My worst nightmare with gynae and TMC

Hi Mummies,

Just like to share with you my story so you will not have the same incident as me. I went to Dr Chen Sze Hua at Bishan 8 Women's Clinic and delivered at TMC. Both are my worst nitemare ever!

See Dr Chen when i was 7 weeks preggy, went to him cos he's clinic is very near my place. Due to I was having slight bleeding when I'm preggy he diagnose me with Low placenta, den I was put on long term medication of duphaston, which is not a cheap medicine(Now I wonder if it is even nessesary), as well as long term injection. The medication made my morning sickness worst, I have morning sickness all the way till 3 weeks before my delivery. I spend $2K at his clinic.

After he diagnose me with low placenta, I was on Bed Rest order, which jeopardise my job as I used up my MC and Hospitilization Leave for the year of 2011. Luckily my HR was understanding. But when I went to have a Ultrasound Scan with Radlink the results were normal, hence I wonder if what he diagnose on me is true. On 2 of my visits there he surprised me with questions like "Did I ever mentioned to you the position of ur baby is not right?" "Did I admit you to hospital for drip"(Both Qns posted to me on my 3rd trimester) He asked me those qns while looking at my casenote, when I qn him back why he say so, he replied to the 1st question with"Oh you kept asking me to measure your baby weight hence I tot ur baby is in the wrong position" and the 2nd qn he simply reply me "Errmmm ahhh.....*Silence*"

I paid him for his package of $600 which should includes Iron & Calcium Supplement and consultation, his clinic assitant told me that for ultrasound is chargable on alternate visit. But he never charge me on ultrasound, until I start to ask about my fetal weight. As most gynae will tell mummy of baby weight but he never did, if I were to request for it i'm being charged $50. As I get nearer to my due date the time he spend to check on me and my baby got shorter and shorter. During my 3rd trimester, to register, check urine/bp/weight, ultrasound see baby heartbeat, I leave the clinic in 5mins. Isn't amazing how fast it is??!!?

Then finally it's time for my girl to come see the world herself, I called up the clinic, the clinic assistant and they advise "Oh very pain har, den u get urself admit lor" this kind of attitude??!?? Then at TMC the nurses checked on me I wasn't dilated yet, and asked about any complication during pregnancy? I replied Yes, Low Placenta. Nurses replied so you going for C-sect? I say NO! Dr Chen say I cannot go for C-Sect I can only go Normal. Nurses was shocked and stunt for 1mins before she say ok I will call Dr Chen.

Nurses came back and say she need to check on me, checked, I wasn't dilated at all, Time 1300hrs. Dr Chen order for ultrasound, wheel up and told the same thing to the doctor they my gynae say low placenta no c-sect for me, same thing the doctor was shocked too and explained to me that if low placenta I cannot go for Normal. So why has Dr Chen told me something that no one at TMC agree with?

Back to labour ward, ultrasound report back and say amniotic fluid is too low, which I actually highted to Dr Chen a few times that I feel there is leaking of the fluid during my 2nd trimester, but he say nothing is wrong with me. And the best part! TMC ultrasound shows that I did not have a low placenta issue.

At 1400hrs, Dr Chen ordered a pill to induce labour as amniotic fluid is too low it danger my baby and I already having contractions. But at 1955hrs finally I see Dr Chen for less then 5mins, what he did was look at the report and say "Oh u r not ready yet I see u tmr" since 1400hrs till 1955hrs I was not dilated at all.

Was push to a 4 bedded ward to wait, its a ward near to the door and whenever someone come in or out my curtain get draw open, initially I tot it's a tempt bed. BUT I was wrong!!! Finally at 0525hrs there is leakage and some blood, Nurses came and push me back to labour ward and wait.

0600hrs nurses checked only 2cm dilated. At 0900hrs Dr Chen came saw him for less then 3 mins this time round, read my report and say u wun be ready till afternoon. So waited again.

at 1325hrs finally he order for a drip and epidural for me. The nurses who prepare my epidural threw away the "Wing" accidentally hence the doctor did 2 tries before he finally get the injection in, and why he suceed on the 2 try cos the nurse pick the wing back from the rubbish bin.

However at 1640hrs I felt that the epidural is not working I'm back with the contraction pain. Given laughing gas but it din help. TMC tried calling the doctor who gave me the epidural but he is very far away and can't make it back.

Finally at 1827hrs, another doctor came and redo the epidural for me. But still my right side of body is feeling the pain. Hence the doctor increase my dose for me.

At 2100hrs I dilated 9cm but doctor still not here, at 2200hrs Dr Chen finally arrive when my girl head was already seen, with the help of the TMC midwife. Without even seeing me he ask nurses to prepare vacuum cup and ordered for my epidural to be turned off.

At 2130hrs finally my princess arrived. Then as the epidural wears off Dr Chen start on stitching me up. He took about 30mins to complete with stitching me up. Den wheel back to my ward. And to my surprise same ward same bed.

At 0100hrs Im in so much pain I pressed the bell and waited for a gd 30mins before the nurse on duty came, she say she got to check if i can have any medication. Waited about 20mins came back with 2 ponstan. Then again at 0300hrs I felt pain, call the nurses same thing waited for 30mins and she came in n say no meds cos ponstan taken nid to wait 6hrs for 2nd dose. Begged for any other medication that can help but she say she will check on my stitches to see why I'm in pain and she pressed very hard on my stitches for a few times and say well nothing is wrong.

But upon my discharged I looked at my bill I was charged for Dormicum, a sleeping pill and pain relieve medication, I did not take the pill at all even after begging the nurse for a medication she say there isn't any. So WHY am I being charged?

Next day when I try to breastfeed my baby my hubby have to hold on the curtain for me so that when ppl walk pass the curtain wun be open due to their bags or hand accidentally touch the curtain.

Now the highlight of what I get, 2 times I felt I was treated badly, 1st time the room was used as a store room as well so when the cleaner try to stock up the store his trolley accidentally knock into the table in front of my bed while I'm feeding my girl and she shouted "damn u, why did i bang into ur bed" 2nd time the nurses came in to talk to me while im feeding my baby she opened my curtain without asking and kept the door open at the same time so ppl walking outside have a full view of me feeding my baby. Both of them did not apologise by the way.

My Dr did not came back to check on me until my relative got angry due to they felt he is irresponsible so they demanded him back to check on me at 2200hrs and at 2230hrs Dr Chen finally came, but the nurses told him before hand that we are all very angry so he felt pretty uneasy toking to us playing with his land yard a show of fear in body language. I requested to be discharged at the same time.

Next day the nurses in charged came to discharged me and saw the feedback form I wrote and ask me to have my lunch 1st before I discharged BUT the meal NEVER came. So a few days after discharging she called up to check on me.

How nice right? but she told me in the conversation when I told her how unhappy I was during my stay at TMC she replied "Oh you are just unlucky I guess." What kind of recovery phone call is that?!?

I have been so busy with my baby till now, I finally have time time to share with mummies here my birth story. I'm thinking of complaining to MOH on Dr Chen and as for TMC I dono if filling up the feedback form online help.

Mummies here who felt unfair for me can you advise me what I can do, to the rude service I get from TMC, and is it ok to be induced for labour yet waited for 30 over hours before baby came?

Oh to add on my bill turn out to be $5K plus for 4 bedded normal delivery with vaccum, and baby bill is $1K plus. Thank goodness for medisave in total we only paid cash $2K plus but that $2K plus medisave is also our hard earned money!

xiaodaisy

is this your first baby ? if you ever trying for the #2 , pls change your gynae

he's just simply giving the attitude of like bochup type ..

usually TMC wont give such bad service but i guess maybe due to your doctor didnt inform them well enough , therefore the mainly fault lies with your gynae

i donno how the complain works but u might give it a try ..

for the induce , first time mummies might need quite a long time before baby come but over 30hrs plus is kinda much , my first boy i waited for 12hrs and my doctor would come check on me every hour to see if i'm able to cope as a first time mummy ..

are you feeling better now? sad to hear about your case but do take care of yourself ..

xiaodaisy

oh ya for the gynae charges , for mine .. i only have to pay for following checkup medicine , if i'm not taking any , i dont have to pay a thing , each time include the scanning and everytime doctor will tell us the baby weight , the features , the weeks and EDD ..

actually u should ask your doctor will still have to pay for ultrasound and asking the weight is suppose to be the doctor telling us and why should u be paying more for it ..

Last edited:

Tiggee

From what u have written, I find that your dr is trying to scam your money. And I find that he is really unprofessional.

My gynae charges are $600, inclusive of consultation, urine test & ultrasound scan. Medication & vitamins not included.
And my gynae always told me my baby's weight, cos he's always saying that my baby is too fat.

I delivered at TMC 4bedded vacuum delivery with epi. My bill also came up to 6k? 2k++ is cash. So for that I think it's normal. But I had better service and I stayed in a 2bedded room instead of 4bedded.

I was also induced, my whole process took 21hrs (from 1st prostin pill till baby came out). So maybe 30hrs isnt that long?

As for the low placenta & no csect thingy, I think your dr is pure bullshit!

Pls change your gynae if you are going for a 2nd baby.

As for complaining to MOH, it's really up to you.

oline

ya i agree with ms tiggee. how come a professional doctor said a low placenta or in medical term, it is called as placenta previa, can give birth normally !!! according to text book,, it is so dangerous for normal delivery if it is really a case of low placenta,,, profuse bleeding is the risk !

ya i agree u should report him to MOH.. he put not only u but ur baby in risk if he diagnosed u with low placenta.. plus his Boch up attitude.. its against his Hippocratic Oath..

oh ya for the gynae charges , for mine .. i only have to pay for following checkup medicine , if i'm not taking any , i dont have to pay a thing , each time include the scanning and everytime doctor will tell us the baby weight , the features , the weeks and EDD ..

actually u should ask your doctor will still have to pay for ultrasound and asking the weight is suppose to be the doctor telling us and why should u be paying more for it ..
Hi xiaodaisy, its my #1 n definately I will not b seeing him again, I din even go back to him for postnatal check up i went to another gynae.

Girl, if you have number two contact me in fb. I recommand u my gynae n pls go gleneagles. A short one on my experience:
my gynae is recommanded by my mummy, he has more than 20yrs experience. Super pro-natural n super gd judgement. Quite old man with the very fatherly look, always feel comfortable n peace with him esp his smile, very reassuring. He doesnt talk much, only tell u the basic info, but if u have any request like want to know baby wt, want a pic of the ultrascan, can always request from him. Definitely no xtra charge for knowig baby wt la, picture i cant rmb but i dont think got charge. Needa request though, cos once nxt patient go in the previous scan will b remove liao. He scan at every visit, included in the package. If u got any queries, he is always ready to ans yr ques with confidence. But u gotta initiate by asking la. Most imptly, he gives his mobile number to patients. Any emergency u call him directly. No need call clinic wait to transfer or wait for return call.
I actually booked n paid deposit for tmc. On my last checkup (nxt day give birth), he wants me to admit that evening. When i whine n sa jiao n tell him nxt morning since first pregnancy usually wont so fast, he chk dilation chk contraction n give green light to admit nxt mornig 7am instead. Of cos nag nonstop, if anything mus faster admit n bomb his mobile. N i have to change hospital to gleneagles (cos his clinic is at glenagles n anything he can rush over quicker). Told him i paid deposit already n he got his nurse to call up tmc n ask for refund. End up deliver at gleneagle which was the best choice i had ever made. Thanks to his gd judgememt, i admit 6am n deliver few mins before 12pm. Vacumm cos c head but i no strength push thanks to overdose of laughing gas too high, no epidural. Use of equipment (vacuum) saved me more money. Bill charge higher but medisave claimed higher so my cash returned also higher.
When i admit, at registration, counter staff ask if any contraction. Told her yes every 15mins, asked if i need wheelchair. The person to take me to labour room came within 5mins, didnt wait long. The nurse at labourward heard my conversation with mama, wanted to eat breakfast before admit but mama insist gleneagles have fastfood end up dont have. Nurse offer n brought me 3pcs of biscuit n a cup of milo. Nth great but its the thought that counts, also advise eat abit incase later needa wait long, dont eat too heavy scare if amy medication i will vomit. When insert the thing to pump the poo out, i was frighten n the nurse keep reassuring me. Was in the toilet for awhile n nurse knock to chk if im ok. After my mum left n nurse realise i will b by myself, they kept coming in to chat with me. Ask if want on tv, loud enough, channel ok. They also kept coming in to chk if im feeling ok, if pain is bearable, if need anything. First dilation chk was uncomfy, the nurse apologise though not her fault, nxt onwards she was more xi xin, try to distract me by talking etc. After baby was out, i was allowed to keep baby with me. They will ask if Want them to wake me for night feeds. Pro-breastfeeding. Like all nurses knows how to breastfeed like that. The nurse come in to chk really often. When i press bell they came in pretty fast also. Teach patiently how to change diapers. Chk everytime i feed if position is right. It was the nurse who taught me how to breastfeed. They also gave a dvd on breastfeeding. I dont even need a lactation consultant. With their help my start on breastfeeding was super easy.
My gynae chk on me two time a day. The 2nd night he didnt came when my nxt bed gynae done with her. Waited til 10pm. Didnt ask nurse cos im feeling ok n other than my gynae there is doctor on duty chking n nurses who came in to chk so frequently. End up at 11plus pm my gynae came in his operation robe. He just finish his operation but still made the effort to drop by though its late already i wld most prolly b slping n he is so tired from op cld have just gone off. Totally superly touched.
Of cos there r many many other details on how excellent my gynae n the hospital is. But if i were to go into details i wld flood this thread liao.

Just

honestly I think is Dr Chen's fault. If you r so angry, why not try appeasing yourself by going to his office to demand compensation esle report him to doctors' association? It will prevent his bo-cup attitude from making a mother miserable.. I birthed at TMC with Dr Paul Tseng. It was a very enjoyable experience. At one time I noticed through the ultra scan that my placenta was low at 5 mths, but he assured me as the pregnancy progresses, the placenta will move up. It did gradually move up. Next birth you should get a birth plan written as well and discuss and get it endorsed by your gynae, so that on the day of your birth the nurses will follow your wishes. My first birth was not very enjoyable. For my second birth, I read and became empowered by the knowledge. I thoroughly enjoyed my second birth. All the best!

didy

hmmm i find ur gynae abit dubious on some points

1. u mentioned u had spotting at 7 weeks and ur gynae diagnosed u with low placenta? but at 7 weeks our placenta is not even fully formed! and there could be many other reasons for spotting at the early stage of pregnancies..

2. u dun have to pay extra for ultrasound but u have to pay extra to know ur baby's weight?? doesnt seem right because baby weight can be found from ultrasound! plus knowing baby's weight is a form of monitoring baby's development, which is the purpose of regular check up at gynae right? so why must pay extra??

3. even if u really had low placenta, its text book knowledge that low placenta cannot deliver normally, need to go for c-sect. so actually the people at Thomson was right, ur gynae was not.

4. really, i think the treatment u had in Thomsom was very largely due to ur gynae. cos judging from ur gynae's conduct, i dont think Thomson gets very good instruction from him.

anyway i hope you are feeling ok now. congrats on the arrival of ur princess! :wong19:

Last edited:

kittyyeo

i gave birth in TMC and i actually exp placenta previa... i went thru c-sect... cuz placenta previa cannot give birth thru normal delivery... for my case... is abit complicated cuz my placenta actually cover the place where they are going to cut thru... so blood was prepared and all the necessary... i did ask if i can use normal delivery... but gynae did say is a nono... so i dun understand how come ur gynae told u the other way round... as for the stays experience there... so far very good... cause i did admit to their 4 bedded ward during preg... as i am a like sleeper... i cannot slp well... unlike ur experience... the nurse there was pretty kind to me... but i realized their service for 1 bedded and 4 bedded is kind of different... when i was admitted to 4 bedded... i experience their slow service... but when i gave birth i stayed in their 1 bedded ward... the service was real good... to the extend i actually miss the nurse there... i guess is due to the number of patients vs nurses ratio... anyway congrats on ur new born... do source for a good gynae the next time round...