My baby is not sleeping enough

Help mommies! I am getting a little desperate here.

My son is now 3.5 months old and we have a hard time getting him to take longer naps during daytime. He will usually nap for 20 to 30 minutes then wake up crying and we have to soothe him back to sleep. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes he just won't sleep at all.

We tried cuddling and singing him to sleep. We also tried pacifier. Just recently we bought a rocking chair but none seems to work wonders.

I read that infant should sleep an average of 18 hours at this age but mine only 12 hours. I am really worried that this will affect his development.

Any mommies out there who is facing the problem? For those who faced the same situation how did you fix it?

I am on wits end here... If only he can resettle back to sleep himself.. Tears :(

whitecatz

I remember my #1 having the same problem at about that age. I actually sat in and observed her to see what was going on and I realised that at about 20-30min when she was coming out of deep sleep into light sleep, she was jerking. And the muscles jerks woke her up. I ended up swaddling her for naps again and she went back to 1.5hrs nap time. Suggest you could observe your child sleeping to see if it is the same thing?

Another thing is if you are putting them down for nap when they are over-tired, same thing can happen too. Also, I think there's a mental leap about then, and that means poor naps for some kids :)

ast0212

Some babies sleep lots. Some babies don't. Some take long naps. Some take only cat naps.

Babies don't read books :)

katsg

Help mommies! I am getting a little desperate here.

My son is now 3.5 months old and we have a hard time getting him to take longer naps during daytime. He will usually nap for 20 to 30 minutes then wake up crying and we have to soothe him back to sleep. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes he just won't sleep at all.

We tried cuddling and singing him to sleep. We also tried pacifier. Just recently we bought a rocking chair but none seems to work wonders.

I read that infant should sleep an average of 18 hours at this age but mine only 12 hours. I am really worried that this will affect his development.

Any mommies out there who is facing the problem? For those who faced the same situation how did you fix it?

I am on wits end here... If only he can resettle back to sleep himself.. Tears :(
You can try to let him sleep in sarong. My bb last time also like that when nap on bed but after put in sarong he can sleep longer hours...:)

gracetd

Hi, please dont't lose hope. You can find a lot of info to help baby sleeping from this website: babysleepsite.com

Read through the free articles and sign up for their newsletters, the info are very good. Your baby is still young, so can do sleep/nap training more easily. If all the free info doesn't work, then only consider their paid service. But I didn't use their paid service, so can't comment on it.

shinl

I have the same problem.. my girl is 6 weeks old only and she just refused to sleep. Swaddling doesnt work.. and she hates e sling carrier.. tried eeeeevery single method to try to put her to bed but it just doesnt work. she'll only sleep (for like 15 20 mins) after screaming her head off for half an hour..

Cosha

Ya my 8 weeks old sonis also having the same problem. He refuses to nap on his bed so we had to carry him till he sleeps and try to put him in bed very carefully. After a short while of 5-15mins he wakes up screaming. We tried putting him on his bouncer and I sat down to observe him, he closes his eyes awhile and then wakes up. Feels like he is trying to stay awake. I held onto his hand and rock the bouncer then he sleeps. I will observe again tomorrow and see how.

littlesnake

hi all

i hv the same problem too! my son is 4 mths old n he cant nap for long during the daytime, will wake up ard 30mins..though he is tired but he dun wan slp earli at nite, he slept v late ard 11pm++..any solutions?

shinl

anyone else considering a yaolan? hub been asking me to get one coz he finds that I have been too stressed out trying to make my girl sleep. but.. i am worried of e after effects... my sis slept on a swing since she was born... all e way till she was P3.. o.o

hi all

i hv the same problem too! my son is 4 mths old n he cant nap for long during the daytime, will wake up ard 30mins..though he is tired but he dun wan slp earli at nite, he slept v late ard 11pm++..any solutions?
Could it be that he has stomach discomfort so he does not sleep well during the day? My son sometimes doesnt sleep well when weather is too hot. He used to sleep after midnight! But ever since we started doing bed time at 830pm by dimming all the lights and keeping the house quiet. He usually slept by 930pm to 10pm

littlesnake

Could it be that he has stomach discomfort so he does not sleep well during the day? My son sometimes doesnt sleep well when weather is too hot. He used to sleep after midnight! But ever since we started doing bed time at 830pm by dimming all the lights and keeping the house quiet. He usually slept by 930pm to 10pm
how to c whether he have stomach discomfort huh? i dun think its due to tat, he seems lik a light sleeper..

my son cant slp at 8plus, he is still v alert at tat time..i reli donno how to train him to slp earli..he usually still drink his milk ard 10plus..

do u bf or feed infant formula huh?

chengtng

I have the same problem with my 3.5 month old - he sleeps 30 min naps (3-4 a day), and then gets really really cranky towards the evening, and there seems to be nothing i can do about it. When i observe signs of sleepiness, I take him to his cot and the moment his body touches his bed, he cries! All I can do is to give him the pacifier. I have also tried swaddling him tightly (while he is crying), and giving him the pacifier - it works at times (and he takes 1.5-2 hr naps), but sometimes he gets up at the 30 min mark, and wouldn't be soothed back to sleep! I have tried letting him sleep in prone position (while watching him throughout his nap) and he managed to sleep for 3 (!!) hours, but usually in prone, he's too frustrated to sleep, so that has only happened once.

I'm not keen to try sarongs / rockers cos the PD advised against sarongs, and I've heard horror stories of babies unable to sleep without being rocked! My little one sleeps easily at night (just need to swaddle and put him down in a dark room when he is drowsy, give him the pacifier if he whines, and he falls asleep!), so I don't really want to introduce rocking...

shinl

I gave in to e sarong lol.. consulted a paed about it n she says do wad we can to soothe e baby.. my girl rejects pacifier n fights in her swaddle.. n would cry sooo long before tiring herself out.. i must say with e sarong.. it saved my sanity.. paed thinks anything tt works is better than a crying baby..

i let her in e sarong day time to put her to sleep and most of e times take her out at e 30 mins mark and she'll be sleeping on bed thereafter.. i hope her day nap is established nw between 2-6pm.. night time she has always been cosleeping with me

honestly tho.. i think its a combination of the sarong and e probiotics.. e probiotics have helped my girl with her bowel movement so much so tt she no longer wakes up screaming whenever she wants to poop or fart.. so.. maybe give it a try.. think it gives extra comfort