Not pumping enough

elfverie

Hi I have been breastfeeding my 6 weeks old boy, not exclusively as I do supplement with either my expressed bf or formula (had mastitis so supply dropped drastically, has been building up since with pumping every feed) but I do latch on 90% of the time.

Will be going back to work in Nov hence would like to cont providing bf for my boy. The problem is whenever I express, I manage to express 25ml on each breast which is way too little to feed my boy in one session. I know its not my supply issue since he is satisfied after each feed (he will cry nonstop if he is not full).

Because of the infection, i got a massage lady to clear the blockage and that was when I realized that I'm pumping way little for a 6 weeks bfing.

I'm using medela freestyle pumping at L6 with a 27mm funnel.

What is the problem? Me or the pump? I usually pump 20mins every 2 hrs if bb is not up for his meal. That max I get is 4 let down.

50ml output for a mum who latch full time is fairly good. Whatever you pump is on top of what your bb drink so I think your supply will increase after some time. The time of the day which u pump will also affect the output. U should see more vol in the morning. Just remember at least one month before u start work try to pump as per your pumping timing in thd office and get someone to help bottle feed. It will help u decide whether there is a need to change your pumping schedule. Usually it will take some time for ur body to adjust to pumping.
As for flange size make sure your nipples are not rubbing against the funnel. If so u need to change to a bigger flange. If too much aerola is drawn in u need to change to a smaller size. Pumping should not hurt.

elfverie

Thanks for the reply. When i pump, it is usually after 2-3 hrs when baby has not eaten yet. I have been pumping since week 1(due to bb having jundices so pumped to let hopsital nurse feed him when im not around)...so by now should be usrd to it? Although if im not going anywhere for the next few daya, i usually dun pump to keep stock..

The flange size i just changed from 24mm to 27mm recommended by the massage lady. It is not rubbing my nipple or too much arelo. Not painful also....

Do u try breast compression during pumping? Also u can try to hand expression after pumping. Since u latch it will be much easier for u to maintain supply when u work. Just focus on getting enough to cover for your bb daily feed while u are away and latch when u are back. Anyway u can start storing now. Bb is only 6 weeks. Time is on your side. :)

the number of let down u have is good. shld not have any problem. most probably u are too tense and stress seeing the amount u pumped out, thinking it is too less. personally think if u keep to yr schedule, u shld try to pump and store early before u return to work.

returning to work might affect yr milk supply too. or in anytime to come, if y menses return, supply will drop too.

pump to store on a fix scehdule if u intend to bf long term:)

by the way, when u are pumping, try massage and compress the surrounding of the breast with hands , u can see more milk pumped out. there is milk in breast, sometimes it just cannot let down efficiently.