Mynamar Maids

veronica

Anyone currently hire the above? Can share your experience?

I know when the 1st few batches came 2-3 yrs ago, there were lots of problems. Either they are not per their bio-data (cannot speak english though bio-data mentioned yes), culture difference, difficult to adapt etc. But now I don't know if employers still have problems?

Recently Indo maids salary has increased to $350 !! So now trying to find other options to cut a little cost...

mar_mum

Anyone currently hire the above? Can share your experience?

I know when the 1st few batches came 2-3 yrs ago, there were lots of problems. Either they are not per their bio-data (cannot speak english though bio-data mentioned yes), culture difference, difficult to adapt etc. But now I don't know if employers still have problems?

Recently Indo maids salary has increased to $350 !! So now trying to find other options to cut a little cost...
A lot depends on what you require. Do you want experienced maid or inexperienced ones? For myanmar inexperienced maid, they are really inexperienced cos they come from village. They can't communicate with us and are generally quite slow paced. Can't cook also. Starting pay also $340.

veronica

A lot depends on what you require. Do you want experienced maid or inexperienced ones? For myanmar inexperienced maid, they are really inexperienced cos they come from village. They can't communicate with us and are generally quite slow paced. Can't cook also. Starting pay also $340.
Hmm...salary no much diff leh. But I got some agents told me their starting pay around $320 and most fresh ones also can speak good english as some were even graduates. (In terms of this, they are better than fresh indo)

But I heard alot of bad comments too last time so not sure now are they ok?

elmo493

I never encounter Mynamar maids before but I do have colleagues from there. All are graduates. English- will still face some problem because they think that we speak too fast. I need to slow down when we talk to him. But there is one merit point is that they really got the patience.

I would still prefer philipiness as communication is not a problem and they seems to be more organised.

Hmm...salary no much diff leh. But I got some agents told me their starting pay around $320 and most fresh ones also can speak good english as some were even graduates. (In terms of this, they are better than fresh indo)

But I heard alot of bad comments too last time so not sure now are they ok?

MsKoh1973

I got a Mynamar maid, just send her back to agent in Dec 08. Yes, I agreed, most of Mynamar maid are more highly educated, but as they are more educated, they have higher ego, most of them work in their home town as teachers, salesgirl, clerk etc, when come here, they need to work as maid and do general house cleaning, they can't take it.

They have very high pride and ego, my mynamar maid was not up to our standard, but we still kept her as we pity her, she was transferred once before. She told us she need to eat alot of rice, her x-employer always poke her head when she eat as rice is expensivel

Everyday, we let her eat as much as she wants, we even cook extra rice in case she hungry, we let her eat 5 meals aday (2 tea break). Instead of working hard for us, she everyday daydream, when she hang clothes, she will sometimes stare at the window for very long times, at nite, about 8pm, if she think she had finished all the chores, we wanted her to sit besides the kids or play with the kids, she will slowly drifted to the window and stared blank again.

When told her to go sleep, instead of sleeping early, again, she go inside the room but stare at the window, its really scary.

My neices and daughter don't like her because they can't communicate with her, Mynamar are good at written english, but not at talking or listening english, so unless you type out a duty roaster for her (which we do), you will faint before she finally understand what you want her to do.

Becos my neices don't like her, I put my neices at after school care to cut down the contact, she complaint she can't sleep with the kids becos they turn about too frequent, she can't sleep well, so I changed her room, let her sleep with my sister in law. So she only need to do house cleaning, washing and ironing cos kids are at school or childcare, my father will do the cooking. I stay in a 5I at Geylang Bahru, my sister divorced, she and her 2 kids and my father stay in my house.

After awhile, my maid told me she like the work, but then she felt that my sister don't like her, so she not happy working at my house, she wanted to go back to agent. I tried to explain to her, she so far come to singapore to wk, keep changing employer, her loan keep increasing, then when will she get her pay. She say never mind.

She only "feel" that my sister don't like her, but I am her employer, we never abuse her, try our best to accomodate her, maybe we compromise her too much, so much so that she thought I could give up my sister becos of her. When my sister buy cake as tea break for her, she throw the cake on the table, use the side of her eyes to see my sister and told her she don't like cake. But when I give it to her, she take it happily.

So in the end, I grant her the wish and sent her back to agent. So far, my husband's colleage, my fren had changed their mynamar maids to indo. My fren told me, she treated the maid well, but after sent back, she told the agent my fren torture her, never feed her etc.

If you wanted to take a mynamar maid becos of that few $10 different, tell u, u better think carefully, becos every time u transfer maid, although you can transfer the loan to the next one, but your insurance can only claimed back 30%.

Tried not to take transfer maid. My new maid is a indo maid, she wk in saudi for abt 5 yrs, now coming to abt 2 months, so far so good. Think her ang mo better than my previous mynamar maid.

Last edited:

MsKoh1973

One more thing to add, I even give my ex Mynamar maid english tuition of about 1 hr, 3 times a week, see how ungrateful she is.

aby

I got a Mynamar maid, just send her back to agent in Dec 08. Yes, I agreed, most of Mynamar maid are more highly educated, but as they are more educated, they have higher ego, most of them work in their home town as teachers, salesgirl, clerk etc, when come here, they need to work as maid and do general house cleaning, they can't take it.

They have very high pride and ego, my mynamar maid was not up to our standard,..

instead of working hard for us, she everyday daydream, ..

When told her to go sleep, instead of sleeping early, again, she go inside the room but stare at the window, its really scary.

My neices and daughter don't like her because they can't communicate with her, Mynamar are good at written english, but not at talking or listening english, so unless you type out a duty roaster for her (which we do), you will faint before she finally understand what you want her to do.
The above I agree totally with Ms Koh1973..

Our 1st maid was from Mynmar. The 1st impression were ok but as days passed, communication is really a big big problem. She's really good in writing neatly but stare blankly when we speak to her.

Seems to us her only job is to please me. She kept staring in my direction and smile readily whenever there's eye contact. The rest of stuff happening around her she's totally unaware.

She's very raw. Don't even know how to fry egg.

Yes ego really big. And cannot cope with simple work too. And told us she actually came to Singapore to "experience life.."

<faint faint>

Sent her back to agent after she said she wanna goes home despite there's crisis in the country.. She works only for 3 months plus (Mar ~ May 08). I cook meals for her the 3 months plus!

Just sharing our experience..

MsKoh1973

Ya, anything my mynamar maid don't understand, she will just smile, until she do wrongly, then you know she don't understand your instruction.

But if every time u asked her to repeat after you give the instruction, you will faint, cos u don't know what she is talking. That's why we type out a duty roaster, completed with appendix on details of work she needs to do cos she is better at reading english than listening or talking ang mo. Even my 4 yo little gal talking ang mo is better than her.

One more thing, mynamar maid love to complaint and cry, everything don't like, complaint, regardless is real or their imagination (like she think my sister don't like her, she even wrote my sister a letter to confront my sister and told me she want me to arrange for meeting between her n my sister to sort out her thoughts).

After talking, she will cry, always have teary eyes, so when she cry, I also cry, to show her that she is not the only person with tear glands. hehehehe

Last edited:
Every morning my neighbour's Myanmar maid walks the 2 dogs in the park beside my house. Many times I see her not paying attention to where the dogs go or do. A few times the dog poo she never pick up, even though my hb tells her off, she ignore us. The other day even worse. She kicked one of the dogs!

My filipino maid told me her previous employer now have a Myanmar maid. Communication is often challenging & she very weird too. She often burst out in tears when told how to do her job. Also she daydreams alot. The family went for swim & her job was to watch the little ones. Instead, she left them unsupervised in the pool while she wonders off. Scary.

elmo493

Wow, mynamar maids so scary. No good story about them.
Smile. Yes, my colleagues likes to laugh too. It should be their culture.

MsKoh1973

Mynamar maids always smile and day dream and look blank.....and they unappreciative, love to cry and complaint. Think fresh indo maid may be better.

word of advise, also chx your animal sign for compatibility for hiring. The last 2 maid I have, one is goat, one is rabbit, don't get along well. This new one i get is from pig year, ok liao.

You can search internet for the animal compatibility.

elmo493

Are you born in year of ox. pig and ox ok lah.

where to get inf, what is the website

word of advise, also chx your animal sign for compatibility for hiring. The last 2 maid I have, one is goat, one is rabbit, don't get along well. This new one i get is from pig year, ok liao.

You can search internet for the animal compatibility.[/quote]

veronica

They have very high pride and ego, my mynamar maid was not up to our standard, but we still kept her as we pity her, she was transferred once before. She told us she need to eat alot of rice, her x-employer always poke her head when she eat as rice is expensivel

Everyday, we let her eat as much as she wants, we even cook extra rice in case she hungry, we let her eat 5 meals aday (2 tea break). Instead of working hard for us, she everyday daydream, when she hang clothes, she will sometimes stare at the window for very long times, at nite, about 8pm, if she think she had finished all the chores, we wanted her to sit besides the kids or play with the kids, she will slowly drifted to the window and stared blank again.

Becos my neices don't like her, I put my neices at after school care to cut down the contact, she complaint she can't sleep with the kids becos they turn about too frequent, she can't sleep well, so I changed her room, let her sleep with my sister in law. So she only need to do house cleaning, washing and ironing cos kids are at school or childcare, my father will do the cooking. I stay in a 5I at Geylang Bahru, my sister divorced, she and her 2 kids and my father stay in my house.

After awhile, my maid told me she like the work, but then she felt that my sister don't like her, so she not happy working at my house, she wanted to go back to agent. I tried to explain to her, she so far come to singapore to wk, keep changing employer, her loan keep increasing, then when will she get her pay. She say never mind.

She only "feel" that my sister don't like her, but I am her employer, we never abuse her, try our best to accomodate her, maybe we compromise her too much, so much so that she thought I could give up my sister becos of her. When my sister buy cake as tea break for her, she throw the cake on the table, use the side of her eyes to see my sister and told her she don't like cake. But when I give it to her, she take it happily.

So in the end, I grant her the wish and sent her back to agent. So far, my husband's colleage, my fren had changed their mynamar maids to indo. My fren told me, she treated the maid well, but after sent back, she told the agent my fren torture her, never feed her etc.

If you wanted to take a mynamar maid becos of that few $10 different, tell u, u better think carefully, becos every time u transfer maid, although you can transfer the loan to the next one, but your insurance can only claimed back 30%.

Tried not to take transfer maid. My new maid is a indo maid, she wk in saudi for abt 5 yrs, now coming to abt 2 months, so far so good. Think her ang mo better than my previous mynamar maid.
Yes I have heard alot of bad comments from friends too. When i was scouting for maid 3yrs ago, many agents told me to consider Mynamar maids (that time I think they just took in Mynamar nationality maids). I was quite skeptical when I saw their bio-datas. All so impressive with degree holder. SOme even asked their maids (in their office that time) to read the newspaper infront of me and communicate with me. I didnt take any of them because I found them too "young" looking and too small build (some have features I am not comfortable with...sorry no offence).

Luckily I didnt take cos I heard that there were many many problems with the new batches of Mynamar maids.

Now almost 3 yrs have past, I am once asked to consider Mynamar maids. I do not know their standard now since its been years and thats why I post this thread to gather feedback.

hahaha the conclusion is, the problems still exists !!

I think I rather consider PHL now since both Indo and PHL salary are almost the same. At least for fresh ones, PHL can communicate easier..

MsKoh1973

Hi elmo, you can get the info from the followings website:

http://www.chinesezodiac.com

Chinese Horoscopes - The Rat

The first one is check compatibility, second one is to analyse the character by animal sign and horoscope (chinese + ang mo). hope it helps.

Please try to check compatibility will as many pp in the house as possible, don't forget children and elderly, cos if they cannot get along with the maid, also alot of trouble.

mar_mum

Myanmar graduates doesn't mean their Eng is better. They don't like to ask when they don't know things and yes, they always look blank when you ask them things.

I tried to train mine for almost 5 months but she still forget this forget that, then cannot handle my children. I even have to teach her how to play with them.

No choice, got to return to agent and change to an experienced Indo maid. Now my ex-myanmar maid waiting for someone to take her. But guess what? She say she don't wanna take care of children or elderly. Then she still give an attitude when people interview her. I thought is cos chemistry problem with my kids so I am trying to 'advertise' for her but who knows she is trying to be funny.

MsKoh1973

They r like tat, unappreciative.

In addition, Mynamar maids bring many balang balang, tat time I am agency waiting, those new ones bring one super big case and bags. My ex mynmar maid bring along many medicine, powerder type , pills, tooth picks etc. I kept for her, cos I don't know what they are, none are in english. When she need it, I give her and she take it in front of me.

I scare if I no keep for her, scally she buay song, add to my water and poison me.

Got one time, I left her at home alone, when come back, didn't notice she left her religious book and chain on my sofa, ai yo, I sat on it.

When I asked her to feed the children, she watched tv until she forget and my gal waiting, I have to remind her to concentrate. wow biang!!!

elmo493

Hi, Thanks for the infomation.

Hi elmo, you can get the info from the followings website:

http://www.chinesezodiac.com

Chinese Horoscopes - The Rat

The first one is check compatibility, second one is to analyse the character by animal sign and horoscope (chinese + ang mo). hope it helps.

Please try to check compatibility will as many pp in the house as possible, don't forget children and elderly, cos if they cannot get along with the maid, also alot of trouble.

xuanmummy

I have 2 myanmmar maids. Previous maid was an Arts graduate in Myanmar. She picks up English fast and can commuincate well with the children. Hardworking and pleasant but forgetful. We overlook on that fact as my daughter likes her very much. She teaches my children how to draw. Left after 2 years to set up her own business back home. 2nd one and present, 38 years old. Stubborn and very forgetful. Commuincation is very bad. Lazy but at times considerate. Due to age, she sometimes will give an attitude when you tell her off on certain rules & regulations. On the whole, my experience with them is still ok. Though they are slow and bad in communication, they do not have emotional problems like indo maids and can cope with the pace.

Haizz!! I just sent my Myanmese maid back to the agency this morning!! Lesson number 1: Do Not Get Graduate Maid. This Myanmese gal was also a Yangon graduate, writes quite neatly but cannot speak or listen very well. She does not know how to cook at all and do any housework when she first came. We then arranged for my inlaws' existing Myanmese maid to coach her which has both good and bad repercussions as a result. Good side is because the other one is already very experienced (well-trained by my inlaws), taught her how to do housework and later cook porridge for my new baby then. Bad thing we realize later is they share information (teach each other) as the older one taught my maid her 'rights'. Then her boyfriend came to Singapore to work!! She started wanting to take leave and every two three months show me and my mother especially her sour face. Her only saving grace was that she was very good with my son! Could tell she enjoyed playing and taking care of him. And she was very detailed and followed our specific instructions. Howver, every two three mopnths, she will start showing stinking face, thinking of finding anither job like salesgirl to make money and less tedious for her. We always speak and 'discuss' with her, telling her it's ok if she wants to quit, so long as she gives us 1 month to find replacement. Her another big problem is she lies without blinking her eye!! Haizz. Anyway, all the above mentioned points about graduate Myanmese maid souned really familiar!! Unappreciative, stubborn, pride, communication problem, can't cook. The last straw was that she 'suan' my mother again and again and denied that she threw something she was not supposed to discard. Finally, after one year, I decided that enough is enough! It was actually my husband who could not make up his mind to 'sack' her earlier as she was really good with our boy. Siannnn. Anyway, we also heard too much about Indo and Fili maids that we have decided after this first maid, we are going back to part-time cleaning of house and a part-time babysitter to come to our house to take care of out young baby. My neighbour is actually having same problem of finding good enough babysitter. The Govt should perhaps focus on providing quality and qualified childcare, infant care services so that parents can be rest assured when they leave for work. Perhaps then more couples will be more comfortable with having more children...

Autum

We used to hire a Mynamar maid for my grandma. It's a scary thing to ever hire a Mynamar maid. I still remember on that day before when we sent her back, this Mynamar maid went downstair to cry then come back and hide in her room and sleep!!! She even scream at the children (my nieces and nephew). So we immediately ask her pack her things and send her back to the agent.

Be it a Indo maid or a philippines maid, all cant be trusted. It is not easy to get a good maid nowadays. Especially if you hire any maid that is graduate. Like the current one we are hiring now. We decided to send her back to agency by end of the month once the replacement is here. Why?

1) My 2nd nephew, 11 yrs old is very observant. He is the one who told us that this maid got problem. I thought he is still young and anyhow say. We asked what happen. He said, this maid always eat alot. To be exact, she will take those "good parts" e.g. breast meat for chicken or duck, tail and the cheek of the fish and always left those bones for the kids. We monitor and found out that it's true and she dont ask for permission before she eat anything. No wonder my little niece always complaint there are no more her favourite parts of a particular dish. Children's sweets are always missing.

2) Ever since my 2nd nephew told us abt her and we monitor her and found out her selfish behaviour, we told her off and said must at least wait for the kids to finish before she take her meals. She knew it was my 2nd nephew who tips us, she became to hate him very much. There was once, my 1st nephew chinese homework left on the desk unpack. We were playing monopoly on the floor while the homework was left on the desk. Just before we finish the game for dinner, she came in to pack the table. So coincident that day my 2nd nephew will be having his chinese tuition. She must have thought that belongs to my 2nd nephew. Guess what? Once page was missing! No matter how we find that page, it is no longer anywhere!!! Even if misplaced somewhere, it should be still in the room! When we go look at the rubbish bin, the rubbish bin is empty!

3) She mop the whole house floor with one pail of water no matter how many times my grandma tells her.

4) My little niece complaint that when the maid picks her up from school, it is always a challenge. She will talk to other maids and refused to bring her home and left her standing there to wait for her to finish her conversation. Or when she come out from school, my niece will walk over to call her "Aunty, let's go" and the maid will reply "5 mins, you chinese like talking, we philippines also likes to talk". What the ........ It happens so many times before my niece told us.

5) When my grandma asked the maid to do something, she will say wait. Then when we told her if you dont do it by today, Sir will scold. You know what's her reply? She replied "No, Sir very good, wont scold".

6) She always cry and say miss her daughter. And always not securely hang the clothes. There are so many times, the clothes got blow away by the wind and that she got to get it from downstairs.

7) Use our SK II products and Shiseido shampoo without asking for permission!

8) When we try to tell her, she gave excuses to cover herself and say no, not her. My baby boy and me are at my grandma house during this maternity leave period. I saw all the above repeat again and again. I still remember about the milk bottles case. She stack the milk bottle cap and steam and never ever wash the steamer. How do you make sure the cap is clean and sterilised when you stack the cap and steam? After she steam, the caps got stuck! I asked her, she say is my grandma. So immediately, I drag her out and told my grandma that the maid said its her who stack the caps and steam. My grandma is so angry and she say, i thought its grandma.

9) She is extremely forgetful! She placed the table cloth everywhere and forget where she put. There was once, she placed the table cloth in my baby's bag and when i bring home to wash, then i realised the table cloth was in the bag!!! When confronted her, she say not her.

I wonder what all these maids are thinking.