need to build up supply before giving birth?

hi mummies

I am due this oct and just wondering if it helps that I start drinking soup and will have more milk supply after I give birth or just wait until I have given birth?

Judy0801

replied

Cherry blossom:879894 said:
hi mummies

I am due this oct and just wondering if it helps that I start drinking soup and will have more milk supply after I give birth or just wait until I have given birth?

hi, you only start feeding after u had given birth... so that's the time you drink... let it be natural I think... no need everyday drink... some of them they naturally have a lot of milk....

Judy0801

Cherry blossom:879950 said:
thanks for your reply. I am just asking whether I need prepare anything hee :)

ok... relax... no need to prepare anything k... and no nd to squeeze the milk out if it start to leak out already k... leave the start for the baby to suck k.... relax....

ast0212

Perhaps mentally prepare hahaha. I found that reading up as much as possible helped me to breastfeed sucessfully through all the difficulties I encountered. Forget parenting books and read up on breastfeeding :)

diza

I second what ast0212 said.. Just prepare urself mentally, do a lot of reading, ask friends who managed to BF exclusively and always remember the concept of demand and supply.

Thanks mummies. haha actually im not first time mum but I didnt bf successfully for my first child only partial bf for 2 months so hoping this time can do it.

btw if I latch, do I stilk need to pump after that? I hope to both latch and give ebm so I can rest. then will I not have enough for latching after I expressed out?

ast0212

Thanks mummies. haha actually im not first time mum but I didnt bf successfully for my first child only partial bf for 2 months so hoping this time can do it.

btw if I latch, do I stilk need to pump after that? I hope to both latch and give ebm so I can rest. then will I not have enough for latching after I expressed out?
No need to pump after latching on as that can lead to oversupply, unless that's what you want in order to store milk. But then you'd have to make sure you always empty the breast otherwise it could lead to blocked ducts. Perhaps pump an hour or so after feeding? It takes breasts around 40 minutes to "refill".

Not sure about other mums but I found expressing to be more work than just latching on hahah. No need to find time to pump, then wash pump and bottles = more rest time :001_302:

diza

Since I'm a working mum and wanted to have a supply of frozen BM, i latch on one side and pump on the other coz while latching, the other side leaks and it "breaks" my heart to see the milk flow freely. But if i am a SAHM, i definitely won't express coz it's really troublesome!! need to wash and sterilise the parts... for some mummies, they didn't succeed to bf coz mainly no support from immediate family members and everyone around them just ask the mummies to give formula.. happened to me. my mom thought that giving babies FM will make them very chubby.. (definitely not true coz my boy was a"Michellin" back then) and one of my aunts even commented i don't have enough milk.. that's y my boy kept crying even an hour after nursing. but i persevere and i was lucky to have friends who were BF pro.. even my hubby was not keen on the idea when my son got BF jaundice. now, i'm still BF but partially only after my boy turned 13 mth. i could not keep up to his demands. Now, i don't express anymore but the supply is still there.

hi ast0212

I do want to store milk but don't know if I am able to have that supply. since you say after latching takes about 40 min to refill so if I pump I should still have supply to latch bb after 2-3 hours from earlier feed? but after latch if I straight away pump the supply wouldn't be much right, so better to wait a while then pump like what u suggest?

ast0212

Cherry blossom:880769 said:
hi ast0212

I do want to store milk but don't know if I am able to have that supply. since you say after latching takes about 40 min to refill so if I pump I should still have supply to latch bb after 2-3 hours from earlier feed? but after latch if I straight away pump the supply wouldn't be much right, so better to wait a while then pump like what u suggest?
Yep if you pump after latching on let's say an hour after a feed, and baby feeds an hour after you pump you'd definitely have lots of supply that way.

But don't forget, newborns can be unpredictable and want to feed every hour or two so it'll be quite difficult to plan when to pump. It really is best to let newborn regulate your milk supply for the first few weeks if you aren't returning to work soon.

The other alternative would be to pump the breast that baby didn't take for their feed....that is if baby only takes one breast per feed. Both my babies would only ever take one breast per feed even though I offered the other. But every baby is different and some empty two breasts per feed.

ladydumbluck

I think as long as you constantly breast feed, there will be enough for your baby. Our body is amazing, and it adapts to our and our baby's needs. If you have your baby breast feed on you often, you will have more to produce since your body is being told that it needs to produce more. But if you stop breast feeding for a while, the milk production will also be reduced. Who needs smartphones? Our bodies are smarter than we give it credit for.