my baby drinks little but many times!

Edwinie

My son is coming to 7 months old now. Since birth, he has been drinking very little milk but very frequent. right now, he drinks about 30 ml and then stop. then he will look around, be distracted and i have to try coaxing him to drink more. and then he will drink about 80 ml in total and stop. been like this without any improvement!

the volume in total is in the healthy range. just that there is a break in between each feed. when i try to feed him more, he will just close his mouth, start playing with the bottle and simply not suckle. i can't force him! until now, i'm still using a 125ml bottle rather than the 200+ml ones..

i don't think it's because his stomach is small, as he can finish 120ml at times, but very seldom.

Any mums have similar experience? Anyone knows how to make him drink more at one go?

My son is coming to 7 months old now. Since birth, he has been drinking very little milk but very frequent. right now, he drinks about 30 ml and then stop. then he will look around, be distracted and i have to try coaxing him to drink more. and then he will drink about 80 ml in total and stop. been like this without any improvement!

the volume in total is in the healthy range. just that there is a break in between each feed. when i try to feed him more, he will just close his mouth, start playing with the bottle and simply not suckle. i can't force him! until now, i'm still using a 125ml bottle rather than the 200+ml ones..

i dont't think it's because his stomach is small, as he can finish 120ml at times, but very seldom.

Any mums have similar experience? Anyone knows how to make him drink more at one go?
same same for my son and daughter. did you use to breastfeed? They both fought with grandma who is the caregiver in the day and refused to be bottlefed and would starve and wait for me to get home and latch on. so my son used to nurse every 1-2hours all through the night. my mom decided to stop the battles with my daughter and she's been drinking EBM from a sippy cup since 11 months old.

have you tried different teats/bottles?

i think your son could be like mine - wants to be entertained and stimulated all the time so milk-drinking is boring... but at 7 months, you can also give him some of his nutritional needs from solids. as long as he's growing well, don't worry too much :)

kittyjae

i dont't think it's because his stomach is small, as he can finish 120ml at times, but very seldom.

Hi, my son is coming to 9mths soon and he also doesn't drink much milk. According to his paed, some babies are just not heavy milk drinkers. I am also still using the 125ml bottles with him. He dropped from drinking 120ml to 90 and now around 60-70ml at any one time... I give him 2 meals in a day, morning snack would be his steamed sweet potato and afternoon snack would be his baby yoghurt. In between I would feed him the Gerber snack.. I'm still feeding him cereal porridge using his fm. He has quite a sensitive stomach since newborn. Currently he's on Karihome goat milk as last month he has had cow milk intolerance.

Your baby could be teething so he might not be interested to drink much milk. My son sure is teething now.. so just have to bear with it :001_302:

shaylin

Hi, my baby is also doing the same! He is only 7 weeks old though.

He used to nurse about every 2 hours for about 20-30mins each time. But now, he only nurses for about 5-10mins each time every 1 hour! I will encourage him to drink more, but he will either fall asleep at the breast or just refuse to continue.

I'm now quite worried that he will not have enough to drink, though he is still gaining weight so I think it should be fine. But I'm also getting really exhausted with the hourly feeds and burping that seem to be all strung together with no rest for me. I read that as babies get older there should be a longer break in between feeds, but it's getting shorter for my baby!

Will appreciate any advice. Thank you!

Last edited:

Edwinie

lol! that's y i stop latching and started pumping out.. too exhausting for me.. now my child 7 months, still doing the same. thanks goodness he is still growing. so i'm not that worried.

shaylin

lol! that's y i stop latching and started pumping out.. too exhausting for me.. now my child 7 months, still doing the same. thanks goodness he is still growing. so i'm not that worried.
When did you start pumping exclusively? I'm quite scared that my milk supply will decrease if I do that now as my son is only 7 weeks old.

Edwinie

When did you start pumping exclusively? I'm quite scared that my milk supply will decrease if I do that now as my son is only 7 weeks old.
4-5 weeks.. it increased my supply actually. not sure if i'm the exception. lots of people say latching is the best way to increase supply and pumping reduces supply.. not for me though.. i do pump many times. every 4 hours. even when i sleep, i'll wake up and pump once time is up.

shaylin

Just a little update on my situation...

My darling little rascal has just suddenly decided to REJECT the bottle completely! He has been screaming and struggling every time we try to give him the bottle (tried both breastmilk and formula in the bottle) for the past 3 days.

The strange thing is, I have been giving him the bottle at night every night since the day we came home from the hospital. And he has been happily taking it until the past 3 days.

So my brilliant plan to feed him expressed breastmilk in order to lenghten the time between feeds will not work now.

Any advice??