need confinement nanny in Melbourne (Australia)

Cloudino

Hi - there are lots of Aunty Mays but please do not use Aunty May teowyh@hotmail. She is from Penang. I had quite a horrible experience with her and usually do not write negative reviews, but I feel people should know. First time moms are always vulnerable. I hired her as I was quite desperate and did not have contacts - used her because of a recommendation from someone who used her only for 2 weeks. She likes overseas assignments as Chinese mothers are quite vulnerable without family overseas - she is not the conventional type of confinement nanny and in fact is not great. I will explain why here:
- She was irresponsible. She assured me she was prepared to travel if I delivered early, but she did not come. She made too many excuses. In the end, my husband and I did the set up on our own for two weeks, and she came in the third, while we were organised and doing a great job as first time parents.
- She makes simple 'zi char' meals. While tasty for some, it is very unhealthy and may not suit some people (I didn't like the convenience sweet sauces she uses). In fact, it will not help you lose weight. It may make you gain weight. My husband cooked for me consulting some confinement receipes online before she came and I felt healthier and better with his meals. I even lost weight, but re-gained after hers. She cooks these because she loves to eat such food herself. She does everything for her own convenience. I hinted that I preferred more protein but she doesn't seem to want to take that into account.
-She is not supportive of breastfeeding. She likes bottle feeding at night as it is easier for her. I did not have enough milk supply and she was not supportive of me breastfeeding, her topping up with formula feed and then me pumping (crucial in the first few weeks for mothers with low supply). She said it takes too much time (her time because she cares about herself) and she made me feel guilty about low supply and insisted on formula feeding the baby first thing. She told me to just pump at night while she bottle feeds - that way everyone ends early. She was so strong willed about it I gave in but didn't feel good.
-She is quite a braggart, always boasting about overseas assignments. In actual fact, one of her daughters is overseas and that's how she gets a lot of initial stints in the US. She tries to emotionally blackmail and manipulate you to extend her stay to suit her own private circumstances. She claims she receives ang bao etc so you give her a big one at the end. I ended up giving her an ang bao although my husband and I didn't like her (and he's super easy going) so it tells a lot.
- She force fed my baby and he vomited a lot when she was around. Right after she left, he started refusing his bottle because of his aversion and had a thing against milk for a long time (imagine at 4 months). We had to start him on solids very early (at 6-7 months) and he only recovered from his aversion over time as we do not get into battles over milk or food for that matter. Now he takes cow's milk and around 1 year he took formula milk quite well.
- She is very emotionally manipulative and you don't realise it until you reflect on it after some time. She brags a lot about how she has no reviews but she is great (no she is simply not well known - among Sg confinement ladies, she stands no chance). She is a vulture on poor overseas moms because you have no choice, you put up with her. That's why she prefers overseas assignments. She can call the shots (no grandparents around etc).

After this experience, I do not believe in using confinement ladies. Better to get catered food and someone to help some nights / afternoons. Maybe not all are like that? It's horrible to get a wrong one when you are at your most vulnerable. Do not use the Aunty May from Penang teowyh@hotmail