OSCAR Results - not good :(

milkshake

Hi everyone

I just got back my OSCAR results and its not good at 1:168. I cried after the call ended and the doc wants me to see him tomorrow.

I'm really worried. Can anyone share their experience if they haven't got any good OSCAR results before and if they proceeded to do Amnio? I'm ok to do Amnio but i'm just worried about the miscarriage risks.

pixie

Don't be upset with the result as OSCAR test is NOT 100% accurate. Let me share with you this incident - it does not happen to me but to my sis-in-law who gave birth to a baby boy one month older than my daughter.

She was really thrilled when she knew that she's carrying a boy as she had a girl already. Like you, her OSCAR result was unfavourable. Hers was 1:240 and she is just 35 yo (I am few years older than her and the ratio for me is 1:2429). She was devastated and cried her lung out. I consoled her and we encourage her to seek 2nd opinion; which she did.
The other gynae adviced her to take amniocentesis test which of course has a 5% miscarry but she decided to do as 'amnio' test has 95-98% of accuracy.

Anyway, the 'amnio' result came back few days later and confirmed that the baby is healthy. The baby was due in May and weighed 3.7kg upon normal delivery. He is a healthy and cheerful 5 months old now.

What you might want to ask yourself is - do you want to risk having a down syndrome baby? or do you rather take that 5% risk of miscarry but know that your baby is 100% normal? If you do not want to take 'amnio' test, would you keep worrying until the baby is born?

Whatever decision you are going to take, remember OSCAR test is not 100% accurate. Take care and God bless.

milkshake

thanks pixie. i just spent an hour reading the internet of similar experiences of 'false negatives' where OSCAR shows high risk but everything turns out fine later. I'm really ok to do Amnio but the biggest problem i have with it is the miscarriage risk. It's like asking me to take a test which is as good as accurate but I face the prospect of losing my first born in the family due to the risks involved in the procedure and the worst prospect would be that the baby is in fact perfectly healthy.

Sigh, I can only pray now. I'm 31 this year so when they did the u/s for NT (2.0mm) and nasal bone (1.8mm), it looked ok and doc said it was looking good given that there's a presence of nasal bone so he's quite comforted by it. After computing the measurements, i remember the score was around 1:1667 so with the combined one, i was quite shocked and depressed.

But thanks again for your story. Worst comes to worst, if i dont want to worry through out my remaining pregnancy, maybe i'll do the amnio.

xiaodaisy

after doing the amnio , try getting very ample rest and bed rest whenever u can ..

tink on the better way , everything will be fine =) good luck mummy !

hueychye79

thanks pixie. i just spent an hour reading the internet of similar experiences of 'false negatives' where OSCAR shows high risk but everything turns out fine later. I'm really ok to do Amnio but the biggest problem i have with it is the miscarriage risk. It's like asking me to take a test which is as good as accurate but I face the prospect of losing my first born in the family due to the risks involved in the procedure and the worst prospect would be that the baby is in fact perfectly healthy.

Sigh, I can only pray now. I'm 31 this year so when they did the u/s for NT (2.0mm) and nasal bone (1.8mm), it looked ok and doc said it was looking good given that there's a presence of nasal bone so he's quite comforted by it. After computing the measurements, i remember the score was around 1:1667 so with the combined one, i was quite shocked and depressed.

But thanks again for your story. Worst comes to worst, if i dont want to worry through out my remaining pregnancy, maybe i'll do the amnio.
Hi,

I undestand your feeling, even I tell you don't worry too much but I am sure you will feel anxious, sad and worry before you do the test and before the result show 'ok'

I am similar experience with you and my son is 2 years old now. He is naughty, playful and active kids now.

Be positive... =)

Hi,

I had the same oscar test result as u, can't remember the actual ratio. I was really worried cos i was 35 yrs old wehn i was pregnant with my first child. Had a good talk with hubby and he said that if the baby has down syndrome, he rather we not keep it so much as i didn't think i could bear not keeping my child, i agreed to get it checked.

I had the same fears as you regarding the amnio test. So i spoke to my gynae and he referred me to this doctor at Camden medical. This doc did a very detailed scan for me and measured every part of the baby's body and was able to tell me that my baby is 100% normal or he will close shop. haha! it cost me $500+ to do the scan but it was well worth the $$ cos i was able to enjoy my pregnancy fully after that reassurance.

I can't remember the doctor's name. will look around and post it if i can find it.

Take care!

Hi,

Here are the details of the doctor i saw. Very well known!!

Antenatal Diagnostic Centre and Well Woman Clinic
Obstetrics & Gynaecology Dr Chinnaiya Anandakumar
Unit No: #06-07/08 Tel: 6333 8621 Web:
www.ssr.com.sg

go see him for a piece of mind ya?

vida vida

Hello KayKay

thanks for sharing. I'm going for my Oscar test this thursday and am v anxious about the results. I'm first time mother, 37 yrs old. So praying that all goes well. Can you share what kind of test/scan your doc at camden did, to measure all the other baby parts? seems like a better alternative (non-invasive) to the horrible amnio.

again, thanks for sharing. :)

Hi,

It's just like the normal scans the gynae does during our normal check up just that the doc at Camden took a lot longer. I think it was a about 2 hrs if I don't remember wrongly.as he goes along, he will chit chat, very friendly doctor so it was not stressful or anything and your hubby an be with u. After the scans, he will pass u a cd ron of all the scans. I had one that caught my gal swinging her arms about so it was quite nice.

I did mine in mid 2009 so i'm not sure if its still the same.

Good luck on your test results!

pehfam

Hi milkshake,

dont't worry, i'm reading came out far worst than yours, it's 1/57! ( Thank God doc called when i was really busy in the office, so no time to think ) Was depress in the evening when things sink in but did pray and decided nothing is going to stop me from staying happy ( which is impt for preggie mommies)

The test was not as bad as it sound, took less than 5min, my doc kept saying he's good :p Was ordered to stay home for 2 days n not move around too much...

The amnio test result was good and doc assured me everything is fine :Dancing_wub:

All i can say is, it's not easy during these period of waiting but whenever i'm hit with a negative thought i rebuke it and choose to stay positive. Hang in there, i'm sure all will be well

milkshake

Vida vida: how was your test? Hope it all turns out normal.

I'm going for my Amnio on this Wednesday. Been telling myself to be positive so far. But i can slowly feel my nerves coming in. Praying it all will be ok and fine. Appreciate all yr replies!

milkshake

Btw did anyone opt for the 'express' results? Just wondering if we wld still get back our full if we opt for express and if the express only tests for certain things compared to full

pehfam

Btw did anyone opt for the 'express' results? Just wondering if we wld still get back our full if we opt for express and if the express only tests for certain things compared to full
Where are you doing your test? I was told the result will take 2 weeks, no one mention about the "express" service... during my test, they told detailed measurement of the baby and kept reassuring us that everything looks normal. The nurse even mentioned that such test are pretty common an on average they perform 7-8 such test per day!!!

milkshake

Where are you doing your test? I was told the result will take 2 weeks, no one mention about the "express" service... during my test, they told detailed measurement of the baby and kept reassuring us that everything looks normal. The nurse even mentioned that such test are pretty common an on average they perform 7-8 such test per day!!!
I'm doing at thompson. They have express results which takes 3 days called PCR or something like that but need to pay more. Yeah the nurse also said amnio was commonly performed

pehfam

I'm doing at thompson. They have express results which takes 3 days called PCR or something like that but need to pay more. Yeah the nurse also said amnio was commonly performed
Oh I did mine at Thomson too! No one told me got express service... u may want to check with them in details what's included in the "express package"

pixie

My sis-in-law had her result through 'express' service. Pehfam, it is NOT an express package - nothing special. By saying 'express service', it just meant that you get your result of the test much quicker (e.g. from 1 week, it will be shortened to 3 days or so) at a cost.....by paying few hundred dollars more.

Last edited:

pocus2000

Hi mums and dads,

We got our Oscar risk today and the results around 1:400+. For my wife's age of 34 the baseline is 300. So doctor consider it medium-high risk.
He recommend us to go for amnio but it's up to us to weight the risks as anmio also around 300 ratio for mc.

We're in a dilemma Cos not sure if the benefits outweighs the risk. Wife's first few Weeks quite unstable and had injection and duphaston so abit jumpy on invasive tests.

Wat would you have done.

pixie

I conceived my girl last year when I was at age of 38 and she is almost 17months old now.
All I can say is while age of the woman does determine that there is a higher risk of having a down syndrome baby but one can only use the ratio shown in the OSCAR scan as a guideline; nothing else.

My ratio was 1:2429 or something like that (within that range).

Personally, I feel that the mood of the pregnant woman throughout her pregnancy is more vital than anything (when one is happy will eat well and think positive, making a not so good pregnancy (e.g. from water retention, feeling nausea, morning sickness etc) easier - a happy mum will produce a happy and healthy baby.

Chin up and stay positive!

Last edited: