organic food

isabelandrew

any mummies can share with me if they feed their babies organic food like organic white rice, vegetables? is it really necessary?

Mummy to Baby V

I try to buy organic grocery for my boy, since he started semi-solids. Now he's 14 months old and I still buy organic vegetables and rice for him.

Fruits: I stopped insisting on organic fruits after a few months because the apples are very expensive -- RM5 each in KL. Organic pears are cheaper but very seasonal. Usually, I buy U.S. apples, U.S. pears or Korea Shingo pears and wash them clean with vege-wash.

I read that is is more important to budget for organic animal products before vegetables/fruits because we can't 'wash' off the harmful chemicals / hormones from animals / milk / eggs.

Therefore, I buy organic eggs and fresh milk for my boy. (Am weaning him from breastmilk to fresh milk.)

I prefer to budget for organic and non-genetically-modified (non-GM) food, while spending less on processed food and restaurant-dining. Do note that some organic food may be GM, they are not equal.

meiteoh

I try to go organic as much as possible, especially with things like grains, fruits and vegetables. If I can't go organic, I buy direct from the farmer (I did this in Switzerland).

Reason being as per what was mentioned by MieVee but also because buying from the farmer means the farmer is getting paid the real value of the veg rather than being paid pittance by the middle person like Cold Storage and etc.

Also buying from the farmer means that I'm buying local (most of the time) and that cuts back on the pollution that occurs from transporting, storing and packing these items to be shipped from wherever they are from to come here - this is why I try to buy seasonal.

isabelandrew

I try to go organic as much as possible, especially with things like grains, fruits and vegetables. If I can't go organic, I buy direct from the farmer (I did this in Switzerland).

Reason being as per what was mentioned by MieVee but also because buying from the farmer means the farmer is getting paid the real value of the veg rather than being paid pittance by the middle person like Cold Storage and etc.

Also buying from the farmer means that I'm buying local (most of the time) and that cuts back on the pollution that occurs from transporting, storing and packing these items to be shipped from wherever they are from to come here - this is why I try to buy seasonal.
Thanks both for your sharing. My hubby insisted to feed my 14mth girl organic. I am thinking not to insist. anyhow - childcare centres which she will soon need to go, do not feed orgranic. I don't want her to fall sick when she is exposed to non-oraganic.
My hubby insisted we choose organic if we can afford.
Local farm - can u share with me where I can buy? Thanks

Mummy to Baby V

Thanks both for your sharing. My hubby insisted to feed my 14mth girl organic. I am thinking not to insist. anyhow - childcare centres which she will soon need to go, do not feed orgranic. I dont't want her to fall sick when she is exposed to non-oraganic.
My hubby insisted we choose organic if we can afford.
Local farm - can you share with me where I can buy? Thanks
In nature, produce have been organic until human beings needed to mass-produce food and created 'innovative' methods such as chemical fertilizers / insecticides, hormonal injections and gene-modification. It is these unnatural food that would potentially damage our health over the long-term.

My philosophy is the whole family eats organic at home where we can afford it. When inconvenient, non-organic is fine.

Of course, there are fake organic food around, so read up on how to choose wisely.

If you ask around, you'd realise that many cancer patients change their diet to organic and also vegetarian after they know of their condition. Commonly, it is when people get serious health conditions then they look into their diet and correct it. Actually, we should start with good eating habits since young to maintain our good health. :)

uddermummy

agree with the above mummies. :) You may also want to choose organic for veg or fruits with thin skin, such as potatoes, sweet potatoes and carrots, cos the pesticides used may leach in through the skin.

Some pple feel that there is no point in eating organic cos organic food doesn't contain more nutrients than the non-organic ones. But I feel that they missed the point of eating organic food, which is to avoid the harmful pesticides and other stuff that have been used to grow the non-organic ones.

But don't always need to die die eat organic, most impt is to eat a healthy and varied diet:001_302:

mandymtb

geezz..... so nice to hv ur hubby insisting to feed organic food... mine keep asking why do i hv to feed organic food... so usually i will do marketing w/o him... cos he keep nagging on and on..

Mummy to Baby V

In fact, I read a report that a research done on an organic fruit (think it was some berries) have higher nutrients than the non-organic ones. Before turning into a vegetarian 2 years ago, I read up extensively on nutrients to make sure I was doing the right thing. It is interesting that the food we eat has been so influenced by commercial interests and even politics. I digress: for e.g. the dairy / soy industry are HUGE, and they promote their interests strongly by trying to prove that we need to eat dairy / soy products.

tanfamily

At home,

The mummy will try to make fresh produce as much as possible- definitley not organic partly the prices are expensive and there is a lot of marketing gimmicks. but we do wash thoroughly with vegetable cleanse

However, two points to note, Klara, my daughter 8 months old, when given steamed organic apples, she will clear the bowl and ask for more, but when given non-organic apples steamed the same way, she hardly finished half a bowl.

Second point, there are indeed many organic brands outside, i gave klara so many organic brands to try. She fussed over gerber, heinz, happy, beg... whatever in the tired, nearly gave up until we tried sprout baby food from USA. They finished the organic banana and brown rice, peach rice pudding very fast.

To do the taste test, reallly organic and non-organic have taste difference, now we bring in sprout organic baby food for her when travel and snack ( we sell balance of the stocks while she ears) and we still steaming apples