Need help with gestational diabetes..

Ariana

Hey,

Just touched my third trimester. I went for my glucose test (OGTT) 2 weeks ago in KKH, and received a call that I had mild gestational diabetes, and was told to go for a course that costs $300plus; payable by medisave.

Quite puzzling though as usually one or more of these 3 are the result of the diabetes.
1. Family history of diabetes.
2. Failure of previous urine tests during the monthly gynae checkups previously.
3. Baby is too big.

None of the above which I qualify.

The thing also is no matter what your weight is, they still give you the same amount of glucose during the OGTT test.

Any idea what sort of food can I eat or can I or cannot eat?

Thanks sisters..... :)

Last edited:

xicloudix

I went for the course yesterday, torturing to me.... everything got sugar also cannot eat.... those high in fat also cannot coz fat will break down into sugar.... they will actually work out a diet which they says its BALANCED diet and ask you to follow, if possible follow forever....

but an advise by the nurse: walk for about 20- 30 mins after each big meal (breakfast. lunch, dinner) and it will help to lower the sugar lvl, it works for me yesterday...

Infact i suspect i dun even have gestational diabetes, coz i failed the glucose test by 0.2 only! and yesterday all the pricking test (total 7) I pass with good results, I did not even hit anywhere near the "high" range, for eg, before food 3.5-5.5, I am always around the 4.+ area.....

Ariana

Hie there,

Thank you. I went for the course like last Thursday. Yup... So many things to take in, but thank gawd I did not have to change so much of my diet. Except no chocolates at all....

And yes, eating like every 2 hours and checking the blood sugar 7 times almost drove me nuts. My sugar level was also in the normal range though.

But I guess, at least I gotta survive it for hopefully a few more weeks before baby comes.

Thanks again. :)

Last edited:

shopaholic

One thing I learnt through my pregnancies is to eat simply (and plainly) before I go for my gynae checkups. Previously, I had stuff like bee hoon, soya bean, milo drink etc for breakfast and my urine tests didnt come out ok, so gynae sent me for GTT. Thankfully, results came back ok. For me, I am even afraid of doing the GTT. Taking that glucose drink kinda made me puked.

For my 3rd pregnancy, all my urine tests were ok. I even ate durians and drink milo daily. I wouldnt worry too much, I believe you are ok, or maybe just a borderline case. You shd be ok after delivery. But note KKH may send you for GTT again after delivery to confirm you are not diabetic.

xicloudix

Ariana hows urs self test at home? did you "pass" ???? I failed.... when is ur next appointment to go back to ODAC???? I wonder what they will do to me... haizzzz

Ariana

Ariana hows urs self test at home? did you "pass" ???? I failed.... when is your next appointment to go back to ODAC???? I wonder what they will do to me... haizzzz

Hey you.... Mine so far is okay... between 4.1 to 6.2...

I tried their diet and at one point my hands actually started shaking and my knuckles turned blue and the test actually read at 3.6 at one point. So I am back with my normal diet, though I try avoid the cravings for chocolate....

Ariana

One thing I learnt through my pregnancies is to eat simply (and plainly) before I go for my gynae checkups. Previously, I had stuff like bee hoon, soya bean, milo drink etc for breakfast and my urine tests didnt come out ok, so gynae sent me for GTT. Thankfully, results came back ok. For me, I am even afraid of doing the GTT. Taking that glucose drink kinda made me puked.

For my 3rd pregnancy, all my urine tests were ok. I even ate durians and drink milo daily. I wouldnt worry too much, I believe you are ok, or maybe just a borderline case. You should be ok after delivery. But note Kandang Kerbau Hospital may send you for GTT again after delivery to confirm you are not diabetic.

Thanks... At least that's alleviated most of my fears... :)

xicloudix

Hey you.... Mine so far is okay... between 4.1 to 6.2...

I tried their diet and at one point my hands actually started shaking and my knuckles turned blue and the test actually read at 3.6 at one point. So I am back with my normal diet, though I try avoid the cravings for chocolate....

I can't be bothered, i juz simply cut down my sugar intake (less sugar drinks) coz I am working, I can't control what the hawker ppl put in their food... and to stick to their diet is so hard T_T

PTB7476

i feel so demoralized...

my OGTT result was 142 and Gynae wanted me to prick myself 2 times per week and today is the 1st time i did that... i had 2 slice of wholemeal bread with margarine + a glass of milk as per nurse suggestion for breakfast and the result is 7.6mmg that is not good... and now i cant help but worry ...what must i do or eat to keep the sugar level low :(

any suggestion ? my gynea did not send me to any course or see dietician... only nurse at clinic running through G.D notes with me and that's it

i really dont want to reach a stage where i need to inject insulin :(

Phoebii Cheng

i feel so demoralized...

my OGTT result was 142 and Gynae wanted me to prick myself 2 times per week and today is the 1st time i did that... i had 2 slice of wholemeal bread with margarine + a glass of milk as per nurse suggestion for breakfast and the result is 7.6mmg that is not good... and now i cant help but worry ...what must i do or eat to keep the sugar level low :(

any suggestion ? my gynea did not send me to any course or see dietician... only nurse at clinic running through G.D notes with me and that's it

i really dont want to reach a stage where i need to inject insulin :(
Hey the milk that u drink, is it low fat? cos' if the milk is those high in fat content will affect ur results

Tht time I went for course and the nurse there run through with us on what to eat & what not to eat and tell us why and they teach us some simple exercise tht can be done even when we are sitting down in the office

After attending the course, I am more conscious of what to eat and will always check the nurtrition facts before I buy like those high in energy level is also no good

Mayb after breakfast/lunch/dinner it is good to go for a walk as it will help in ur digestion or breakdown of the sugar/carbo in ur body before u test

If u can take up gentle exercise like yoga/aqua aerobics it will help....

Most impt don't stress urself, be happy :tlaugh:

PTB7476

Hey the milk that you drink, is it low fat? cos' if the milk is those high in fat content will affect your results

Tht time I went for course and the nurse there run through with us on what to eat & what not to eat and tell us why and they teach us some simple exercise tht can be done even when we are sitting down in the office

After attending the course, I am more conscious of what to eat and will always check the nurtrition facts before I buy like those high in energy level is also no good

Mayb after breakfast/lunch/dinner it is good to go for a walk as it will help in your digestion or breakdown of the sugar/carbo in your body before you test

If you can take up gentle exercise like yoga/aqua aerobics it will help....

Most impt dont't stress yourself, be happy :tlaugh:
I took HL milk ...that is supposed to be skimmed milk right !!

Phoebi very hard to be happy after seeing the result ... :(

Phoebii Cheng

I took HL milk ...that is supposed to be skimmed milk right !!

Phoebi very hard to be happy after seeing the result ... :(
Dont' worry I also sometimes fail the test too.....:tlaugh:I did some exercise too during pregnancy to keep the sugar level down

Phoebii Cheng

what kind of exercise did you do ?? i try to walk as much as i can ...will that help :embarrassed:
If I am at work, I will try to climb stairs to my office actually is only one flr up hehe.....and I will alight at 2 bus stop away frm office so I walk longer

In the office, I do simple stretching exercise to exercise the legs....tht time I wanted to take up aqua aerobics but no time to go,yoga is good too....

After dinner, I normally will walk around my housing estate with my hubby or go ECP for walks

Phoebii Cheng

Oh btw, mayb you can try taking soya bean drink sometimes but ask not to add the sugar syrup....even drink milo/tea I don't put sugar or milk, it is an acquired taste but it is good in the long run:tlaugh:

PTB7476

i used to pass health screening, blood test etc with flying color and dunno why my 1st pregnancy ended up with high risk/mild G.D in the last trim...

i dont think i can sign up for any aqua aerobic / yoga now...guess now only solution is walk as much as possible... by walking... and some control in diet...hopefully it will help..

xicloudix

HI, do be worry, u are almost gonna give birth...

another key, be happy, nurse told me happy mood better also... so tat why i nv give myself much stress...

walk as much as possible (especially after lunch etc) u can try the low sugar soya bean milk... was told by KK nurse that those hawker soya bean dun have calcium...

Eat more fibre, nurse say fibre will slow down the release of sugar into ur blood....

PTB7476

HI, do be worry, you are almost gonna give birth...

another key, be happy, nurse told me happy mood better also... so that why i never give myself much stress...

walk as much as possible (especially after lunch etc) you can try the low sugar soya bean milk... was told by KK nurse that those hawker soya bean dont have calcium...

Eat more fibre, nurse say fibre will slow down the release of sugar into your blood....
soya bean milk you mean those marigold reduced sugar soya bean milk ?

fibre...i have turned to wheatflour biscuit, oat meal and whole meal bread.. and this morning strictly wholemeal bread and margarine ..and that is why i got a shock when i see the reading at 7.6 :nah: but lunch time i too soupy stuff and i walked 25 mins back to office and the reading was 6.3 ..i guess walking after meal + soupy stuff kind of food .. tomorrow morning will try again... 1 slice of wholemeal + 1 smaller cup of HL milk ...if it is still high guess i have to change milk to other high calcium but low or no sugar beverage and try to go for Low GI food...

and you are right... thank goodness only 2 more month to go :)

Last edited:

PTB7476

i notice ever since i turned to healthy food and cut down on carbo, junk food, sugar food and exercise before and after meal, i have lost some weight. is that normal ?? wonder did the bb lost weight too but i can only know that next monday when i go for my 31st week check up...

kind of worry, baby is not taking in enuff nutritions how :nah: