Natural delivery after c-sec?

budgetmoms

My first baby was breech so went for c-sec. I want to have natural delivery for my second one but read somewhere that I need to wait for 3yrs for my stomach to be fully hardened. Is it true?

Any mummies have gone through natural delivery after c-sect? How long after your c-sec?

Mrs Xie

My fren's first delivery thru C-sec, Doc told her if she gonna hv #2, would hv to wait till 2-3 yrs before other C-sec can take place, cos to prevent the skin getting thinner and thinner.... Hmm.... does that mean she can't give birth naturally again? I think so... But it's important to consult your gynae....

maya2715

Hi Budgetmoms,

Just sharing my exp. My first was a c and well surprisingly soon after no. 2 followed. Though the gap was very close, my gynae advised me to do another c as well. Since mine was very close I can understand. But she told me once you do c, it is not advisable to try normal. In my case bcos, my first I did go in for normay, but after 17 hrs, gynae said to go under the knife.

I suggest you discuss with your gynae, esp if he/she did your first delivery. It will be easier, cos they would understand and explain.

All the best and congratulations!

:Dancing_wub:

jopeck

BMSG Moderator
I know of a friend who just had a normal delivery after 2 c-sections! She found the right doctor, did a lot of reading up by herself - educated and informed herself of her choices and options, and chose to use hypnobirthing to help the whole process. I was very amazed at her birth story... it sounded so lovely and she was so pleased that she had achieved what she worked really hard to get.

So yes it is possible. Off hand, I don't know that there is a recommended time lapse between babies. I do know that breech births don't need to result in c-sections... my ds1 was a breech baby that arrived normally with no c-section. I found a gynae who was willing to work with me on this goal.

My 1st was a c-section due to breech. Tat was last yr July 2006.. Now I am expecting my 2nd one EDD Apr 08 and would like to try for normal.. My gynae is all for it tat is if it is not a breech one again.. My gynae din mention anything negative lei... Hopefully I can try for normal dis time.. Really wanna feel wat it is like...

budgetmoms

My 1st was a c-section due to breech. Tat was last yr July 2006.. Now I am expecting my 2nd one EDD Apr 08 and would like to try for normal.. My gynae is all for it tat is if it is not a breech one again.. My gynae din mention anything negative lei... Hopefully I can try for normal dis time.. Really wanna feel wat it is like...

Wow...congrats! That's quite fast. My first was born Oct 2006 and now thinking of having the 2nd. Actually that's what my first gynae told me as well but somehow I don't really 'trust' him. In fact I'm thinking of changing gynae for 2nd opinion. I honestly don't wanna go through another c-sec.

vandia82

Hi,

My 1st was c-section due to not able to push out... (long story) I gave birth to her in april '05. I just gave birth to my second girl early oct this yr, natural birth... (duration between both 2 yrs plus)

It's still possible to go for natural after c-section, but the first thing is to have your gynae approval/help loz. I told my gynae that I wanted natural delivery for the second one badly, therefore she tried helping me with it.

budgetmoms

Hi,

My 1st was c-section due to not able to push out... (long story) I gave birth to her in april '05. I just gave birth to my second girl early oct this yr, natural birth... (duration between both 2 yrs plus)

It's still possible to go for natural after c-section, but the first thing is to have your gynae approval/help loz. I told my gynae that I wanted natural delivery for the second one badly, therefore she tried helping me with it.
Hi vandia, comparing the two, which one would you opt?

maine78

Wow...congrats! That's quite fast. My first was born Oct 2006 and now thinking of having the 2nd. Actually that's what my first gynae told me as well but somehow I don't really 'trust' him. In fact I'm thinking of changing gynae for 2nd opinion. I honestly don't wanna go through another c-sec.
budgetmoms, care to share why u don't wan to go thru another c-sec?

jopeck

BMSG Moderator
If you really don't want to go through another c-section... do your homework. I'm serious. Find a gynae who has done vbacs (viginal birth after c-section) before and is comfortable doing it. Check his/her track record - what's the %age of c-section births they do. Some will say "yes yes I support vbac but when the time comes, they strongly 'suggest' another c-section. Find out about what the pros and cons are for vbacs and also methods you could use to help facilitate a 'successful' vbac. Off hand, I'd say try here for a quick write up and links to more resources.

best of luck! and let me know if you have any other questions!

budgetmoms

budgetmoms, care to share why u don't wan to go thru another c-sec?
Hi maine, I went through epidural c-sec (fully awake) and I could feel the gynae tugging n pulling my tummy till I dunno if I fainted or cos of the anesthetic!! It was the pain that was unbearable after that. Thank God the pain seemed to disappear for a while when I look at my then newborn baby. Took me more than 2 weeks I think to feel comfortable. My baby is 1yr old already and sometimes I can still feel some light 'pins n needles' around that area....it could be my own mind playing tricks on me...:embarrassed:

budgetmoms

If you really don't want to go through another c-section... do your homework. I'm serious. Find a gynae who has done vbacs (viginal birth after c-section) before and is comfortable doing it. Check his/her track record - what's the %age of c-section births they do. Some will say "yes yes I support vbac but when the time comes, they strongly 'suggest' another c-section. Find out about what the pros and cons are for vbacs and also methods you could use to help facilitate a 'successful' vbac. Off hand, I'd say try here for a quick write up and links to more resources.

best of luck! and let me know if you have any other questions!

Thanks jopeck for the info. How can I check if the gynae has done vbacs? Do I have to go through one by one? Then it will cost me a bomb for the consultation fee...??!!

Any other mommies who know any gynae who has done vbacs? Thx!!

maine78

Hi maine, I went through epidural c-sec (fully awake) and I could feel the gynae tugging n pulling my tummy till I dunno if I fainted or cos of the anesthetic!! It was the pain that was unbearable after that. Thank God the pain seemed to disappear for a while when I look at my then newborn baby. Took me more than 2 weeks I think to feel comfortable. My baby is 1yr old already and sometimes I can still feel some light 'pins n needles' around that area....it could be my own mind playing tricks on me...:embarrassed:
thanks for sharing.. i was intending to opt for c-sec if i'm having a #2. My 1st delivery was natural birth n my stitch wound took >2mths to recover (my stitches din't drop off or dissolve so hv to go bk to gynae to remove, also stitch area got blisters bcoz the stitches din't drop off after 3wks)

sleepymama

Hi,

I delivered my girl via epidural C-section and like budgetmoms, I felt the pulling and tugging so badly I was tearing! It was too scary! That was in 2000.

Then, for my second baby, my gynae said I could try for natural delivery..... she said only if the first two are delivered by C-section then all subsequent deliveries will also have to be C-sec. I was in labour and cervix was dilated till about 3cm.. but my boy passed muconium inside and was suffering from distress during the 2 hours I was in labour so I had to go for emergency c-section in the end!

I think it's better to wait at least a couple of years before TTC after a c-section. Need to give time for our muscles to heal to ensure we can take the next pregnancy weight and pressure.

And yes, I agree that it's important to get an experienced gynae who is confident and comfortable with vbac. budgetmoms, let us know which path you choose :) Congrats on your pregnancy! :)

vandia82

Hi vandia, comparing the two, which one would you opt?

Comparing the two, honestly, I think I will opt for natural delivery... though it hurts alot... (If afraid of pain, can opt for epidural also, so wont suffer too much during ND. But me went in too late didnt manage to take epidural)

Firstly, you get to heal faster and able to do more thing/move freely/breastfeeding also easier... After c-section almost 2 weeks cant walk properly, the first few days was even worst, need someone to help me move around... Even getting up from a lying position also need someone to be there. In the end, dare not lie down to sleep. Just semi lie down, leaning against the bed rest. (easier for me as I'm breastfeeding)

Hannah

My first son was born in Oct 01 via c section with epidural as labour failed to progress.

My second one was born natural with epidural in nov 04. I did went around asking a few gynaes on whether i could try for natural. One said no, another said will let me try.

It wasn't planned for a 3 yr gap. I did TTC for quite some time before i conceive again.

So i managed to find one who supports me in this. But i must admit that the episiotomy cut was equally painful. I was in pain for about a week, the first few days were simply unbearable.

jopeck

BMSG Moderator
asking around is a good way to go... for me, I'd recommend Paul Tseng (he's got a thread under gynaes/obs) or FM Lai. Both have experience in VBACs.

Dr. Paul Tseng
TLC Gynaecology Practice at Thomson Medical Centre
Tel: 62542878 Fax: 62546233
Email: psltseng@pacific.net.sg
Dr. Tseng also has a clinic at Woodlands and delivers at Thomson Medical Centre & Mount Alvernia Hospital
Dr. Lai Fon-Min
A Company for Women at Camden Medical Centre
Tel: 6333 6181 Fax: 6333 6198
Email: fm@acompanyforwomen.com.sg
Website: A Company For WomenDr. Lai delivers at Thomson Medical Centre, Mount Alvernia Hospital , Mount Elizabeth Hospital , Gleneagles Hospital and KKWCH.