Natural Tear or Episiotomy during delivery.

Still got a first degree tear from second birth no matter how I listened to OB telling me how to push...ended up with stitches again but maybe not as bad as first time.

lovepixie

Really?
So an episiotomy heals faster?

Sigh.
I was all for natural tear cuz I read that if u year naturally, u only tear where u need to.
Whereas an episiotomy cuts through the entire muscle, cutting more than necessary... :(

Read somewhere that some Docs do a routine episiotomy for first time mummies.
Don't wish that to happen!!

Maybe Perineal massage will help?
Mreow Mreow,

I bought a post natal massage set from a spa which include VCO oil with instruction to splash oil on perineum area during contraction so that it will minimize natural tear.. dunno if it works or not..

Mreow Mreow

Haix.

Juz discussed birth plan with Doc.

He said he usually does episiotomy for first time mothers...

Cuz he said our Asian Vags can't dialate to accommodate baby's head if it's our first child so he definitely has to do the cut... :(

Looks lk I Muz b prepared to be sliced....
Heh heh
*faint*

Don't worry! Not as painful as you thought. Initially I was super afraid of it, my friends all told me the most painful is the labour. Why I keep thinking of the cut. I really didn't feel the cut at all.

lovepixie

Cut n stitch back is better than stretch then can't shrink back? I keep thinking of rubber band when I think of this. Yikes

Lol! Hmmm the 1St urine is liKe yOu soak your wound in seawater. As for myself, I only start pooing after 5 days. Like you am scare it will be painful. It heals very fast in a blink as your distraction will be on pumping like a cow everyday. So, don't worry so much.

Nurul Z

Lol! Hmmm the 1St urine is liKe yOu soak your wound in seawater. As for myself, I only start pooing after 5 days. Like you am scare it will be painful. It heals very fast in a blink as your distraction will be on pumping like a cow everyday. So, don't worry so much.
wound soaked in seawater??? OMG. now i'm more scared. :wong31:

Our urine is abit salty kind but not as salty as seawater. It will be that kind of pain for 1St urine. For my pain threshold, I can say its bearable.

l0r3tTa

Hehe,
I just worried about
The recovery!!

Scared it'd hurt during poop or pee... :(

During my first delivery in Aug 2010, I think it was a natural tear for me as well, had slight infection. And I was also so afraid to pass motion, that I sat on the toilet bowl for the longest time ever. Haha....
I'm expecting no.2 now due in March 2013, and speaking of tears, it just reminds me of how it will be like having to dap the wound with the cleaning solution each time we go to the toilet. hahaha...

panpan

wound soaked in seawater??? OMG. now i'm more scared. :wong31:

it's painful to soak in salt water but it really helps with the wound healing!

I had my natural tear without episiotomy when i had my 3kg boy and i had 2nd degree tear despite doing yoga.. hahaha. But i guess it depends on the speed of delivery?

I read that if the skin is allowed to stretch slowly then there will be no tear but then again, it depends on how fast the baby wanna pop out!

Mine took abt a mth to heal. =X

Joyce Phoa

It's one of the scary things we hear from our friends, teachers, parents, sisters, etc. as we grow up. This is what I believe...

For the first baby, most women are cut unless your gynae practices otherwise. Even for the subsequent babies, many gynaes still believe that the scar is a weakness and will tear, and thus a repeat episiotomy should be done.

Many of us have a short perineum, with the anus being close to the fourchette. And not all women stretch well and stretch fast enough. (We have to produce the head quickly once the gynae arrives for the delivery. Push hard or you will get the vacuum or forceps, or c-section.) A cut is easier to stitch than a tear. Once we are cut, the outlet resistance is gone and the head comes out easily, so it does speed up the delivery. If you get an instrument delivery (like forceps), you will get a generous episiotomy so that there's more space.

Postpartum, we need to take care of the epi wound and clean it every time we go to the toilet for minor or major business. And the first bowel movement is a psychological hurdle, usually helped by stool softener and reassurance by the nurse.

The bottom will be different after the first round. My husband says it looks different too, like the two sides did not match well, and that the fourchette was not repaired properly. But it's OK for me lah -- no real functional problem! Some people get serious complications when the epi does not heal properly. Stitches burst, infection, stitch too tightly, painful intercourse, that kind of thing...

You don't feel the cut because there's anaesthesia. But if you get an LA injection there, you will feel the prick of the needle at first. And I think most husbands do not get to see the cutting as they are beside us when we are pushing, giving us support and assistance. I was too preoccupied with pushing and following instructions to pre-empt the epi but you know it was already done when you push out the head. You hear instruments before that so you sort of know lah. But your husband might know when we are being cut as he can see the gynae doing something with the scissors. I don't think the gynae will allow the husband to watch the actual procedure anyway. And the stitching after delivery takes some time as it is three layers. The gynae is supposed to give more anaesthetic, not just ask you if you can feel this...