Natural Birth, Anyone?

Thanks for your advice, hanaabi. I keep tense all the time and worry about many such as the pain. I have no experience of my first pregnancy. I often scare myself and imagine I don't know when the baby will go out and if there is no one beside me, how can I deal handle it? (laughing....hahaha...) okay, I am fantasying. Yeh, it's stupid because my mom must be here with me, and DH as well. In fact I have no any danger, no accident.
No worry, I will do all I can and welcome my baby's coming.

By the way, one more question, Is water breaking the only sign that baby will go out?
Hi,

I was in labour with painful contractions for 6 hrs before i went to the hospital. By then , my waterbag still didn't break and my gynae hadto break it manually so that's not a good sign to tell if the baby is coming.

ast0212

Thanks hanaabi! I'll give it a go!! :001_302:

carolinaw, I reckon it is possible to give birth naturally and pain free. I did with my first and my spiritual belief played a huge part in it. Contractions were indeed intense but with giving birth I only felt tightness down there when bub was coming out, no pain. Got bub out in 5 pushes with no tearing or episiotomy...so I am hoping it will be quicker this time around!!

As for waterbag bursting, I'm not sure if it's a sign baby will come out sooner, but baby will definitely come out! My waterbag burst naturally around 13 hours into labour. Bub came out 2 hours later.

marmalade

Hi Dilys,

Congrats!

I did not use epidural. No drugs, not even gas were used because there was no need to! ;)

However, my positive birth experience is not by chance. I took up classes to learn about childbirth and how to manage pain naturally. I was also shocked at how much information that we ought to know are being with held from us!

For one, lying on the bed position is the worse position for a woman to give birth but that's the best position for docs to do their stuff. There are many far better positions that we can go into comfortably to give birth and much faster too.

From interacting with so many mothers, I finally found out that the deciding factors to a positive birth experience.

- It is crucial to go to the hospital at the right time and many couples (even non-first time parents) are still making that mistake.

I gathered that if mothers go to the hospital too early, the hospital starts timing them and they open themselves up to induction. Induction causes pain.

If they're transferred to the observation ward, it is likely to cause unnecessary stress on the mothers because it'll seem like they are competing in giving birth in some ways. Eventually, because the baby and your body is not ready for birth (hence no signs of labor), mothers ask themselves "what's wrong? why is it taking so long?". They start to wonder if there's something wrong with their bodies and that's when the hospital personnel comes along and suggest for "help" to move the labor along.

- Then it is the communication with the gynae and hospital, and whether they are supportive of the way you want to give birth or not. You know, some gynaes are pro-natural, some have high induction rate or Caesarean rate.

If we fall into the wrong hands then they'll have a different set of plans for us.

So, I really can't stress enough about how important childbirth preparation classes are!

Hi hanaabi thanks for sharing !
which gyanae were you with and which hospital did you deliver your baby ?

marmalade

Pain serves several purpose during labor.

A woman is bound to feel pain in a way that is different from the other pain she has ever felt so that she knows that she's in labor and need to go to a safe place to do so. It's about what we deal with it that matters the most, especially in the society today where women are smart and able to make decisions that will benefit them.

Feeling fearful will only increase the intensity of the pain they felt because they are tense. When this becomes a cycle and we all knows what'll happen.

Then comes the decision point as to whether to use drugs to ease the pain or allow the body to do it naturally on its own.

There are ways to ease pain naturally and it's worked for many women and me personally. It can be taught and learnt.

Having a doula by your side is also extremely helpful because I've seen far too many friends who went to the hospital too early and ended up with unnecessary stress, doubts about their capabilities in giving birth and hence subject to induction that causes pain because their bodies and babies are not ready. They were badly traumatized and whenever they see a friend who's pregnant, they will be sure to talk about the bad experience.

A doula act as a double, triple even quadruple assurance when it comes to birth in preventing parents from going to the hospital too early. She stays with you and your husband throughout labor to take care and shower you both with encouragements when the hospital nurses and doctors don't. She (especially if she is also hypnobirthing trained) can also remind you of the birth positions to move into and techniques taught during class to ease pain, etc..

Many people aren't aware of this but all these little things a doula do is extremely crucial to a woman achieving a good experience in birth and in most cases, if you want to have a drug-free as well, it is highly possible with the right doula around.

When you pick your doula, choose with care because I also have friends with bad experience with some. Whether introduced by friends or not, meet up with her to see if you like her before confirming your doula.

It's once in a lifetime for some and only a few times for others, so why not make the best experience out of it for both you and your baby? :)
what are the estimated charges of a doula ?

hanaabi

Thanks for your advice, hanaabi. I keep tense all the time and worry about many such as the pain. I have no experience of my first pregnancy. I often scare myself and imagine I don't know when the baby will go out and if there is no one beside me, how can I deal handle it? (laughing....hahaha...) okay, I am fantasying. Yeh, it's stupid because my mom must be here with me, and DH as well. In fact I have no any danger, no accident.
No worry, I will do all I can and welcome my baby's coming.

By the way, one more question, Is water breaking the only sign that baby will go out?
Nope. There are a handful of signs to tell that labor is starting. :)

Water breaking is only one of the signs to show that labor is going to start and it MAY NOT be immediate. While the hospital will ask you to go to the hospital immediately so that they can monitor you, mommies really do not need to rush to the hospital immediately. You're fine unless you notice anything unusual. Take a shower, grab a bite, relax and have some rest first.

Your hospital will start to time you when you're registered and it may take some time before your labor start. That will cause you to think that how come things are not moving along and that perhaps there is something wrong with your body. (What the doula can do here is to reassure you that you are good and everything is fine. When you're experiencing is normal. Labor just starts at different time for different people after the first signs of labour and the birth duration is different for everyone too. What you really should do is take a rest or do anything that you feel like it as long as it is sensible.)

Usually at this point, when induction is suggested, the parents will gladly take it.
(See why I said a Doula and someone who's not from the hospital is crucial during labour and birth? Medical staff are trained for what may go wrong and to act before anything can go wrong hence that's what they do.)

Allow labor to start on its own, at its own pace unless there is really an emergency. Remember - Everyone is different.

In some cases, the water bag didn't even break and the baby is born together with the water bag intact!

The No. 1 thing to do whether you're handling a crying baby, see a "sign" that labor is starting or handle anything at all is to "Take a Deep Breathe (if you must) and Stay Calm" first.

Fear and worry is usually caused by not knowing what to expect. It is the fear of the unknown that gets to women when it comes to giving birth, so find out as much information as you can and filter out those that will do you no good.

- How do you know if labor is starting?
- What should you do?
- When should you go to the hospital?
- What lies ahead when you reach the hospital? What are some procedures you can expect? How do the rooms look like?
- How to allow your body to work magic during birth naturally?
- How can your hubby and/or doula support you during labor to further enhance your experience?

When you have the answers to these questions, you'll feel more prepared and confident because you now know what to expect of birth!

Of course, these are only some of the topics I always share with the mothers under my care.

There are much more. :)

Last edited:

hanaabi

Hi hanaabi thanks for sharing !
which gyanae were you with and which hospital did you deliver your baby ?
Hi marmalade,

You're welcome! I'm just sharing because I believe that these are important information that pregnant mommies ought to know.

I gave birth at NUH and Prof Chong Yap Seng is my gynae.

I can't thank him enough because if it was any other gynae, I'll definitely be told that I can't have my baby naturally because she's too big for me, and my choices would be an early induction or a scheduled cesarean! Prof, on the other hand, honored the way I want to give birth and stuck to it.

hanaabi

what are the estimated charges of a doula ?
Well, the major doula organizations in Singapore charges between $1400 to $1850. The package usually includes prenatal and postnatal visits for the pregnant mother and the doula to build a relationship with each other so they can work even better during labor.

I believe there are also other independent doulas around but I'm not sure of their charges.

carolinaw

Nope. There are a handful of signs to tell that labor is starting. :)

Water breaking is only one of the signs to show that labor is going to start and it MAY NOT be immediate. While the hospital will ask you to go to the hospital immediately so that they can monitor you, mommies really do not need to rush to the hospital immediately. You're fine unless you notice anything unusual. Take a shower, grab a bite, relax and have some rest first.

Your hospital will start to time you when you're registered and it may take some time before your labor start. That will cause you to think that how come things are not moving along and that perhaps there is something wrong with your body. (What the doula can do here is to reassure you that you are good and everything is fine. When you're experiencing is normal. Labor just starts at different time for different people after the first signs of labour and the birth duration is different for everyone too. What you really should do is take a rest or do anything that you feel like it as long as it is sensible.)

Usually at this point, when induction is suggested, the parents will gladly take it.
(See why I said a Doula and someone who's not from the hospital is crucial during labour and birth? Medical staff are trained for what may go wrong and to act before anything can go wrong hence that's what they do.)

Allow labor to start on its own, at its own pace unless there is really an emergency. Remember - Everyone is different.

In some cases, the water bag didn't even break and the baby is born together with the water bag intact!

The No. 1 thing to do whether you're handling a crying baby, see a "sign" that labor is starting or handle anything at all is to "Take a Deep Breathe (if you must) and Stay Calm" first.

Fear and worry is usually caused by not knowing what to expect. It is the fear of the unknown that gets to women when it comes to giving birth, so find out as much information as you can and filter out those that will do you no good.

- How do you know if labor is starting?
- What should you do?
- When should you go to the hospital?
- What lies ahead when you reach the hospital? What are some procedures you can expect? How do the rooms look like?
- How to allow your body to work magic during birth naturally?
- How can your hubby and/or doula support you during labor to further enhance your experience?

When you have the answers to these questions, you'll feel more prepared and confident because you now know what to expect of birth!

Of course, these are only some of the topics I always share with the mothers under my care.

There are much more. :)
Thanks very much, hanaabi.
You are really a experienced mom. You share absolutely help me much. What I need now is experience, comfort, and guide. I say thanks to you, on behalf of my unborn baby. :D Hope you tell us more, we all are enjoying.

carolinaw

You're welcome, carolinaw. I'm glad that my sharing helped you and (I hope) other mommies. :)
Of course, you did. Hey hanaabi, is it true that you can have a bowel movement while you are giving birth? I have heard that this can happen. My friend (pregnant too) ask me if taking a laxative is safe at this point? if she "cleansed" herself she 'll be ok for the delivery? if she just limit what she eat during the last few days, will it not happen?
http://www.mummysg.com/forums/members/hanaabi/

hanaabi

Of course, you did. Hey hanaabi, is it true that you can have a bowel movement while you are giving birth? I have heard that this can happen. My friend (pregnant too) ask me if taking a laxative is safe at this point? if she "cleansed" herself she 'll be ok for the delivery? if she just limit what she eat during the last few days, will it not happen?
http://www.mummysg.com/forums/members/hanaabi/
Yes carolinaw, it can happen and it's as natural as when we do it at any other times! It's ok and safe (just maybe embarrassing).

Most times, the body will take care of it and most moms (if they have a bowel movement) would have passed all their stools during early labor.

It is best not to take laxative because with or without it, your body will pass stools when it needs to. Giving birth is a very natural process, so you don't have to do anything special. Please eat and drink as per normal because you need to be well hydrated and you need the energy to give birth. Dehydration and lack of energy is what gives problem during labor!!

I didn't pass any stools during my labor or when I gave birth. To be honest, you'd be totally focused on birthing your baby by then that you won't care about much. Just let it happen. It's fine. Your baby will be fine too because there'll be people around to take care of things for you.

You just focus on birthing your baby! :D

By the way, I just started a FaceBook Group called "Ask the Birthing Professional!" so that all pregnant moms can come together and have your questions addressed.

Feel free to join!

Sweetoothz

hey ladies,
im only into my 17 week but i am thinking abt giving birth already!! what worries me how bad is the pain gg to b. n how and what will happen in the delivery room itself on that day. eventho i've watched alot of deliveries on telly but i'm sure its gg to b alot diff from real life. im a very detailed person and so it kills me not knowing what's gg to happen on that day..

ast0212

Hi hanaabi, I have a question and hope you can help me because I haven't been able to find the answers anywhere...

With my first pregnancy my blood pressure was normal throughout, and only during labour it went up and baby and I had to be monitored throughout labour. I heard high blood pressure is dangerous for baby and I didn't know at that time. I was really calm throughout the labour as well. Is there any reason why blood pressure goes up during labour, and is there anything to prevent it from happening? I really hope it doesn't happen again with this baby.

Thanks in advance!!

hanaabi

hey ladies,
im only into my 17 week but i am thinking abt giving birth already!! what worries me how bad is the pain gg to b. n how and what will happen in the delivery room itself on that day. eventho i've watched alot of deliveries on telly but i'm sure its gg to b alot diff from real life. im a very detailed person and so it kills me not knowing what's gg to happen on that day..
The telly can indeed poison us and implant a lot of unuseful thoughts sometimes. Birth has been an amazing experience for me because I made it so. You can too. :)

Like I've said, not knowing what's going to happen is what built fear within birthing mothers.

I'm in the midst of organizing a get-together to share with moms more information about "How You Can Have a Comfortable Natural Birth Too" so if you'd like to come, please feel free to.

All moms are welcome to join.

Just let me know so I can save you a seat. ;)

hanaabi

Hi hanaabi, I have a question and hope you can help me because I haven't been able to find the answers anywhere...

With my first pregnancy my blood pressure was normal throughout, and only during labour it went up and baby and I had to be monitored throughout labour. I heard high blood pressure is dangerous for baby and I didn't know at that time. I was really calm throughout the labour as well. Is there any reason why blood pressure goes up during labour, and is there anything to prevent it from happening? I really hope it doesn't happen again with this baby.

Thanks in advance!!
Hi ast0212,

I don't have a direct answer for you just yet as there are many possibilities to this.

It's definitely worth investigating and I'm glad that you asked so that we can all learn here.

I have some questions for you that will help in the investigation.

- Did the labor start on its own?
- How is your pregnancy diet like? (Consisting of healthy food and drinks?)
- Did you ask you gynae about it and what did he/she say?

ast0212

Hi ast0212,

I don't have a direct answer for you just yet as there are many possibilities to this.

It's definitely worth investigating and I'm glad that you asked so that we can all learn here.

I have some questions for you that will help in the investigation.

- Did the labor start on its own?
- How is your pregnancy diet like? (Consisting of healthy food and drinks?)
- Did you ask you gynae about it and what did he/she say?
Hi hanaabi, answering your questions

- Labour started on its own. I went to hospital about 6.5 hours after I started feeling regular contractions, when contractions were about 4 minutes apart. They kept me there for observation because of high blood pressure otherwise would have sent me back home.
- My pregnancy diet was quite healthy. I ate lots of potatoes due to craving for anything potato.
- I asked the midwives at that time but they didn't have an answer, only that it can happen. I didn't have any doctors at my birth, just midwives.

I'd love to know so as to prevent it from happening again...but so far I haven't found anything :(

felicia86

We will be given Fleet enema to clear our bowels before delivery, so no need to take laxative, dont think its safe.

cel.lea

[ I always share with the mothers under my care.

There are much more. :)[/QUOTE]

hi hanaabi

u mentioned sharing info/knowledge with mummies under your care, what do u work as?

i have 3 kids. my first 2 pregnancies uses gas mask & injection on my thigh, they r painful but fufulling experience. they took the same amt of duration, 6 hrs to give birth. my 3rd one has a shorter time, fm contraction to birth, 3hrs. no injection no epi, only gas mask.

my hubby said the gas mask is my best friend & he took a pic of it to safe keep.

what i wanted to say is, labour is no easy work, it is definately painful but i had gone thru it & succeeded. hope mummies out there keep a positive mindset & keep it up

Hi I'm a Newbie!

Firstly congrats to new Mummies out there. My 2 kiddos wen thru Normal Delivery.
I didn't took any epidural for both, except was given the "thigh jap" (sorry donno wats its called). Both kiddos was overdue...so got to induce..

Yeah used the gas mask, but it didn't work for me though. :( My 1st ones was about almost 10 hours of labour pain, she weigh 3.72 kg, while my 2nd ones, was faster, like 4 hrs of labour pain...and weighs 3.5kg...

Agree wif Worth yLady, labour is no easy work but it's a rewarding effort wen you see your "bundle of joy".
To all Mummies whoz going to giv birth, just give your best! Think positive!

Last edited:

carolinaw

Yes carolinaw, it can happen and it's as natural as when we do it at any other times! It's ok and safe (just maybe embarrassing).

Most times, the body will take care of it and most moms (if they have a bowel movement) would have passed all their stools during early labor.

It is best not to take laxative because with or without it, your body will pass stools when it needs to. Giving birth is a very natural process, so you don't have to do anything special. Please eat and drink as per normal because you need to be well hydrated and you need the energy to give birth. Dehydration and lack of energy is what gives problem during labor!!

I didn't pass any stools during my labor or when I gave birth. To be honest, you'd be totally focused on birthing your baby by then that you won't care about much. Just let it happen. It's fine. Your baby will be fine too because there'll be people around to take care of things for you.

You just focus on birthing your baby! :D

By the way, I just started a FaceBook Group called "Ask the Birthing Professional!" so that all pregnant moms can come together and have your questions addressed.

Feel free to join!
Thanks,hanaabi. I will pass your answer on my friend. I am curious too about what's your work because you know so much like professional doula or doctor. I have so many questions about my first pregnancy so now feel better now because you can release my tensity and comfort me much.