Ok to carry 12kg toddler while pregnant

lilcactus

Hi mummies,

Recently tested and realised that I was pregnant (self test but haven't seen gynae to confirm). was wondering if it is ok to still carry my 12kg toddler who is very clingy to me? cos i thought we can't carry heavy things when preg? esp 1st trim?

fioncess

i guess its ur own body tt u can guage.. for mi i was preggy when my daugther turn 1... i carry her till i give birth... but i try not to if i can.. if u feel tired then dun force yourself...

huihui32

it depend on ur body.
when im peggy . i stlll carry my 3 year old son cos he is very stick to me and also feel jealous .

STmummy

same here. Am currently 5 months pregnant with a 2 yr old toddler (13kg). Still carrying him but only very short distance.

But like the other mummies mentioned, listen to your body. if you feel certain aching or unwell, refrain from carrying heavy objects. Definitely difficult to reject your kid.

I had been telling my son that mummy cannot carry him for too long if not mummy will be 'pain pain'. Do you want mummy to be painful? He will shake his head and said 'No', and very seldom ask me to carry him when we go out. But when Daddy is with us, he will always ask to be carried. haha! I guess he knows Daddy can carry him all the way..

PinkDiamonds

I carried my then 8-9 months old girl when I tested positive and had slight spotting. Was put on bedrest for 2 weeks thereafter and told not to carry her. By 1 yr old she was able to walk so I made her walk around the house instead of carrying her. Throughout the pregnancy I carried her very little, & only will carry her when I'm seated.

Yes you should listen to your body, but sometimes it's also good to be safe than sorry. Just avoid carrying whenever necessary. If baby is clingy to you now, then perhaps it's a good time to teach baby to be less clingy, especially since you're expecting another baby who is going to need your attention too.

angiebaby

I having my first baby and I'm 26 weeks old now, but I always carry my dog which is 9kg around even inside the house as he like to be carried and always beg me to carry him, but I didn't lift him up from the ground, I always ask him go up to sofa and I carry him from there so I stress myself back lesser, so far so good

Mummy to Baby V

In the house, I ask 12+kg 2-yr old son to walk, even up/down stairs, just hold his hands.
For cuddling, I do so when sitting / lying down on bed / sofa.
I cuddle him a lot this way through the day, so he hardly asks to be carried when walking around.
He's a clingy boy too.

If really need to carry when outside, Daddy does the job.

XenXuan

I'm 29weeks pregnant now,already can't carry my 14kg 2yr old son for long..since start of this pregnancy,I avoid carrying him much already.. 1 reason is to let hin learn to be more independent,another reason is u won't know when ur body/tummy can't handle the weight even thou u feel u still can manage his weight.. It's dangerous n tiring to carry more than 10kg on u when ur tummy is growing..tat additional pressure n stress laid onto ur body can cause bleeding ,miscarriage or even early labor.. Do consider again b4 carrying ur toddler for long..

shopaholic

I still carried my 1+yo toddler when I was expecting my 2nd one. Like what the mummies said, I let my body tells me if I could do it. If I feel tired or not up to it, I try not to carry. Thankfully, when I was expecting my 3rd one, my elder 2 were old enough not to cling to me.

lilcactus

thank you all mummies who shared valuable experiences and advises here. it really helped. cos my girl really sticks to me, even if she is ok to let daddy carry, it is only for a while. so i'm thinking of ways to train her to be more independent. hopefully when stomach grows, she'll understand that there is a sibling inside. maybe these few days she's been sick, so she's all the more attached to me.

babybull

Hi lilcactus, I'm now 19 weeks and still carrying my 15mth old girl (10kg)... She just started walking not long ago, so I've had no choice but to carry her up and down several flights of stairs, as we stay on the 3rd storey, no lifts. Also carry her within the house cos she's very clingy.

I asked my gynae if it's okay to continue carrying her, he said it should be fine as long as i'm not spotting or feeling the strain. He also said he'll be doing a transvaginal ultrasound to check the cervical length at the 20 weeks detailed scan, and if the cervical length is too short I would have to stop carrying. So far the verdict from him is 'okay'.

XenXuan

I still carry my 2yr old 14kg son up n down stairs or crossing the road too.. But the moment we reach the other side,I will put him down to walk,as I dun have the strength to carry him for longer too.. My family all forbid me from carrying him,usually they will help me carry him or hold his hand walk..

babybull

I still carry my 2yr old 14kg son up n down stairs or crossing the road too.. But the moment we reach the other side,I will put him down to walk,as I dun have the strength to carry him for longer too.. My family all forbid me from carrying him,usually they will help me carry him or hold his hand walk..
Xenxuan - you're so lucky.. we're staying overseas right now, so there's only myself to depend on if hubby isn't around. Worse still, my girl won't let me hold her hand cos she's now at the exploring stage, and I have to run after her on the streets. Luckily bump is still quite tiny still. Wonder how I'm gonna manage when I grow bigger..

XenXuan

Xenxuan - you're so lucky.. we're staying overseas right now, so there's only myself to depend on if hubby isn't around. Worse still, my girl won't let me hold her hand cos she's now at the exploring stage, and I have to run after her on the streets. Luckily bump is still quite tiny still. Wonder how I'm gonna manage when I grow bigger..
i usually let my son run on his own too as he dun like to be held..only if he runs too far away or approaching some potential danger,i will grab him back.. i even got the baby strap that can keep him on leash like a dog,but he break free from it n we nv use it since haha.. u need to guide ur toddler where is safe to walk like pavements walkways n shopping malls, n when needed to be held by adults,like crossing roads,up/down the stairs,crowded areas.. my son knows when the road is rocky tat he will fall,he will ask for carry or hold hands..its not easy at times,will need alot communication n maybe some falls on their own to learn it..

j0reen

it depend on ur body.
when im peggy . i stlll carry my 3 year old son cos he is very stick to me and also feel jealous .
A qn abt it.
Is it true that when mom is preg with 2nd one,
the 1st one who's still a toddler will feel jealous and keep sticking to the preg mom?
as they are scare of mummy got 'snatch' away by 2nd child? xD

babybull

My girl prefers her daddy, but she has been kicking and punching my tummy... so I guess they know and feel jealous?

XenXuan

My son seems to know I'm pregnant even b4 I know it.. He touches my tummy n says "mei mei" when I told him he will have a sister or brother soon.. He become v notti n sticky to me.. As my tummy gets bigger,he start to stick to my hubby more like he knows I can't always handle him as I need to rest..sometimes he juz come hug my tummy or beat my tummy too..

babybull

So was he right? Is your son having a mei mei? =)

We keep asking my gal whether its a didi or meimei and to clap her hands / do some action to affirm but she'll just giggle and play...

XenXuan

ya scans showed he will be having a mei mei in 2mths time.. he knew it even b4 we went for the detail scan at 20weeks to see baby's gender.. old wives tales has 1 saying tat kids will know if the pregnant lady is having boy or girl inside..they will like u if u r having a opposite sex inside.. like my neighbour's girl who's juz a few days younger than my son,stares n give a fed up face whenever she sees me.. LOL i find it so funny haha