No milk!!!Help!!

jasobias

Hi baby is now 15 days old.Had tried breastfeeding but nothing is coming out when i squeeze my nipples or try to pump.Been like tht since day 1.Dr did prescribe domperidone.I was badly engorged on 4th day after delivery n then the next day it just went down!!!!Keep putting baby to breast all this while n still kaput!Asked my gynae yesterday n she said some women just dont produce enuf milk.This is my 3rd baby n it was also the same with the first 2.Is there anything i can do to increase milk flow?i wld really like to breastfeed?baby has no problems latchng on.Just tht she spits out breast when she realises there is nothing in it!!:eek:11:

apollo

maybe just let your baby suck your nipple like sucking pacifier to stimulate the bm?? aft trying many method, i still feel that latching on is the best way to 'call out' the milk.. haha..

jasobias

maybe just let your baby suck your nipple like sucking pacifier to stimulate the breast milk?? after trying many method, i still feel that latching on is the best way to 'call out' the milk.. haha..
ok will try tht..she does seem to use it as pacificer..somemore breasts have gone to pre pregnancy size n r soft..does tht really mean no milk?waste money buy the pigeon electric pump coz really wanted to try to at least breastfeed*sigh*

redjn

Some say boil papaya with fish into soup can help. I saw this recipes from babycenter.

Fish and Papaya Soup

Ingredients
• 500 grams of fish bones (preferable to use threadfin - kurau - fish bones)
• 500 grams of green papaya (the flesh of the fruit is white)
• Three litres of water
• Four slices of ginger (this will help cut down any fishy taste or smell)
• Six pips (cloves) of garlic
• Three stalks of spring onion
• Salt to taste

Directions
• Boil the water, then add in the ginger, garlic and spring onion.
• Cut the papaya into small slices. Discard seeds.
• Pour boiling water over the green papaya to remove sap, then drain.
• Combine the fish bones into the boiling pot, followed by the green papaya.
• Turn down the fire, leave to boil for about half an hour to reduce. This should yield about three rice bowls of soup.

The ingredients are all stated here already. Actually just go yahoo search for it can

Newhope

ok will try tht..she does seem to use it as pacificer..somemore breasts have gone to pre pregnancy size and are soft..does tht really mean no milk?waste money buy the pigeon electric pump coz really wanted to try to at least breastfeed*sigh*
Feel that pigeon electric pump not that forceful unlike Mendela electric pump.
I have used pigeon electric pump for my no 1 for a while only.
However, pigeon manual pump seems ok.
I used Avent manual pump for no 2 and 3. (however anchor pt quite delicate, must be careful).

Drink more fluid, papaya with fish soup??
I have engorgement on 4th day when I am back home and I quickly went back to hospital to seek help to release the milk. Then I pump more frequently unless engorgement over. Now I pump 4x a day. ( I/my kids dont know how to latch one).

If all things fail, then switch to formula . dont't be so stressed up over breastfeeding. you can, good, if not, formula milk also can.
Just count your blessing that you have a healthy child.
My 3rd child has birth defect and has really made me very depressed during this maternity leave. So taking care of newborn alrdg very stressful, dont let this small matter upset you.

rainypink

Some say boil papaya with fish into soup can help. I saw this recipes from babycenter.

Fish and Papaya Soup

Ingredients
• 500 grams of fish bones (preferable to use threadfin - kurau - fish bones)
• 500 grams of green papaya (the flesh of the fruit is white)
• Three litres of water
• Four slices of ginger (this will help cut down any fishy taste or smell)
• Six pips (cloves) of garlic
• Three stalks of spring onion
• Salt to taste

Directions
• Boil the water, then add in the ginger, garlic and spring onion.
• Cut the papaya into small slices. Discard seeds.
• Pour boiling water over the green papaya to remove sap, then drain.
• Combine the fish bones into the boiling pot, followed by the green papaya.
• Turn down the fire, leave to boil for about half an hour to reduce. This should yield about three rice bowls of soup.

The ingredients are all stated here already. Actually just go yahoo search for it can
Where to buy green papaya???? The ones you see in NtuC or cold storage can be bought?

what kind? hawaii can?

when you say white in flesh.. what do u mean?
even when i buy green skin papaya.. when i cut it open, inside still orangey leh...

where do we uy green papaya?

stonston

You need to go market, tell uncle you want green papaya for making soup. They'll reserve for you. Usually do not have immediate stock. That's what my mum did during my confinement.

But sometimes can't get, I just use normal papaya that's still hard (unripe). Orange flash but it's ok :)

meiteoh

Did you have a tough labour whereby you lost a lot of blood, am tired or stressed out? Because all those things can have an impact on milk production. The same goes for if you're on family planning, especially if you're using hormone patches or pills that contain estrogen (which affects milk production).

I heard almond milk and fenugreek tea helps as well...maybe you can try it out.

redjn

Where to buy green papaya???? The ones you see in NtuC or cold storage can be bought?

what kind? hawaii can?

when you say white in flesh.. what do you mean?
even when i buy green skin papaya.. when i cut it open, inside still orangey ...

where do we uy green papaya?
I believe should be local type of papaya, they should be able to find in wet market & sometime in most supermarket. All I know most supermarket hardly hv green papaya (not ripe). as for the flesh sorry to say I had not idea also what it means but I strongly believe they should be milky colour & not so white as stated in the recipe. as u mentioned, yours after cut open is orange mean those are ripe papaya already if I remember correctly the un-ripe papaya should not be orangey colour it is more towards very light yellow.

rache1

Hi all, i have a 6 week old gal and on partial bf.. i oso have milk problem and my initial 3 weeks was depressing. Gal is hungry all the time and my family keep asking me to switch to formula. She will latch on for 5 min and gets hungry half an hr later. i tried expressing and all I get after 3 hrs interval on both breasts is a mere 30ml.

Now with 2 hr interval and latch, I sometimes manage to get 60-70ml... So dun give up hope lor.

isabelandrew

Hi baby is now 15 days old.Had tried breastfeeding but nothing is coming out when i squeeze my nipples or try to pump.Been like tht since day 1.Dr did prescribe domperidone.I was badly engorged on 4th day after delivery and then the next day it just went down!!!!Keep putting baby to breast all this while and still kaput!Asked my gynae yesterday and she said some women just dont produce enuf milk.This is my 3rd baby and it was also the same with the first 2.Is there anything i can do to increase milk flow?i wld really like to breastfeed?baby has no problems latchng on.Just tht she spits out breast when she realises there is nothing in it!!:eek:11:

maybe u need to 'fire' your gynae! i think it is abt how perservance we are and how we 'catch' the timing to build up milk.

my gynae & lactation consultant were more supporting when I delivered. our problem, including myself. is we believe we dun hv enough milk becos we dun hv visibility.

my milk came real slow when I delivered. only now I realize this..

when i delivered, the nurse was only bringing me the bb every 4 hrs. while my bb is sleepy and im tired, i did not bother to make sure she suckle.

if i were to make sure that bb is latch on every 2-3hrs at the initial stage, i won't be struggling..........

just my story.

btw, my supply has not been great but i know it is becos i did not do a good job at stimulating my body in the 1st place..

Jia You!

eileenpxp

maybe you need to 'fire' your gynae! i think it is about how perservance we are and how we 'catch' the timing to build up milk.

my gynae & lactation consultant were more supporting when I delivered. our problem, including myself. is we believe we dont have enough milk becos we dont have visibility.

my milk came real slow when I delivered. only now I realize this..

when i delivered, the nurse was only bringing me the baby every 4 hours. while my baby is sleepy and im tired, i did not bother to make sure she suckle.

if i were to make sure that baby is latch on every 2-3hrs at the initial stage, i won't be struggling..........

just my story.

btw, my supply has not been great but i know it is becos i did not do a good job at stimulating my body in the 1st place..

Jia You!
hi mummies,

I also have milk supply problem last time when i delivered my gal more than 1 year ago..now expecting to deliver baby boy in 3 weeks time...the fear is still there...

as a 1st time mummy, i was too embarassed to bf...furthermore the stupid confinement nanny made it worse..she kept saying i didnt have enuff....i persevere with my hubby's support...3 weeks...5 weeks ....my supply still not sufficient....kept relying on formula....bottlefeed also mixed with latching on all sorts..lucky my baby not choosy..worse thing is that i had to go overseas for a short trip during winter time...somehow i felt my milk supply increased..in order to sustain the supply: i pumped out few times...

after the trip, my milk supply was still there..but dropped tremendously...coupled with work stress and the hassle of bring the pump (no pro bf workplace for pumping), I had no choice..but to pump only 2 times a day...worse of all, I got demoralised by insufficient supply...then finally i gave up after 5 months of bf (i think bf supply is only very very little, contributing to less than 1/3 of what my baby drinking). My baby somemore belongs to the ``big baby type'', very hard to satisfy... :embarrassed:

Now, with my 2nd one coming...i m still hopeful that I can do better this time....since i m somewhat experienced..invested in an electric pump (throwing away the manual one)......however cant help feeling the stress from bf.....i feel this is the most stressful..as my milk supply only came in after 5/6 days last time....

Nonetheless, I m optimistic..... and i think relaxing really help a great deal.....
and i really hope to experience the joy of bf which i didnt have much last round :Dancing_tongue:

meanwhile: i m still waiting waiting for the arrival for my little prince,.... lets work hard..you are not ALONE....

to add: you can also call in for help--> breastfeeding hotline--> they do give very good advice...http://www.breastfeeding.org.sg/

:Dancing_wub:

Last edited:

jasobias

Hi mummies,
thanks for all ur support but i had no choice but to give up breastfeeding even partially.Was very hurtful.But despite taking everyones advice..there was still no milk!!I even allowed my baby to suckle every 2 hrs but still nothing.In the end she got frustrated too coz no milk n refused the breast totally.*sigh*
She is now almost 4 weeks old n totally on formula.

isabelandrew

Hi mummies,
thanks for all your support but i had no choice but to give up breastfeeding even partially.Was very hurtful.But despite taking everyones advice..there was still no milk!!I even allowed my baby to suckle every 2 hours but still nothing.In the end she got frustrated too coz no milk and refused the breast totally.*sigh*
She is now almost 4 weeks old and totally on formula.
you wan to call an experienced lactation consultant to help you? sister kang from mt A or Mrs Wong from TMC?

isabelandrew

hi mummies,

I also have milk supply problem last time when i delivered my gal more than 1 year ago..now expecting to deliver baby boy in 3 weeks time...the fear is still there...

as a 1st time mummy, i was too embarassed to bf...furthermore the stupid confinement nanny made it worse..she kept saying i didnt have enuff....i persevere with my hubby's support...3 weeks...5 weeks ....my supply still not sufficient....kept relying on formula....bottlefeed also mixed with latching on all sorts..lucky my baby not choosy..worse thing is that i had to go overseas for a short trip during winter time...somehow i felt my milk supply increased..in order to sustain the supply: i pumped out few times...

after the trip, my milk supply was still there..but dropped tremendously...coupled with work stress and the hassle of bring the pump (no pro bf workplace for pumping), I had no choice..but to pump only 2 times a day...worse of all, I got demoralised by insufficient supply...then finally i gave up after 5 months of bf (i think bf supply is only very very little, contributing to less than 1/3 of what my baby drinking). My baby somemore belongs to the ``big baby type'', very hard to satisfy... :embarrassed:

Now, with my 2nd one coming...i m still hopeful that I can do better this time....since i m somewhat experienced..invested in an electric pump (throwing away the manual one)......however cant help feeling the stress from bf.....i feel this is the most stressful..as my milk supply only came in after 5/6 days last time....

Nonetheless, I m optimistic..... and i think relaxing really help a great deal.....
and i really hope to experience the joy of bf which i didnt have much last round :Dancing_tongue:

meanwhile: i m still waiting waiting for the arrival for my little prince,.... lets work hard..you are not ALONE....

to add: you can also call in for help--> breastfeeding hotline--> they do give very good advice...Breastfeeding Mothers' Support Group (Singapore) - Home

:Dancing_wub:
keep leting your bb suckle at the hosiptal :) my sister did that. now she got alot of milk as compared to her 1st kid.

if im going to have another bb, im going to do that. Plus get a pro BF CL or one that will shut her mouth up abt my BM :p

sister kang taught me not to supplement w FM when i was trying to establish my milk initially. like that force urself to keep latching.

but again.... dun go overboard.

sometimes i am so paranoid that i scold my hubby if he touch my BM.
:001_302: he said i very defensive.

meiteoh

keep leting your baby suckle at the hosiptal :) my sister did that. now she got alot of milk as compared to her 1st kid.

This is so true for me. I let my baby suckle at the hospital every two hours - the midwife sort of psycho-ed me into it because I have a sleepy baby and she can sleep for hours without a feed. The midwife kept going on and on about how I should let her suckle to stimulate milk production and to ensure that she doesn't lose too much weight.

According to her, somehow for Asians, it takes about 10 to 15 days for milk to come in so when my milk came in after the 5th day, all the midwives were very happy and even surprised. They even commented that I'm "working hard" as I have lots of milk (full boobs, sprays of milk - am not kidding - from fast let-down, etc) and my baby is putting on heaps of weight.