Nausea and Vomiting in Pregnancy

firsttimedaddy

Hi Mummies and Daddies,

Chance upon this forum thus would like to share, discuss and seek your assistance on this issue. I have posted it in other forums but no reply as yet.

My wife is currently in her first Trimester and having bad nausea and vomiting symptom.
The doctor prescribed both diphenhydramine and Zofran(ondansetron)to my wife, later to be taken if the symptom persist after consuming the 1st drug.

However, as a Kiasu Dad in an internet savvy society, i went to google more on NVP and I thought probably i should share this with fellow Mummies and Daddies.

An extract

Guidelines published online August 19 by the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) and in the September issue of Obstetrics & Gynecology review the evidence on diagnosing and managing nausea and vomiting during pregnancy.

Among the new guidelines, replacing those from 2004, are updates on widely known treatments. The combination of doxylamine and vitamin B6, which was taken off the market in 1983, is back and has been proven safe and effective. ACOG says the combination should be considered first-line pharmacotherapy.

For ondansetron, the review includes a list of medications that patients taking the drug should avoid. Although some studies have shown an increased risk for birth defects with early ondansetron use, other studies have not, and the absolute risk to any fetus is low, according to the review. As with all medications, the risks and benefits should be weighed in each case.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/849872

I went to google further and found out The Canadian has being using a drug recommended which is safe for pregnancy since the 80s, called Diclectin and in U.S. it is called Diclegis (same company, same drug, different trade name)

I tried to google it in Singapore but i could not find any information. Any Mummies or Daddies know any Obstetrics that prescribed this product?
Thank you in advance!

Cheers

firsttimedaddy

So i tried to do some research and found an interesting study.
Thought probably i should share it.

https://www.dovepress.com/doxylamine-succinatendashpyridoxine-hydrochloride-diclegis-for-the-man-peer-reviewed-fulltext-article-IJWH

Anyway i am still in the midst of finding an Obstetrics who prescribed this drug.
It's better for my wife to have a proper diet and better quality of life during 1st trimester with the availability of safe recommended drug.
Moreover I read a mild morning sickness can become severe if ignored resulting in adverse effect such as hyperemesis. Will it also affect the womb?

Do kindly advice if anyone had been prescribed with Diclectin/Diclegis.
Thank you.

wendy79

Being a Mother of 2, and surrounded by many mummy friends around me, I do not encourage too much medications during pregnancy. I do not doubt the professionalism of doctor and their prescriptions. However I would like to recommend the use of certified pure therapeutic grade essential oils. I used to take medications during my pregnancy and I do feel the slight side effects of it. After being introduced to the above and seen friends using that during pregnancy and post natal, I highly recommend that, from easing of morning sickness to improving the quality of sleep. feel free to buzz me for any details, samples and free classes. No obligations

firsttimedaddy

Being a Mother of 2, and surrounded by many mummy friends around me, I do not encourage too much medications during pregnancy. I do not doubt the professionalism of doctor and their prescriptions. However I would like to recommend the use of certified pure therapeutic grade essential oils. I used to take medications during my pregnancy and I do feel the slight side effects of it. After being introduced to the above and seen friends using that during pregnancy and post natal, I highly recommend that, from easing of morning sickness to improving the quality of sleep. feel free to buzz me for any details, samples and free classes. No obligations

Thank you Wendy for the kind offer and great insight. My wife had tried aromatherapy, and it had only made the nausea worsen. I had bought the recommended essential oil flavour by babycenter.co.uk - peppermint, lemon, spearmint, lime, sweet orange and mandarin, however none work. I read Ginger essential oil is not recommended as it might lead to bleeding and trigger contractions.

From my understanding, the only drug indicated for nausea and vomiting and safe for pregnancy(categorized by the FDA as a category A drug (no evidence of risk to the fetus)) is this but Singapore do not have it. Anything you took during your pregnancy are not indicated for nausea and vomiting in pregnancy, the reason why you do not feel comfortable with it.
Just to share more information.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyridoxine/doxylamine

In Canada, the only approved antiemetic drug for use in pregnancy is Diclectin, which is a combination of 10 mg of doxylamine and 10 mg of vitamin B6 in a delayed-release formulation.
https://www.duchesnay.com/en/diclectin/patients

In U.S., the same drug is branded as Diclegis.
https://www.diclegis.com/en/what-is-diclegis/how-safe-is-diclegis

I asked our OB about it along with the articles I mentioned above. She was initially shocked and slightly apprehensive, however upon reading the articles, she agreed there is no drug approve for nausea and vomiting except for the stated drug. However she mentioned there is no distribution of Diclectin/Diclegis in Singapore thus she has no access to it.
She said she will check if she can the drug and get back to us.

NUH needed more time to get back to me.

Healthexchange(KKH/SGH) did not reply my email.

Anyway, a friend's friend told me there might be a doctor in Thomson hospital who dispense the stated drug indicated for nausea and vomiting in pregnancy. I going drop the clinic a call on Monday to find out more.
Will update along the way.

Have a great weekend
:)

wendy79

Hi I am sorry to hear that your wife did not have good experience with the oils she bought through the website. Will you mind PM me the brand that you bought? I hope u can give it a 2nd chance, as the brand that i m recommending is of pure therapeutic grade with no additional flavours and fragrances added. I can share more with you if you are willing to learn. We offer free, non obligated classes for both existing users and new users. We emphasis on education of using the oils. So not to worry, if after the session you and your wife are still not comfortable in trying the oils , it's perfectly fine. Do drop me a message