New stem cell to fix child 'Normal'

Angelmum

Good news! I extracted this for yr reading pleasure. It is not cell replacement, seems more like fix what's missing.

October 14, 2009 By David Bauman

Stormy Chamberlain, a research assistant professor in the lab of Marc Lalande at the UConn Health Center, leads a team that has generated new stem cell lines from the cells of Angelman syndrome patients. Photo by Lanny Nagler

(PhysOrg.com) -- With new stem cell lines generated directly from the cells of patients, researchers are able to study how the genetic disorder known as Angelman syndrome develops.

UConn researchers have generated 10 new stem cell lines from the cells of patients with a genetic disorder called Angelman syndrome, that enable them to watch how the disorder unfolds in petri dishes.

It is hoped that the study of these cell lines will provide clues into the root causes of Angelman syndrome by revealing what goes right or wrong as the cells develop. This information could then be utilized in searching for and developing new therapies for treating the disorder.

The research offers dramatic evidence of the use of stem cells in human medicine for drug screening and diagnosing patients.

“We are generating individualized stem cells to create in vitro models of human disease,” says Marc Lalande, director of UConn’s Stem Cell Institute. “This allows us to investigate a disease such as Angelman’s by creating cells from a patient and monitoring their behavior in the laboratory. This type of information is absolutely necessary to improve our ability to diagnose and treat human diseases and neurological disorders.”

Stormy Chamberlain, a research assistant professor working in Lalande’s lab at the UConn Health Center, adds, “Our ultimate goal is to be able to figure out what’s wrong with the cells in order to evaluate drugs that could offer a treatment, possibly even a potential cure for AS.” Chamberlain leads the team that generated the new stem cell lines.

Angelman syndrome is one among a small group of single gene, autism-related neurodevelopmental disorders that affects about one in 15,000 live births. Children with the condition suffer severe mental retardation, lack of speech, seizures, hand flapping, and motor and balance disorders.

Chamberlain notes that patients with the disorder live for the full lifespan, which means they are in constant need of caregivers.

Humans typically have 23 pairs of chromosomes - all of which have a maternal and paternal side - that convey the hereditary traits parents pass to their offspring. Sometimes faulty gene imprinting leads to devastating disorders such as Angelman syndrome, which occurs when individuals, before birth, inherit a damaged or partly missing gene on the maternal copy of chromosome 15.

To generate the 10 new stem cell lines, Chamberlain’s research team inserted a cocktail of genes into skin cells taken from Angelman syndrome patients. This triggered a process that turned back the skin cells’ developmental clock, making them regress to their early embryonic-like or pluripotent state from which they could become any of the body’s 220 different cell types. These new so-called iPS cells - induced pluripotent stem cells - were then carefully cultured, using a variety of growth factors that turned them into functional brain cells called neurons. The process took about 10 weeks.

“With live colonies of neurons in a dish, we can study what might go wrong during their development that leads to Angelman syndrome,” Chamberlain says. “If we discover nothing is wrong with their development, then we can study precisely what is wrong within the neurons - and therein probably lies the defect that we need to find.

The ultimate goal,” she adds, “is to take the neurons, figure out what’s wrong with them, and develop drugs that can fix that defect.”

Chamberlain speculates that Angelman syndrome is not likely to be repaired by cell replacement therapy, which is what a lot of stem cell research is aiming towards these days.

”In our case, we think a better use of Angelman syndrome stem cells is to study the disease and design drugs for this disorder,” she says. Using automated high-throughput instruments, the team will focus on using the iPS cells from Angelman patients to test multiple compounds at the same time and compare them to one another.

That skin cells can be taken from a patient and transformed into stem cells that can be used to test the efficiency of a specific drug against a given disease is something Chamberlain says “I still haven’t quite wrapped my brain around. This is really new,” she added, “putting the patient at the front of the drug delivery process.”

xiaochuan

Stem cells treat cerebral palsy

By Judith Tan
The Conns had spent 18 months researching on the Internet and had, at that time, thought their only option was Duke University.

View more photos

TWO-YEAR-OLD Georgia Conn was diagnosed with cerebral palsy at birth, but is now showing signs of improvement from the disorder after an infusion of her own stem cells - made possible by the banking of her own cord blood shortly after birth.
She was given the infusion on Sept 8 by neurosurgeon Keith Goh in Singapore - making it the first time stem cells from a baby's own cord blood used to treat cerebral palsy here.
It was carried out at the Conns' home after the Health Ministry (MOH) gave the greenlight.
Dr Goh said: 'There was no ethical issue as the cord blood was Georgia's own.'
The Conns had spent 18 months researching on the Internet and had, at that time, thought their only option was Duke University in the United States where 97 children with cerebral palsy were treated with their own cord blood.
Dr Goh has since applied to MOH to conduct clinical trials on using cord blood stem cells to treat cerebral palsy here and hopes to start them early next year.

xiaochuan

If you didnt store, you can use sibling's .... means give birth to another child.
The neurosurgeon mentioned about using the child's bone marrow stem cell for this purpose since we didnt store.
The cost is easily 15k and more for juz the extraction alone.. infusion and other costs not included.

This is a treatment on it's own and certainly not a "CURE" for the condition. We are in a dilemma as to whether we want to pour all family resources into this treatment : ( i.e drain all savings, plus borrow from extended family.

It is definitely a ray of hope but how well the child takes it is a question mark.

Having another child is not an option lah. How to afford when we already special needs child to care for?

So, anyone got any thots? I am thinking abt going to the doc for an assessment and qoute of the costs involved.

Last edited:

myotherapist

Alpha Male
Stemcell has potential to facilitate repair of the central nervous system. More clinical evidence are needed to support its uses. Complementary therapies such as myofascial therapy, occupational therapy and neurofeedback can be very helpful to complement conventional medicine. For example myofascial massage can facililate the release of muscles spasticity and tension to improve body motor function.
Keep you eyes open when seeking interventions. Best Regards

Myotherapist

sushigal

Another 2 articles on the same topic

Cord blood for cerebral-palsy patient -Thu, Dec 03, 2009 my paper
SINCE her birth, little Georgia Conn has had to grapple with the effects of cerebral palsy - suffering up to 50 seizures a day, in the last 21/2 years.

She developed the disorder that affects movement when an accident at birth damaged her brain tissues and nerves.

Her mother, graphic designer Louise Conn, 35, said: "It was heartbreaking. We couldn't do all the things parents take for granted, like going to the shops, as she would scream in pain."

But, after receiving stem-cell treatment using her own cord blood -blood containing stem cells - in September this year, Georgia has regained muscle strength and can sit for more than an hour without pain.

She is the first person to have undergone such treatment here, where neurosurgeon Keith Goh injected her stored cord blood into her veins.
Similar procedures have been performed in the United States and Europe.

Dr Goh estimated that one in every 500 babies is affected by cerebral palsy, which results in poor muscle coordination, involuntary facial and limb twitches, or muscle stiffness.

Conventional treatment can improve the muscle tone of the limbs, but it does not solve the root problem of damage in the brain, which controls the body's motor functions, said Dr Goh.

Injecting cord blood into the patient is believed to result in a significant portion of stem cells going to the brain to repair the damaged neurons, he said.
This has been proven effective in trials on animals, but more studies on humans are needed, he said.

The Health Ministry approved the use of this treatment for Georgia, as it involves her own cells.

He is monitoring Georgia's condition to see if she will need more injections of cord blood.

He will start a clinical trial next year to test the efficacy of using stem cells to treat people with cerebral palsy.

About 10 patients will be involved in the study. The youngest is aged seven months and the oldest is six years old.

The Conns said that they went ahead with the unproven procedure as "any change in her condition would be a great improvement in the quality of life".

The couple, both permanent residents here, dipped into their own savings to pay for the treatment cost of "slightly under $10,000", as insurance companies would not cover Georgia's condition, said her father, banking director Michael Conn, 37.

They estimated that they had saved tens of thousands of dollars by having the therapy here instead of the United States.

Mrs Conn, who had an easy pregnancy, said that they signed up to bank cord blood with private blood bank CordLife a week before Georgia was born.

They never thought they would have to use it.

"It took us over 18 months and an enormous amount of research to find information about the potential for using stem cells, if any, and especially using a child's own cord blood to help children with cerebral palsy," said Mrs Conn.

While they recognise that Georgia's development will be a lot slower, they hope she will be able to "learn the basic human movements and do what comes naturally to most children".

kohht@sph.com.sg

Cord blood for cerebral-palsy patient

sushigal

channelnewsasia.com - Stem cells from umbilical cord used for cerebral palsy treatment

Stem cells from umbilical cord used for cerebral palsy treatment
By Hoe Yeen Nie, Channel NewsAsia | Posted: 02 December 2009 2350 hrs

SINGAPORE: For the first time in Singapore, stem cells from the umbilical cord have been used to treat cerebral palsy - and with positive results.

Every one in 500 babies suffers from the condition worldwide, and the breakthrough could provide hope for more parents in the region, as currently such treatments are mostly done in the US.

Two-year-old Georgia Conn is a much calmer child these days. Until recently, she suffered from frequent seizures, and cried constantly.

Georgia has cerebral palsy, an incurable condition caused by injury to her brain during birth.

On September 8, doctors infused her with her own cord blood; in the hope the stem cells would repair her damaged brain tissue.

Her parents, Michael and Louise Conn, had earlier stored Georgia's umbilical cord cells with private blood bank, CordLife. The Australian nationals are now Singapore Residents.
"Within two days, Georgia was noticeably happier. Just instantly more smiley, chatty and more energetic. That was the first real indication that something was going on," said Louise Conn.

"And since then we all feel, and all her therapists feel, that her muscle tone has reduced, which is enabling her to achieve a lot more within her therapy sessions," she added.

The procedure was done after the Health Ministry gave its approval.

The intravenous transfusion, which took place at Mount Elizabeth Hospital, took about 10 minutes, although tests and post-procedure observation added another several hours. The Conns returned home the same day.

"It is quite a safe procedure. It is like a standard blood transfusion, except that you are using the cord blood cells that were stored. So there is no risk of a reaction, apart from perhaps minor hypersensitivity reactions, as in all blood transfusions," said Dr Keith Goh, neurosurgeon, Mount Elizabeth Hospital.

The Conns had initially considered seeking treatment in the US, but the H1N1 flu outbreak proved to be just one of several obstacles.

Louise Conn said: "The complication is getting family of four of us - we have a six-month old baby, who was going to be very very small when we go over. The complication was flying us all over there, getting to North Carolina.

"The blood had to leave Singapore and arrive in North Carolina and be infused into Georgia within 72 hours. So there were huge risks involved, just the smallest airline delay could really mess with the whole situation."

Georgia will have to continue with physiotherapy, and may undergo another transfusion later in life. Her parents hope that in future, she will be able to attend school with other kids her age.

Doctors hope to begin a clinical trial in Singapore next year, to add to the growing research on the area.

- CNA/sc

sushigal

The neurosurgeon mentioned about using the child's bone marrow stem cell for this purpose since we didnt store.
The cost is easily 15k and more for just the extraction alone.. infusion and other costs not included.

This is a treatment on it's own and certainly not a "CURE" for the condition. We are in a dilemma as to whether we want to pour all family resources into this treatment : ( i.e drain all savings, plus borrow from extended family.

It is definitely a ray of hope but how well the child takes it is a question mark.

Having another child is not an option . How to afford when we already special needs child to care for?

So, anyone got any thots? I am thinking about going to the doc for an assessment and qoute of the costs involved.
Hi Xiaochuan, could you update on the outcome from doc?? Me same as you... didn't store my boy's cord blood... =( This is a hope (though not 100% curable), but i dont want to miss any chance of a treatment to improve boy's condition...

xiaochuan

sushigal,
I called up Dr Keith Goh ytd. He's mentioned that without code blood, the next alternative is using patient's bone marrow.
The extraction will cost 15k

I am still deciding if we should go for consultation. Like i said, it's a ray of hope ... not a cure, but may improve things. There is no guarantee one.

Your case is a development delay, not cerebral palsy rite?

sushigal

sushigal,
I called up Dr Keith Goh ytd. He's mentioned that without code blood, the next alternative is using patient's bone marrow.
The extraction will cost 15k

I am still deciding if we should go for consultation. Like i said, it's a ray of hope ... not a cure, but may improve things. There is no guarantee one.

Your case is a development delay, not cerebral palsy rite?
Thanks xiaochuan. It's developmental delay for now... Doc can't said it's CP though he mentioned at our last visit that he might b a CP case...

Doc want us to bring boy for a MRI scan to determine his diagnoses, but we did not bring boy for the scan... It's just to see what hap to dear son but nothing else can be done... Still have to go for the usual PT & OT... So me & hubby feel no point bring dear son for scan and let him suffer...

xiaochuan

Hi sushigal,

perhaps yours is a mild case. He is mobile,rite?
MRI scan will allow u to know which parts of the brain is injured. Then u can mentally prepare for his condition? I read that stem cell therapy treats mild cp with good results.

I dun know if the scan is anything painful. The process is about 30min. My gal had one done in October. That's y doc can diagnose her as quad cp.

Seriously, this stem cell thing is so new. I also dun noe if i should take the plunge. The consultation for this doc is $100-$250, which is fairly expensive to begin with.

Before seeing him, we also need to get all the mri scan film ready to make the consultation a fruitful one....(so that we dun have to do again and pay more $)

U know, this thing abt PT n OT, i dun know how it will really help the child. I want to be able to weigh the benefits vs costs (in terms of $, time, effort) I know i shouldnt... but we want to do something sustainable within our means. What is your experience?

Long time ago, i feel i should juz leave the child as she is, jus give her basic comfort care will do. That doesnt make me happy at all. I want to help her, but also dun know how far i can sustain the effort. This kind of feeling is torturing me loads, esp when i see all the mummies here putting their best for their children.
Not an excuse, but i do have an elder child to care for as well. Between the 2 of them, with limited resource, how do i then allocate? Obviously more resource for the elder child rite?

Last edited:

epicurean

Thanks xiaochuan. It's developmental delay for now... Doc can't said it's CP though he mentioned at our last visit that he might b a CP case...

Doc want us to bring boy for a MRI scan to determine his diagnoses, but we did not bring boy for the scan... It's just to see what hap to dear son but nothing else can be done... Still have to go for the usual PT & OT... So me & hubby feel no point bring dear son for scan and let him suffer...
Hi sushigal,

I agree with xiaochuan that it would be useful for your boy to do the MRI scan. Reason being that his doc could then have more info on deciding which course of intervention (as well as eliminate other causes that may not apply to your boy) to take rather than 'shoot in the dark'

Seb has done 2 MRI scans. It's not a painful process ... takes around 20-30 minutes. He has to stay very still for the scan ... in Seb's case, that's impossible for him coz of his hypertone so he was placed on a light sedative so he slept his way thru the scan. Plus he was given ear-plugs coz there would be a vibrating, droning sort of sound during the scan. He admitted for the day so that we could claim Medisave for the procedure.

sushigal

Hi sushigal,

perhaps yours is a mild case. He is mobile,rite?
MRI scan will allow you to know which parts of the brain is injured. Then you can mentally prepare for his condition? I read that stem cell therapy treats mild cp with good results.

I dont know if the scan is anything painful. The process is about 30min. My gal had one done in October. That's why doc can diagnose her as quad cp.

Seriously, this stem cell thing is so new. I also dont know if i should take the plunge. The consultation for this doc is $100-$250, which is fairly expensive to begin with.

Before seeing him, we also need to get all the mri scan film ready to make the consultation a fruitful one....(so that we dont have to do again and pay more $)

you know, this thing about PT n OT, i dont know how it will really help the child. I want to be able to weigh the benefits vs costs (in terms of $, time, effort) I know i shouldnt... but we want to do something sustainable within our means. What is your experience?

Long time ago, i feel i should just leave the child as she is, just give her basic comfort care will do. That doesnt make me happy at all. I want to help her, but also dont know how far i can sustain the effort. This kind of feeling is torturing me loads, esp when i see all the mummies here putting their best for their children.
Not an excuse, but i do have an elder child to care for as well. Between the 2 of them, with limited resource, how do i then allocate? Obviously more resource for the elder child rite?
So in any case a MRI scan is necessary if we want to go for a 2nd opinion yah... Yes xiaochuan/epicurean, after discussion with my hubby, we decided to bring dear son for the scan. I rem the doc said something like what epicurean had mentioned. They will let dear son sleep through out. But doc also mentioned that dear son will feel horrible after he wake up lei. that's what stopping us to bring him for the scan. But now tink after both your advise, and seems like not as bad as what the doc mentioned, we decided to fix an appointment for him .

Yes xiaochuan, I tink PT & OT are beneficial. Did see some improvement though not much. A mummy whose daughter same sch with dear son, share that she did a lot of PT/OT at home with her, and she show great improvements. So i believe have to spend a lot and lot of time on doing these therapies for dear son. Me so stress up till i want to try everything that pple had feedback it's good for dear son, till everyday and every moment also so pack with activities and all $$ are in those threatments and plus a super tired and stress up parents.

Last edited:

xiaochuan

It's very scary juz to think about the time n $$ involved.
I got a shock when i called up SPD today to ask abt the EIPIC cost. I nvr expected it to be so expensive.

I am very worried. If i send my child there and the cost is not sustainable. Then really no point. If i dun send her for therapy, she will nvr improve and life drags on for her. Feeling very troubled about this.

Very stressed up when i see all of u here putting in all resources (be it time, effort, $$)for your child, but i am not doing much. Only ask and checking around for solution.

Btw, my hb n i decided to get a second opinion for our gal with that neuro surgeon. Now in the midst of getting her doc ready.

Perhaps stem cell treatment will become a common/ affordable thing in time to come. That will be a dream come true.

epicurean

So in any case a MRI scan is necessary if we want to go for a 2nd opinion yah... Yes xiaochuan/epicurean, after discussion with my hubby, we decided to bring dear son for the scan. I rem the doc said something like what epicurean had mentioned. They will let dear son sleep through out. But doc also mentioned that dear son will feel horrible after he wake up lei. that's what stopping us to bring him for the scan. But now tink after both your advise, and seems like not as bad as what the doc mentioned, we decided to fix an appointment for him .

Yes xiaochuan, I tink PT & OT are beneficial. Did see some improvement though not much. A mummy whose daughter same sch with dear son, share that she did a lot of PT/OT at home with her, and she show great improvements. So i believe have to spend a lot and lot of time on doing these therapies for dear son. Me so stress up till i want to try everything that pple had feedback it's good for dear son, till everyday and every moment also so pack with activities and all $$ are in those threatments and plus a super tired and stress up parents.
sushigal,

From Seb's experience, after the MRI, we waited for him to wake up from the sedative. Then the nurse checked that he was feeding ok before ok'ng him to be discharged. I'm not sure if he felt horrible or how horrible he felt post-MRI coz he was his usual self when he woke up.

My 2-cents' worth ... our journey with our kids is a marathon, not a sprint, so we need to pace ourselves. Please be careful about trying out everything to the point of getting stressed out and burnt out. I really agree with the mummy whom you mentioned ... it's always the daily sustained care at home that makes the most incremental difference over the long term. I find that heartening coz it's what I can do (and can learn to do) to help him without having to rely on others all the time.

Angelmum

It's very scary just to think about the time n $$ involved.
I got a shock when i called up SPD today to ask about the EIPIC cost. I never expected it to be so expensive.
Having a special child is many times more expensive than a normal child. How about we post our comment in http://mohsingapore.blogspot.com/ (Health Minister) and Singapore Budget 2010 ? Feedback for more support? Hope more special needs Netizens could post feedback for Budget 2010 commitee to take note. I intend to post:
1) raise the household income to be cap at household income $3500-4000 (in order to receive financial support), not $1500 or All special needs Sporean will automatically receive discount (lower than C class pricing) for hospital therapies, medical consultation, medication, surgery, etc.
2) Provide Childcare leave for all special needs parents till age 18 not stop at 7 yrs old cos we need more leave to bring our child for medical review, therapies, etc)
3) at least 50% subsidy from govt for purchase of special needs equipment
4) ..... stem cell subsidy??

Last edited:

xiaochuan

Having a special child is many times more expensive than a normal child. How about we post our comment in mohsingapore.blogspot.com (Health Minister Khaw B W) and Singapore Budget 2010 ? Feedback for more support? Hope more special needs Netizens could post feedback for Budget 2010 commitee to take note. I intend to post:
1) raise the household income to be cap at household income $3500-4000 (in order to receive financial support), not $1500 or All special needs Sporean will automatically receive discount (lower than C class pricing) for hospital therapies, medical consultation, medication, surgery, etc.
2) Provide Childcare leave for all special needs parents till age 18 not stop at 7 yrs old cos we need more leave to bring our child for medical review, therapies, etc)
3) at least 50% subsidy from govt for purchase of special needs equipment
4) ..... stem cell subsidy??

U have my support! I am really worried if we can sustain therapy for my gal if the fees are so high.