My story to share

Jode

My baby was born pre-mature and was very skinny and light. When she was 2 days old, she had jaundice and so, she was very lethargic. i had to struggle to keep her awake to feed during every feed. She would rather sleep than to drink milk.

When i brought her for her review at 1 month old, her weight was off the charts (much lighter than the general baby in the 25th percentile). The pediatrician said that she will be very happy for my baby if she can maintain her weight at around the 25th percentile.

Now, my baby is 4 mths old and she is at the 50-75th percentile.

This may not mean much to most mothers. but to me, it meant a whole lot of encouragement. I have seen my baby grow from a skinny baby to a chubby and healthy baby she is now.

All thanks to breastfeeding.

I was surprised at myself that i can bf for so long. When i decided to feed my baby with breast milk, i just thought i will give it a try. Unknowingly, i have bf my baby for more than 4 mths, and, hopefully, still counting.

Well, i had my share of challenges, like a very sleepy baby, waking up in the middle of the night to feed, searching for a nursing room while baby is crying for milk, unable to separate from baby for a long time and therefore cannot go for long shopping trips alone, just to name a few... =) But i have to say that.. all this is worth it.. and gave me the motivation to bf her for as long as i can. Right now, I am back to work and my latest struggle is expressing breast milk in the office. Nevertheless, I will continue to persevere, because I want my baby to remain healthy and chubby!

So, my msg to those mummies reading this post.. If you are having some kind of difficulty bf-ing at the moment - please do not give up. Do know that you are not alone and always remember, your baby is the one who will benefit most. So, hang in there!

To those other mummies who are advocates of bf-ing, I'm proud to say that one of you now! =)

lyra

Welcome to the breastfeeding mothers club! Many mothers give up breastfeeding due to pressure n worries, not knowing that breast milk is the best for premmies. My friends n I bf n our babies r all chubby n healthy :)

ast0212

Good on you Jode!! Thanks for sharing your story! Breastfeeding is definitely not easy and takes a lot of persistence! Keep going for as long as you can :001_302:

Doctors usually make us worry when baby isn't average on the charts. As long as your baby is anywhere on the charts, they are healthy. I had a 3rd percentile baby for a long time and he was fully breastfed (never had formula). Starting him on solids at 6 months didn't make any difference either and he continued to be on the 3rd percentile till he was around 10 months! He's still small and skinny, on the 15th percentile but a very active and healthy toddler thanks to breastmilk as he never got sick till after he weaned at 18 months.

Hang in there and all the best!! :001_302:

MamabbJ

Thanks, Jode for your wonderful testimony and encouraging sharing.

Expressing milk in the office can be challenging. But it is wonderful that you are persevering. Keep it up. Do keep your mind focused on your beautiful baby while you express to encourage the let-down reflex. I used to view baby's photos and videos on my mobile while I express at the office. Keep yourself warm too as a cold room affects milk expression.

I used a compact cooler bag from Munchkin that came with cooling pads so that it can fit snugly into the fridge and freezer better esp. in the office when the fridge is shared by others. I also used Pigeon milk storage bottles with screw caps to prevent spillage during transportation. I spilt my EBM once while travelling home (from 100 ml I was left with only 20 ml). How I cried that day! They say don't cry over spilt milk, but I did!

Jode

Thanks, Jode for your wonderful testimony and encouraging sharing.

Expressing milk in the office can be challenging. But it is wonderful that you are persevering. Keep it up. Do keep your mind focused on your beautiful baby while you express to encourage the let-down reflex. I used to view baby's photos and videos on my mobile while I express at the office. Keep yourself warm too as a cold room affects milk expression.

I used a compact cooler bag from Munchkin that came with cooling pads so that it can fit snugly into the fridge and freezer better esp. in the office when the fridge is shared by others. I also used Pigeon milk storage bottles with screw caps to prevent spillage during transportation. I spilt my EBM once while travelling home (from 100 ml I was left with only 20 ml). How I cried that day! They say don't cry over spilt milk, but I did!
Yes. I am beginning to realise how challenging it is to express in the office. Tried to reduce the no of sessions from 3 to 2. But as a result, I am unable to bring back my baby's daily demand of milk. Everyday, I'm under the pressure to bring home/supply baby's daily demand and feel so lousy when I did not 'hit the target'. Now I am back to 3 sessions. ;(

Last weekend, went to buy a tin of fm.. hopefully will not get to use it.

And YES! I am very afraid that I will spill the milk during transportation. Thankfully, it has not happened to me yet. Once, my mil told me that she poured away a whole bottle of my ebm cos baby was fussing and refused to drink, my heart broke and I was close to tears... =P So I know what you mean..

lyra

If your job requires u to run around, like e.g., a home tutor going to several kids' homes a day, how do you sterilize pump, express and store the milk?

MamabbJ

Agree with you, Lyra! Many mummies and I also share the view that breastfed babies are healthier and chubbier! They are also less prone to infections.
They also bond well with their mummies and feel more secure!

Welcome to the breastfeeding mothers club! Many mothers give up breastfeeding due to pressure n worries, not knowing that breast milk is the best for premmies. My friends n I bf n our babies r all chubby n healthy :)

Jode

If your job requires u to run around, like e.g., a home tutor going to several kids' homes a day, how do you sterilize pump, express and store the milk?
i must say i am very fortunate to work in a office with a nursing room and an understanding boss..
not sure how best to tackle this problem... perhaps you can have 2 sets of bottles and pump equipment etc.. so you can sterilise all at home and pack them in ziplock bags to bring ard.. i know of some mummies who express in their car.. if you do not drive, perhaps you can borrow your student's place? i'm sure the parent will be ok with it.. they have been thru this stage before too.. and i think the storage bag and ice pack is good enough to keep your BM til you get home..
hope this helps..

MamabbJ

If you need to sterilise the pumping utensils/milk bottles when on the go, my suggestion would be:

1) To use sterilisation tablets (eg. Pureen, Pigeon brands) which are available at Kiddy Palace and other stores. These tablets need to be dissolved in boiled/drinking water (cooled down to room temperature or just luke warm will do) in a plastic container. Metal containers are not recommended. I used to have a 5 Litre plastic container with volume graduation marks so that I know much water to use for the tablets. Follow the instructions on the box eg. one Pureen tablet in 2L of water. You need to soaked the washed utensils into this solution for 30 mins before use. Then you can use directly and no rinsing is required nor recommended. You can soak them in the kitchen of your tutoring kids' home while you teach. By the time your tutoring ends then your utensils will be ready for use. Then you don't need to buy to sets of equipment/utensils.

2) Use a good insulating ice pack bag with ice packs that can last you in between journeys to different houses. You can put the EBM in the fridge and ice packs in the freezer while in the homes of your tutoring kids. I am sure they won't mind your using their fridge/freezer for a while. But do not freeze your EBM because it is not good to freeze-thaw it while you travel. Better to just keep at 4 deg C fridge. Ice pack usually does not keep EBM frozen for long but can only maintain it at approx. 4 deg C.

3) As for the place to express milk, yes I think in the car is a good suggestion if you drive (as suggested by Jode). But if you don't drive, I think you need to find nearby buildings that have nursing rooms for mothers eg. shopping malls or hospitals, clinics, etc. or if your students' home have a room which you can use.

Hope this helps! :)

If your job requires you to run around, like e.g., a home tutor going to several kids' homes a day, how do you sterilize pump, express and store the milk?

lyra

Thnx for sharing, Mamabbj. I didn't know that we can use sterilization tablets! That makes things simpler. I'm most worried about the sterilizing.

ast0212

Breast pump equipment and bottles for breastmilk do not need to be sterilised. Washing them in hot soapy water is enough.

Only bottles used for formula need to be sterilised :)

lyra

Really!? But hospitals sterilize them and almost all mothers I met told me they sterilize them... so I diligently sterilize all the equipments and threw away breast milk that was not expressed with sterilized pump. How come so many sterilize them if they do not need to be sterilized?

Breast pump equipment and bottles for breastmilk do not need to be sterilised. Washing them in hot soapy water is enough.

Only bottles used for formula need to be sterilised :)

ast0212

Really!? But hospitals sterilize them and almost all mothers I met told me they sterilize them... so I diligently sterilize all the equipments and threw away breast milk that was not expressed with sterilized pump. How come so many sterilize them if they do not need to be sterilized?
Because breastmilk has antibacterial properties and hence does not need to be sterilised. Another amazing fact of breastmilk! :) The hospital I gave birth at did some research on this too and confirmed that bottles and equipment for breastmilk just needs hot soapy water and air-dried on a clean surface. Only formula bottles need sterilisation. Saved us a heap of money not having to buy a steriliser! :p

You don't need to throw out any milk not expressed by a sterilised pump...otherwise what would women who solely hand express do?

Jode

Wah! Really?
I have been diligently sterilising all the bottles and equipment all this while... =(

Because breastmilk has antibacterial properties and hence does not need to be sterilised. Another amazing fact of breastmilk! :) The hospital I gave birth at did some research on this too and confirmed that bottles and equipment for breastmilk just needs hot soapy water and air-dried on a clean surface. Only formula bottles need sterilisation. Saved us a heap of money not having to buy a steriliser! :p

You don't need to throw out any milk not expressed by a sterilised pump...otherwise what would women who solely hand express do?

A very good dear,
welcome in breastfeeding mummies, as we all know that breast feeding is the best of all full of nutrient.