need tips for travelling with my toddler (long flight)

melanie3

hi i'll be travelling to Australia with my 10month old daugther.
any good tips to handle her, the flight will be quite long. i'm afraid she'll cry due to pressure or something.

for jackets/windbreakers, any good brand to recommend? i still haven't buy any for her.

patsie

R u taking d nite flight?

When I travel 2 Sydney last year wif DD who was 8 mths... We took d nite flight n she basically slept thru d entire flight My only prob was we had 2 carry her as she didn't like d cot on board We were lucky cos we got a BB carrier so it kinda helps

We were there in Oct so we got her those jacket where u cld unzip n d outer layer wld b a windbreaker Got her leggings as well

We r going again this Oct but think it will b a challenge since she is now a toddler who doesn't sit still:p:p:p

Last edited:

melanie3

thanks for the reply! that was what i was worried about also.
im taking the night flight to australia, but back to singapore it's evening (6pm flight). usually she wouldnt have problem going to bed she just need to suckle to sleep. i'm a bit worried how can i breastfeed her to sleep on board! i dont use those nursing covers because my daughter is not used to it, she always pulls everything covering her face.
my daughter has started to walk a bit (assisted), and she wouldnt sit still if she's awake.

feitun

I just come back from gold coast with my 10m bb. we took scoot airline. not a big issue to nurse at flight. we choose the last row of seat and only two seat there. so i can just nurse without the nursing cover. my coming back flight also in the day, ( 9am). So , i just nurse her and feed her porridge, the only problem is she wan to walk over to the walkway, but luckily she took 2 times 2 hrs nap each on flight. so, generally can handle

melanie3

i picked seats with bassinets (emirates). i googled and it looked pretty small for my tall baby. only certain seats are with the bassinets but i dont think they're at the last row tho.. hope for the best that she would sleep. i plan to let her play and exhaust her at the airport so she would be tired enough to sleep soundly on board. she does have some favourite snacks, and i plan to feed her from those heinz bottled food.

my biggest worry is only to deal with the pressure if she's going to be affected, because i myself, am quite sensitive to the cabin pressure i often get sharp pain thru my ears.

patsie

We took emirates too, but as I have mentioned, DD doesnt like it so we didnt put her in it. N you are right, most seats with bassinets are front row.

Just nurse as normal, its okie cos if you have d window seat, it's quite discreet.

As for the pressure, if your DD uses the pacifier, it would helps.

I was like u when I first travel with her. Worried she wld b cranky cos of the pressure, n worried about her not sleeping, etc.... But turned out it was quite okie, she slept through d flight 2 Sydney. Even when we took d domestic flight 2 Melbourne, cos of an hr of technical delays she started 2 b restless, after her feed, she took her nap, even before d flight took off.

Just enjoy d trip.... :Dancing_tongue:

verglas

any good tips to handle her, the flight will be quite long. i'm afraid she'll cry due to pressure or something.

for jackets/windbreakers, any good brand to recommend? i still have not't buy any for her.
give her something to suckle during take offs - bf, pacifier, bottle or sippy cups
i got a new water bottle for my boy for his first flight! Anything new is interesting to them and will keep them occupied for a long time!
also pack enough new stuffs like toys and snacks and pace them out slowly

if it's a night flight, they might sleep through but have the new toys n snacks ready just in case..

during check in, get ground staff to arrange a whole empty row for u so u can get comfortable with the extra space..

As for jackets and windbreakers, I got them off taobao for my trip to goldcoast in July. They have quite a good selection there :)

diza

I've travelled many times with my toddler ever since he's 3 mths. When he was younger it was a smooth flight. When he became more active, I started to pack new toys and snack. Since he's still considered an infant, I always book the bassinet seats so if he can't sit still, I'll let him play/sit/stand. There's plenty of leg room for him to roam abt in that "mini" space. Whenever he's bored with the toy, I'll take out a new one. The toys that I bring are usually hands on type. Eg: bubble wrap plastics for him to pop it, plastic cups and mini pom pom, recycled paper for him to tear to pieces, hand puppets, pipe cleaners for him to bend and twist and many more... I started by going to nearby places and eventually to MEL. Try to select night flights or during ur child's nap time. During landing and taking off, I usually nurse him or bottle feed him to reduce the air pressure.

LeannaLoh

for jackets/windbreakers, any good brand to recommend? i still haven't buy any for her.

Don't forget to bring sweets on the plane for her to suck on during take off and landings. May help ease the pressure in the ears.