Need advice... 21 mth old girl still do not speak

Lostkitty

Hi All Mummies

I have some queries/worries about my 21 mth old girl.

Till now, she only manage to speak a few words like" Papa, mama, popo & bubpo (Means bubbles when she point at the toy)" She will call when I ask her to but she dont really speak at her own. She hasn't enrol in any playground/childcare. I only bring her to music class once a week whereby she play with instruments and listen to music. All purely play for the moment. I did teach her how to say the word but she doesnt want to. She knows what is a "Bus" by pointint at it but she dont say it out. Is there any way that I can teach her at home to speak it up or let it at her own pace?

At the moment, I will be enrolling her to PCF nursery next year for the registration and so by the time 2015, she will start nursery. During this time, she mostly stay at home with my mother.

During her freetime, she watches and listen to VCD like Chuggington, Mickey mouse clubhouse and some educational VCD which teaches numbers.

I have also bought some storybooks for her but when I read it to her ,she will interrupt and flips the pages before I finish my sentence.

How can I help her to sit properly while I read the books to her?

How can I help her to speak words?

Please advice. Thanks.

Lepcha

Hi All Mummies

I have some queries/worries about my 21 month old girl.

Till now, she only manage to speak a few words like" Papa, mama, popo & bubpo (Means bubbles when she point at the toy)" She will call when I ask her to but she dont really speak at her own. She hasn't enrol in any playground/childcare. I only bring her to music class once a week whereby she play with instruments and listen to music. All purely play for the moment. I did teach her how to say the word but she doesnt want to. She knows what is a "Bus" by pointint at it but she dont say it out. Is there any way that I can teach her at home to speak it up or let it at her own pace?

At the moment, I will be enrolling her to PCF nursery next year for the registration and so by the time 2015, she will start nursery. During this time, she mostly stay at home with my mother.

During her freetime, she watches and listen to VCD like Chuggington, Mickey mouse clubhouse and some educational VCD which teaches numbers.

I have also bought some storybooks for her but when I read it to her ,she will interrupt and flips the pages before I finish my sentence.

How can I help her to sit properly while I read the books to her?

How can I help her to speak words?

Please advice. Thanks.

Don't stress yourself out on it. Your child seems to have a good grasp of understanding already since she can identify objects. My boy is also like that. He can says words but refuse to say it. I actually let him watch education videos from youtube which I think is better and more varied and also more interesting. After watching it he's able to say some alphabets, phonics and numbers, Chugginton seems a little tough for young toddlers.

Toddlers will interrupt reading since their attention span is short, it is really normal for them to interrupt reading. The only thing to do is to be persistent or wait for them to grow up a little.

Don't baby talk to her, speak properly and clearly, talk to her all the time and watching cartoons is the best time to explain and introduce words.

Don't give up, each child is unique and develops at their own pace.

Lostkitty

Hi Lepcha, thanks for your advice. She likes chuggington because of the train graphic and music. In fact, she seems to identify number "8" easily as I think is sounds like "papa".

Did you bring your boy to any enrichment class? I have taken my girl to Our Music Studio every week cos she likes to dance to music.

zc31

Every child's development is different. At least the child attempts to talk, unlike my friend's who kid is almost 3.

Qookie

I read that social interaction is best for babies and toddlers. Especially for kids under 2 years old, TV and computers don't allow them to learn as much as having human interaction with him/her.

CanCanMum

hi lostkitty, I guess every child develops differently and at different pace. My son spoke only at 30months (2.5 years old), before that was "eee eee aa aaa" when he asked for things....but Papa, Mama the basic ones he can pronounce. Since then, he has been talking non-stop and became very talkative hahaha....but I rather he talk then stay quiet = something is wrong! So I guess its up to her when shes ready to speak she will. Unless u suspect something is wrong then best to raise up during the next assessment check @ PD.

Lostkitty

Hi ZC31 / Qookie / CanCanMum

Thanks for all your reply. My girl is trying to absorb the words from us bit by bit now. Somehow she knows how to say "Xie" (Thank you in Mandarin) and abit of numbers. Perhaps I should teach her word by word.

However, I have another issue. My girl (Now 22 mths) seems to not listening to me recently and she doesnt want to take nap when me and my hubby take care of her during weekend. This is how it goes:

- Mummy and daddy ask girl girl if wanna sleep, she shake head and refuse to take nap in sarong. HOWEVER, when my mum take over during weekdays, she listen and quietly let my mum to carry her to sarong. Is she trying to bully us? My mum explaination is because we worked during weekday and hardly at home, so she used this opportunity during weekend to play with us. Is it true?

- My girl recently stick to her daddy pretty close and I was wondering what went wrong. She used to stick to me every moment and where ever I go, she will definately follow me. But now, she follow/stick to her daddy. Am I jealous? Yes somehow. Another part is Im release from her and can do my cooking/baking while she stick to her daddy. Is it true that girl will normally stick to daddy and boy stick to mummy?

Somehow I feel Im not a good mummy in coaching and teaching her. I can say sometime I have no patience at all but after a while, I cool down. How can I coax her to sleep during weekend? How am I regain my relationship with my girl?