nappies, bumwear or moomoo kow?

felicity

i am aware of the many similar threads which i have read through... many are on bumwear. moomoo kow having some promo during coming motherhood fair at expo so very tempting... also seems like not suitable for newborn, so need to use nappies first in the first few weeks?

any reviews? thanks!

ast0212

If you have basic sewing skills I'd recommend you make your own MCNs! I am making my own now (after spending hundreds on different brands) and it is so much more economical to make your own! Once I get the hang of it I'll start making for friends and family too. Maybe even start my own little home business if it turns out well :p

ast0212

Google Hehe. there are heaps of tutorials online! You'll also need to find the fabrics to make the nappies which can be the hard part. You'll need polyurethane laminate (pul) for the water-proof layer, a stay dry layer to draw pee away from baby's bum like microfleece, and absorbent material to soak the pee. I make pocket nappies so I just buy the soakers from other websites instead of making my own. It can cost less than $10 to make one, depending on the fabric you use. Nice printed or minky pul cost more than plain. It really is fun and more rewarding! :D

MummiOfTwo

Hi,
We had the same dilemma when we chose to cloth diaper our baby from his birth 9 months ago. Finally we settled for bumwear baby prefolds and occassional sposies while outings. Then we knew there were safer cuter cloth diapers being made for babies that are available from Bumwear and Grovia.
I am glad that I have written all the experiences in my blog in order to share with all. If you would like, I can help to build a personalized stash for you based on our experiences. You can mail me.
These are some of our experiences and recommendations:
Clothdiapers 365: prefolds
Clothdiapers 365: newborn diapering
Ciao, All the best.

MummiOfTwo

Google Hehe. there are heaps of tutorials online! You'll also need to find the fabrics to make the nappies which can be the hard part. You'll need polyurethane laminate (pul) for the water-proof layer, a stay dry layer to draw pee away from baby's bum like microfleece, and absorbent material to soak the pee. I make pocket nappies so I just buy the soakers from other websites instead of making my own. It can cost less than $10 to make one, depending on the fabric you use. Nice printed or minky pul cost more than plain. It really is fun and more rewarding! :D

Hi, great, hats off to you. I would like to get in touch with you. please visit Clothdiapers 365 and share your details. Thanks, Ciao.

felicity

ast0212 hee ok i'll google for more tonight... can share where to buy the materials or will i find them in google too? thanks!

MummiOfTwo ur blog is very informative and helpful! thank u!

ast0212

Hi mummioftwo, where would you like me to share details?

Felicity, I get mine from an Australian site since i'm in Australia. Gbau.com.au. There's another great site that has lots of info, patterns and sell really pretty nappy fabrics: nappiescovered.com.au. :D

felicity

i'm not sure.. i'm aware that a lot of parents have bought from the seller but i worry about the quality or the dye, is it harmful? afterall... it's so cheap! or maybe just me being paranoid... cos i know not everything more exp = better... but for bb i wanna play safe so dunno to get or not...

ast0212

I think they are China imports, hence very cheap. can get them off sites like alibaba. I've heard they work reasonably well for some families and not for others. Quality isn't as great as they can leak and problems with pul appear after a while. The dye should be fine though. You could always buy and try.

Mummy to Baby V

One size diapers tend to fit better when baby's thighs are chubbier, perhaps about 5kg, 2-3 months old.

For first few weeks, baby usually pees and poos very frequently, so using traditional cloth diapers / prefolds + washable stay dry liner + a good XS/S diaper cover is economical and fits well.

Read my sharing at How to Successfully Cloth-Diaper a Newborn Baby | Mummy's Reviews
Revealed: Cloth Diapering Essentials - A Quick Guide | Mummy's Reviews

I've done many cloth diaper reviews, all categorized under Cloth Diapers | Mummy's Reviews

Happy cloth diapering! :)

felicity

thanks ast2012! and thanks Mummy to Baby very for the info!! i've been looking at some of your reviews linked from other threads too... very informative! thanks for sharing! :)

zaclin29

went to expo today and they have moomookow and bumwear booth..

both me and hubby prefer bumwear cos the material (diapers + insert) is much better ...
however the insert for bumwear is thicker so baby may look bulky...

salesperson told us that we can bring the diapers to their shop for any "repair" at cheap cost since their diapers are all manufactured in singapore... replacement of snaps are free... to replace the elastic cost ard $3...

The diapers take abt 2 hrs to dry indoor (cannot be sun out) but the inserts will take 24hrs to dry...
extra insert cost $8 each...

Mummy to Baby V

went to expo today and they have moomookow and bumwear booth..

both me and hubby prefer bumwear cos the material (diapers + insert) is much better ...
however the insert for bumwear is thicker so baby may look bulky...

salesperson told us that we can bring the diapers to their shop for any "repair" at cheap cost since their diapers are all manufactured in singapore... replacement of snaps are free... to replace the elastic cost ard $3...

The diapers take abt 2 hrs to dry indoor (cannot be sun out) but the inserts will take 24hrs to dry...
extra insert cost $8 each...
I've seen but not tried Bumwear, so can't comment on the diaper.
But the "cannot be sun out" part is strange. Drying under the sun is the most effective way to naturally "bleach" away yellowish poo stains. I've dried many brands and types of cloth diapers under the sun and they turn out fine.

Moreover, drying indoors take very very long, which means need more diapers to rotate.

Perhaps you should clarify why it can't be dried under the sun.

The no-nos are usually cannot soak PUL diapers (will weaken the laminate) and cannot wash in hot 60-deg water too often (will damage the laminate & elastic).

Last edited:

felicity

i wasn't told abt drying out in the sun part... but told the diapers should not be tumbled dry, while insets can be tumbled dry...

oh.. impatient me has gotten a set of 10 from bumwear at motherhood expo ytd! the lady boss is v nice and i was convinced.

thanks everyone for contributing to this thread! can keep it up for future mums... now i'm still expecting... if using bumwear i may be back to review too (if still hv time to forum, keke)

zaclin29

i wasn't told abt drying out in the sun part... but told the diapers should not be tumbled dry, while insets can be tumbled dry...

oh.. impatient me has gotten a set of 10 from bumwear at motherhood expo ytd! the lady boss is v nice and i was convinced.

thanks everyone for contributing to this thread! can keep it up for future mums... now i'm still expecting... if using bumwear i may be back to review too (if still hv time to forum, keke)
hi felicity, did u make any comparison with moomookow?

zaclin29

I've seen but not tried Bumwear, so can't comment on the diaper.
But the "cannot be sun out" part is strange. Drying under the sun is the most effective way to naturally "bleach" away yellowish poo stains. I've dried many brands and types of cloth diapers under the sun and they turn out fine.

Moreover, drying indoors take very very long, which means need more diapers to rotate.

Perhaps you should clarify why it can't be dried under the sun.

The no-nos are usually cannot soak PUL diapers (will weaken the laminate) and cannot wash in hot 60-deg water too often (will damage the laminate & elastic).

Hi,

He did mentioned that sunning will damage the PUL lining. So he advised for the diapers it shld be left to dry indoor.
Furthermore the diapers wont absorb much water while washing hence it will dry faster (thats what he claimed). Guess we will know when we start to use them. Maybe I will email them again to confirm this.

As stated in their wash & care instruction at : Wash and Care of Bumwear diapers

We normally wash our diapers at about 60 degrees celcius. You may hang your Bumwear diapers to dry (The sun naturally bleaches out any stains!) or put them in the dryer on LOW heat!

Im still expecting too so will give review again in few months time... :)