need advice!! babysitter

skchok

hi, i have hired a babysitter to look after my girl day and night.

I send my girl over at about 7pm on Sunday night, and fetch her back at about 730pm on Friday night.

During weekday, i will pick up my girl at 2pm, then send back to nanny at around 7pm, from Tuesday to Thursday.

She charges me for $850.

Want to ask if i am over paying her or under paying her?

mag_huiling

hi, i have hired a babysitter to look after my girl day and night.

I send my girl over at about 7pm on Sunday night, and fetch her back at about 730pm on Friday night.

During weekday, i will pick up my girl at 2pm, then send back to nanny at around 7pm, from Tuesday to Thursday.

She charges me for $850.

Want to ask if i am over paying her or under paying her?
Dont think it's the matter of over pay or under pay. Normal rate should be about 800-900 for day and night. But since you're bringing back on the weekdays, why dont you negotiate with her?

Ya since the babysitter only taking care of your girl at night when dont u negotiate with her? or find another cheaper rate babysitter?

jo_mum

If based on the market rate, it is reasonable but since the nanny gets time off on most weekdays day time, I think $850 is a lot since the nanny is free on most of the weekdays daytime when there is most work to be done. Try negotiating with her and see what she says or get another babysitter who is willing to accept your offer.

stonston

I personally think you are underpaying.
Though it seems easy like your girl is not with her during weekday 2-7pm, it doesn't mean the job at night is easy too.
If your girl still wake up at night for night feeds, then the job is more demanding.

If your nanny hasn't asked for an increase, I think $850 is fine.

Think about it:
Typical nanny look after from 7am - 7pm, around 12 hours a day, 5 days a week. Total per week = 60 hours. Pay is usually $500-600.
In your case, nanny looks after from 7pm till 2pm the next day, that's 19 hours a day for 5 days a week plus additional 5hours on Fridays. Total per week = 100 hours. If pro-rate from market rate pay of $600: $1000.

diymummy

The infant care my son was in charges $1600 a mth for 7am-7pm care. $850 is a very good rate esp since you're not bringing your child home.

skchok

I don't mind paying her more if she is doing well in her job. Actually she is quite good. Just that sometimes she will complaint that she is tired. Then i thot of course taking care of baby is tiring. I am not sure if she is hinting for more. That's why want to check if i uder paying her. But i thot this is the market rate liao. So i am a bit eworry and feel uncertain when she says she is tired. But other thsn that, she is really quite nice.

jo_mum

Actually I think it all depends on individual. In my opinion, the market rate is 700 to 900 for overnight care. Last time I gave my nanny 700. Infant care charge higher rate because the nannies there are professionally trained and are considered certified baby caregiver plus there will be someone to supervise the centre n the nannies to make sure they do their job properly. Private nannies sort of work at their own pace n do what they want n we can't c anything. Like the last nanny of mine, gave md lots of problems in a short period of 3 mths, son kept getting sick, diarrhoea, she confined my son in his pram all the time even when in the hse, slp also in the pram! All these I found out when I went up to visit my son but said nothing as I try to give n take as nanny really difficult to find in my area. The last straw came when I brought my son bk on the weekends n saw mould on my son's sippy cup n I mean a lot of black mould. She didn't wash his cup for a week n let him drink mouldy water n the straw part was very oily. I immediately stop her service n became a stay home mum.

So it like really taking a risk when using the service of a private nanny n yet they mark up their price after those infant care started opening.