician didn't look too worried. the pediatrician even asked if i ate a lot of veges... that it would cause baby's poop to be green. for more info on green poop you can go to these sites from baby center:
Your baby's poo: what's normal and what's not
Why are my breastfed baby's stools often green?
HTH

hope seow

Mummies,

Hi, i think it's normal. When i just switched for breastmilk to formula to my kids (3 of them), they did not pooped for a week. I was very worried then (my eldest boy now 3+) so went to see a PD. She said it's quite normal so just gave him some medication to soften the stools. The stools was initiately green too for a fews days then it went back to normal colour. This happen to all my 3 kids.

Ginger

Mummies,

My pedia said it's normal to have greenish poop because of the protein ingredient in the formula. My dear boy has greenish poop too, ever since I stopped breastfeeding him.