My story @ TMC <-- For all mothers and mothers-to-be wanting to bf

blubberish

http://www.mummysg.com/forums/f72/my-story-breastfeeding-support-thomson-medical-center-after-birth-16082/

If you are giving birth at TMC and want to breastfeed, do research and be more knowledgeable about it. Don't be like me, stupid stupid, and suffer. And INSIST on your rights to breastfeed!

I attach UNICEF's article on breastfeeding and their 10 steps to successful breastfeeding.

UNICEF - Nutrition - Protecting, promoting and supporting breastfeeding

Ten Steps to Successful Breastfeeding

© UNICEF UK/Jill Jennings 2009

1. Have a written breastfeeding policy that is routinely communicated to all healthcare staff.
2. Train all healthcare staff in the skills necessary to implement the breastfeeding policy.
3. Inform all pregnant women about the benefits and management of breastfeeding.
4. Help mothers initiate breastfeeding soon after birth.
5. Show mothers how to breastfeed and how to maintain lactation even if they are separated
from their babies.
6. Give newborn infants no food or drink other than breastmilk, unless medically indicated.
7. Practice rooming-in, allowing mothers and infants to remain together 24 hours a day.
8. Encourage breastfeeding on demand.
9. Give no artificial teats or dummies to breastfeeding infants.
10. Foster the establishment of breastfeeding support groups and refer mothers to them on discharge from the hospital or clinic.

Urm, seems like you all have bad experience with Thomson Medical Center huh? Maybe bcoz you all are 1st time mums?

I had my 1st experience at Kandang Kerbau Hospital and it was damn bad... Nurses there dont show sympathy at all... I couldn't BF but they insisted I should and when I cried, they scolded me...

My 2nd and 3rd experience was at Thomson Medical Center, simply wonderful... My 2nd 1 this time round i wanted to BF, as I was struggling, the nurses der all very patient and caring... the lactation staff, i 4got her name, came up few times to help me too when i requested...

3rd experience was I oreadi know how to BF, so it was orite for me. As for baby to be brought to me, they aways bring in during feeding time, which is every 3 to 4 hours interval. and each time they leave baby with me for at least 2 hours.

Btw, baby gotta put in warmer bcoz their body temp is quite low. You dont 1 your baby to be sick right? The nurses der are not new, they have many yrs of experience, so they will know better then us too.

For breast milk, it will only come in on the 3rd day, 1st 2 days baby has reserved inside the body so we do not have to worry. as for feeding with FM at hospital, the nurses will only give when the mother requests for it. They are totally pro active on TBF at Thomson Medical Center.

blubberish

wow... Sounds like you had a great experience at Thomson Medical Center.

Yeah, agreed that it could be due to the fact that I'm a 1st time mum.

I spoken to other mums who had more or less the same experience as me... I dont't think mine was an isolated incident. One of my friend's wife bought and sold breast pumps thrice as she gave birth there 3 times and did not get adequate support from the staff there. I guess it differs with people ...

My purpose in writing this is really just to let people know of my experience and for them to learn from it so that they can have a better start at breastfeeding.

joeichen

I think next time u can take their names n feedback on tat.
We pay them so we deserve better treatment.
Lucky for me, I got good exp with TMC oso but my poor fren have got very very very bad exp with KK.
Sometime oso depend on abit of luck.

blubberish

joeichen: Ya... Agreed. At that point in time, i din think anything was wrong. Only when I came home, then I knew. :embarrassed:

MomoMummy

mine was aso gd though their actions a bit chor lo.

prob baby could latch immediately after nurse assist. the next day cos baby still crying after breastfeed, nurse give more detail explanation then ask us go for course. some nurse gd, some like shit.:nah:

renieee

I had a bad experience with KK Hospital.. As i went for C-section, i was in post operation ward for 6 hours.. But after the first hour i was in there, i told the nurse i am alright and i would like to breastfeed my baby.. And i asked them a couple of times when will my baby be brought to me.. And after 6 hours, back to the normal ward, only then i saw my baby.. So i tried to breastfeed my baby but she refused.. Not even a nurse is willing to help me out.. They asked if i was breastfeeding and when my reply was i am trying but i need help, they will say ok and then walk away..

*Hopefully this won't happen this time round*

:eek:11: