Nebulizer for cough & phlegm?

Monamacy

Hi Mommies,

Both my toddler & baby have cough & phlegm after recovering from flu. Was recommended to see Dr. Ang Ai Tin (Thomson Medical) so I brought them to Dr. Ang Ai Tin and was prescribed to use nebulizer & oral medication at home. Just wondering has anyone out there used this equipment on their kids before and how effective it is. Will this have any side effect? I only know asthma uses inhaler, didn't know that cough & phlegm needs it too.

Would love to hear any success stories in curing babies/toddlers cough & phlegm. Thanks.

andieluv2

I am a pediatric nurse. And yes. Sometimes we use nebulizers for bronchiolitis (chest infection:cough phlegm, wheezing in lungs, breathlessness) but it depends on wat medication is in the nebulizers. Usually asthmatic patients are on long term inhalers. But doesn't mean if u on inhaler means u are asthmatic. We do give ventolin inhalers to patient who are wheezing juz for a short term treatment say 5-10days. Once the breathless goes off can stop the inhaler Liao.

Hth and good luck.

Monamacy

Nebulizer for cough & phlegm?

Hi Andieluv, thx for your reply.
The inhaled medication for my baby is Ventolin, Atrovent & Saline. Beside inhaling, he was also asked to take oral Ventolin...is that too strong for a baby below 1 year old?

andieluv2

Hi Mommies,

Both my toddler & baby have cough & phlegm after recovering from flu. Was recommended to see Dr. Ang Ai Tin (Thomson Medical) so I brought them to Dr. Ang Ai Tin and was prescribed to use nebulizer & oral medication at home. Just wondering has anyone out there used this equipment on their kids before and how effective it is. Will this have any side effect? I only know asthma uses inhaler, didn't know that cough & phlegm needs it too.

Would love to hear any success stories in curing babies/toddlers cough & phlegm. Thanks.
Different medication have different side effects. If I not wrong they will usually prescribe pulmicort,ventolin and saline? Nebulizers are usually pretty effective and is better than oral medication as the inhaled medication goes straight to the airway unlike oral medication which by pass the stomach and metabolized by liver. Thus it's more effective, faster onset and less side effect. But the possible side effects I can think of is slight increase in heart rate, baby more active and maybe slight tremors. Otherwise its relatively safe. U can expect Slight relief of breathlessness in abt 15mins(yes. The onset is that fast.) and usually last abt 4hrs lidat for ventolin. So juz give according to the prescribed dosage and if u notice that child is getting more breathless, better seek medical attention.

andieluv2

The inhaled medication for my baby is Ventolin, Atrovent & Saline. Beside inhaling, he was also asked to take oral Ventolin...is that too strong for a baby below 1 year old?
Oh oki.. We do give babies ventolin atrovent and saline neb over my side. But usually in babies below 1yr we might give another nebulizers called adrenaline which is not available OTC. But it's really case to case basis. The doc gptta see the child in order to give the most appropriate treatment. Ventolin neb is for acute relief and oral ventolin might be for used for maintaining/prolonging of the opening airway effect thus reduce the breathless. I do see patients coming in with ventolin syrup but forgotten if we prescribe for babies below 1yrs old.

maichiang

Re: Nebulizer for cough & phlegm?

Hey there, mi boi is always given the same med wheneva we go kk emergency for his wheezing..i think its pretty common..mi boi is also prone to wheezing so the doc mentioned tt 1 more tym(cz we haf been like more den 4 tyms for wheezing), he will haf to be on the puff..once we even had to use it for a week, 4hrly..boi was it a struggle! we are usually given the neb..once or twice in the hospital n a bag full of med for home,haix..bt guess they know whats best for dem..they reali does help to ease their discomfort..

dloreangel

can i ask if hospital use omron? is omron good enough for us to use at home?
saw this here, but don't know whether to buy as only know Omron is good for blood presure, not sure abt nebulizers

Nebulizers omron

Sky Teo

Hi, I personally would prefer not to use western medicine nor nebulizer.
Have you considered using natural remedies like essential oil?

Would prefer to do lots of strengthening of the body's immune system rather than medicine.
I have two boys, aged 8 and 10.
I use Young Living essential oil to support their immunity and they are seldom sick.
Even when they are sick, they recover pretty fast.

don't worry, I'm not selling here.. just sharing what has worked for me.
you can email me at cupcakes13@hotmail.com if you would like more information.