My mum is living her ambitions through me and it's suffocating.

I am a top student with a narcissistic mother. She married my dad when she was 20 and never had to work her entire life. She dropped out of school midway after meeting my dad (who btw is much older) and got engaged to him within a year; I happened shortly after. My father is the brainy one, being also academically brilliant during his youth.

Despite my mother having a rather carefree lifestyle, she didn't look after me as a child. Instead I was sent to my grandparents during the weekdays and only returned home during weekends till I started primary school. Even though I performed exceedingly well in my studies, I was forced to attend tuition classes for all subjects. My dad initially objected but caved in after my mum persisted. As time grew, I didn't mind as this accorded me an excellent reason to be away from home and more importantly, away from my mum.

My mother constantly bragged about my achievements to anyone who was willing to listen and frankly it's embarrassing. She would try talking to people about me anytime, everytime. Take for instance, my cousin who is only currently in P1 and therefore a huge age gap exists between us, she would wax lyrical about how awesome I was as a P1 student....goodness gracious, I am already past 20! I could hardly recall the various awards that I amassed over the years, yet she went around naming them out as though people cared. She is constantly making excuses to why she can't work because of me. As a result of her obnoxious behavior, we aren't close to our relatives. I am also not close to my cousins as my mum constantly reminded me that they are average students and I should only mingle with folks of a similar pedigree. I do admit I feel superior to them as I'm a single child and thus enjoy greater personal attention, not forgetting much more money spent on me compared to my less privileged cousins who had to settle for diplomas.

More at https://www.domainofexperts.com/2022/12/my-mum-is-living-her-ambitions-through.html